A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

dipping HID lights and other problems + video link

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default back in the shop!

As I already noted in my previous posts, I did not believe that it had anything to do with the bulbs. After Audi returned the car, I noticed shaking and flickering of the headlights. The shaking related to some kind of mechanical problem, maybe something broke during the repair? Well... and the flickering? Everybody experienced the headlight problem knows that the "headlight dipped" warning follows the flickering. Yet, I did not have a "headlight dipped" warning not happen. Today it went in the shop. Guess what ... today, the ignitors are faulty and will be replaced. Also, there will be some kind of wedges added to the light to stop the shaking. Will it ever have an end? Again, I am not sure if these repairs will fix the problem as well as why the experiments are done at the customer. I guess that this is the policy of Audi of America.

have a good night and keep your headlights from dipping!
h.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I see there are others with the same problem I'm having. I have a 2005.5 with the driver’s side bulb doing the same thing. What's weird id I can go for a few days with no problems and then the flickering will start again. The dealer wants $500 to replace the bulbs if they're shot, or $900 to replace the control module. Ouch! I'm hoping for a recall. I reported this to NHTSA because it's a safety issue.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default correction

Yesterday I was told that the igniters were going to be exchanged. As it turns out, this information was not correct. Audi replaced both ballasts as well as put spacers such that the light stops shaking. Trusting my own research that should fix the problem. I will update if something starts acting up!
Old 05-20-2010, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fourcams
I see there are others with the same problem I'm having. I have a 2005.5 with the driver’s side bulb doing the same thing. What's weird id I can go for a few days with no problems and then the flickering will start again. The dealer wants $500 to replace the bulbs if they're shot, or $900 to replace the control module. Ouch! I'm hoping for a recall. I reported this to NHTSA because it's a safety issue.

My driver side headlight they had to replace the controller and bulb. thank God it was under warranty.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lemon77audi
...Yet, I appreciate the fact that they replaced the bulbs for free (I think they are not covered on a 2006 warranty).
I just bought a used 2006 S4, and my left bulb is doing the same thing (61,000k miles). I used to own a 2002 A4, and had the same problem then at 70,000k miles. The dealer told me then "wtare had entered the ballast..." Right. Anyway, are you in Florida by chance? I'd love to learn the name of the dealer that replaced it for free

Thanks for all the info guys, glad (and upset) that I'm not alone here.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry, new here. Couldn't figure out how to edit my post.

EDIT: The dealer told me then "wtare had entered the ballast..." = "WATER had entered the ballast"

Thanks
Old 05-26-2010, 12:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I had same problem....

One free solution previously mentioned is to manually turn the headlights off and back on again. This only worked on my dipped headlight up to a point until the controller failed completely. The procedure at Audi is to swap the offending controller to the other side.

The controller for the passenger headlight was replaced under warranty and it was about $500.

Sadly, you want reliable, buy Hyundai, not Audi.... Also, that is why I purchased Audi CPO when I bought car used! REvo select to the rescue, LOL

BB
Old 06-22-2010, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Ok so this is whats up, im getting passenger dipped headlight warning becuase it flickers sometimes going out other times not going out. You shut the ligths and turn them back on to get it working again as everyone knows.
I personally installed new bulbs, No luck, i installed new ballast, no luck, i installed a new wire going from the bulb to the ballast, no luck. WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO TRY! i reported to safety commision
Old 06-23-2010, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by shrty10135
Ok so this is whats up, im getting passenger dipped headlight warning becuase it flickers sometimes going out other times not going out. You shut the ligths and turn them back on to get it working again as everyone knows.
I personally installed new bulbs, No luck, i installed new ballast, no luck, i installed a new wire going from the bulb to the ballast, no luck. WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO TRY! i reported to safety commision
Have you seen this thread? I posted it about a week ago. I'd be very interested to hear if this also works for you.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2784952
Old 06-28-2010, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by A4QuattroGuy
Have you seen this thread? I posted it about a week ago. I'd be very interested to hear if this also works for you.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2784952
i have that cover over my battery already

Quick Reply: dipping HID lights and other problems + video link