A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

EPC Light On/Off - New Owner - Lots of anxiety ;P

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EPC Light On/Off - New Owner - Lots of anxiety ;P

Hey there, I just purchased a 2008 A4 S Line 3.2 Quattro. Manual. Love it so far, but very shortly after I got it home the EPC light flickered on. It seemed to happen once I'd reached a higher speed (50+). No other problems were noted. I can't use cruise control but I assume that's a safety feature for when the EPC is lit up.

Next time I started up the car the light was back off, but again, after going over 50mph or so (I don't know the exact speed) the light popped back on.

Today the light has stayed off, even after making it up to 70mph, but now I'm getting a Right Brake Light error. Sure enough, now the right brake light is out.

Are the two related? I've read a lot about throttle issues/stalling engines and nothing else seems to be wrong with the car. I'm nervous about it seeing as how I just bought the thing, and won't be able to get it to our mechanic until Wednesday. Hence, my post here.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

(Sidenote, how do I know if my 08 is a B7 or B8? Looks like there was some overlap for 2008 models?)
Old 08-21-2017, 01:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The EPC light is telling you there is a fault that will impact on the engine if you don't fix it. It's not the fault in itself. You need to get a scan for the error codes otherwise your just guessing. Now the catch. The first time you scan it, it may bring up numerous errors, the system logs all sorts of minor data but you are looking for the error that then has EPC on with it. There's numerous scanners very cheap in the market, if you decide to purchase one make sure it's a VAG capable. Generic obd2 will only scan really basic engine codes, a VAG scanner will scan all the modules. Other option is get a local shop with a vag scanner to do it but they will charge you for the time.
Whenever I scan for friends I normally reset everything, go for a drive then rescan as the modules will hold old data that just confuses things.
Now for the guessing of you issue. Most common cause will be a vacuum leak. It's not so much how fast you were driving but how fast the engine accelerated. With the engine cold, take the covers off and just inspect each and every black hose, your looking for a crack or loose clamp. There's heaps and you will get dirty, a flashlight helps. It can be any number of other issues, but start with the simple no cost solutions.