A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Finally saw it in person at the Auto show... my worst fears are true. Way too much front overhang

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Finally saw it in person at the Auto show... my worst fears are true. Way too much front overhang

After seeing pictures of the new A4, I thought it had too much overhang, but I figured I'd withhold final judgement until seeing it in person, because I realize sometimes camera angles can play tricks on you and exaggerate certain features. So when viewing it head on from the front, I actually like the front facia, the new grill, and headlights. I'm fine with all of that. I even think the new *** looks good too. But from the side, that overhang... hideous. It's just too much for my taste. When I first looked at it, my first thought was... "Any longer and it's going to start looking like the overhang of a f*cking Pontiac Trans-Am."

I realize that is a trivial issue when considering the performance upgrades to the suspension and engine, however, if it doesn't thrill me to look at, then I can't justify the purchase. In order for me to justify the extra cost over a slightly used B6, the new B7 would have had to absolutely knock my socks off. But it didn't. I know it would always bother me to look at that overhang every day.

So after finally viewing the B7, I've made up my mind to stick with my original plan of finding a late model used 04 B6 Audi Certified in the next couple months, instead of buying a new B7. I'll get a longer warranty, take less of a depreciation hit, and a car with the look that thrills me to look at. I currently have a B5 that is ready to retire so I'm getting ready to buy something in the next couple months. I figure once the B7 hits the show rooms, plenty of people will be trading in their recently leased or purchased 04's to get the newest B7, so I expect to see an in-rush of used 04 A4's in the next couple of months to choose from with the colors and options I'm looking for.

Oh, and a big thumbs down to the Audi booth for pulling a lame-*** move by keeping all the A4's locked so you can't sit in them. WTF!!! Isn't the purpose of the Auto show to be able to get in the cars and really take a closer look at them?
Old 02-14-2005, 10:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't count on it!!!!

Maybe you should drive a B7 first....
Old 02-15-2005, 03:48 AM

Alex what is the warranty on the B7
Old 02-15-2005, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Like I said...

I'm not knocking the performance... I'm sure it outperforms the B6, however the B6 is plenty good enough for me as far as performance is concerned, and I like the look much better. And I can't justify spending over $30k on a car. Just can't do it.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm sure it is the same as all other Audi warranty... 5/50

Audi Certified is the better choice for me.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Totally agree. The huge front overhang absolutely ruins the design.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:03 PM

Still the same. 4 yrs/50k
Old 02-16-2005, 07:08 AM

Default Re: Like I said...

Cars are rediculously cheap over there. The B7 A4 TQ will be approx AU$70k which = over US$50k.

I was just looking at the Pontiac GTO - which is built in Australia, then shipped to the US.

In the US the MSSRP is US$32,995
In Australia the base model is AU$78,690 = US$59k.

Just rediculous.

My point is, stop complaing about the "high" price of new cars
Old 02-16-2005, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it's all relative, and I'm not complaining about prices...

they are what they are and I accept that. If I was complaining I'd say "GOSH... why can't they make them cheaper?!?!?" No, I'm just saying... "That car, new, is out of my price range, THEREFORE, I'll get a USED one instead," and I'm happy with that.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:40 AM

hehe fair nuf. I was in a crap mood yesterday, forgive me

Quick Reply: Finally saw it in person at the Auto show... my worst fears are true. Way too much front overhang