A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

First impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First impressions

Well, folks, the B7 3.2 6MT I ordered finally came in on Monday. First impressions, after a few days of driving it around:

- Great build quality, fit and finish - feels solid

- Love the 3.2 engine. Coming from a Miata, I have to get used to all that power and low-end torque. It's definitely happier in a lower rev range than I'm used to.

- Still getting used to slightly tricky takeoff from standstill (clutch friction point). Shifter started off notchy, but is smoothing out really nicely.

- Getting used to having a 6-speed manual, too. Drove it 15 miles on the freeway before remembering to put it into 6th!

- Love the interior environment (which is one of the things that sold me on the A4). It's a little dated-looking compared to some other cars, but so well-crafted and comfortable.

- I find the center console restricts where I put me knee, but getting more used to it

- Really glad I chose the platinum interior. I love the light color, and how it looks with the dark wood trim.

- It's a tight little car inside, but as a drivers' car I'm glad it's a small package overall. Rear seat is adequate. Would be nice on the B8 to open up the area around the driver a little. Make it a little less cramped: console intrusion, parking brake/armrest/cupholder overlap, etc. This is old stuff, I know.

- Haven't had much chance to fling it around yet, but managed to get myself in over my head a few times, thinking it's my old Miata. It handles very well, but it's a much bigger car (and on all-seasons)!

- The Bi-Xenon headlamps are cool. Amazingly sharp cutoff at the upper edge of the beam. When driving out in the country, it almost feels like you've lost the upper part of your vision - you want to look "under" whatever is blocking it.

Overall, I'm really enjoying this car, and glad I bought it. Thanks to you all on this forum for all the great info when I was choosing. SF bay area Audi drivers, I'll see you out on the road!

Dave
Old 05-11-2006, 04:30 AM

Yah.... The hand brake hitting the armrest is annoying
Old 05-11-2006, 05:05 AM
RKJ
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Why didn't Audi recess the bottom of the armrest to accept the handbrake?!?

It's almost as if one guy designed the armrest, someone else did the handbrake and no-one noticed the interference until production started.

It's a minor thing I know, but very annoying to have to readjust the armrest every time.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Especially if you have a manual tranny. A simple notch would have done the trick!
Old 05-11-2006, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have never had the armrest down in any of my three A4 cars. I just leave the damn thing up.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Agreed...easily the most annoying aspect of the car...

fortunately, so far, it's the ONLY annoying aspect of the car.

Regards,
Joel
'05.5 A4 2.0TQMSX
Old 05-11-2006, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

how come we dont have the push button hand brake,like the A6, friggin passats have them,LOL
Old 05-11-2006, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I have never had the armrest down in any of my three A4 cars. I just leave the damn thing up.

I have an auto so that may make all the difference, but the fact that I can adjust that armrest is honestly one of the key reasons I bought a second A4.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:20 AM
RKJ
AudiWorld Senior Member

Now there's an intersting mod. What would it take to add passat pushbutton parking brake?
Old 05-11-2006, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

That's assuming you don't use the hand brake for steep hills, etc.

Quick Reply: First impressions