A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Lease up 9/30 considering leaving Audi

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Lease up 9/30 considering leaving Audi

The lease on my 06 A4 2.0T Quattro w/Tip is up the end of September. I have been assuming I would get another A4 since I need AWD or 4WD for winter driving and I don't want a BMW or MB.The other day just on a lark I stopped by and test drove an 07 Acura RDX. I was so impressed with the vehicle I am now leaning at least 70% in favor of the RDX. I came back two days later and drove a different one and I felt the same about that one. The engine and transmission (each taken in isolation as well as taken together as a team) are so much smoother, more linear and more seamless than the 2.0T and the Tiptronic on my A4. When I got back in the Audi after a 20 minute test drive in the RDX I felt like I was in a much older, cruder machine. The Audi engine vibration at idle and the hesitation on launch with the Tiptronic seemed magnified in comparison to the Acura which was silent, smooth and had great linear response. The driving dynamics of the RDX seemed better as well. My A4 always seems at the edge of losing control on sharp turns and I am frequently passed by old Altimas and vans in the twisty's as the A4 seems to dart left and right. All these negatives have been conveyed to the dealer, checked out and given the "OK" by their techs, citing the wide tires as something I need to get used to. I really love the Audi's interior, but last week I almost had an accident in my A4 when I hit the gas at like 2 mph to pull out and get around a stalled car and the transmission just felt dead and the car finally just lurched forward and stumbled. The cars that were a good 300 feet behind me in the lane I was pulling into were right on my butt at that point & tooting their horns. That experience (and similar earlier ones) convinced me the A4 might not be the safest thing around in traffic.
Old 07-12-2007, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I disagree with most of your opinions, however...

Audi has a REAL problem with the tiptronic "stall" which occurs when the transmission does not know what to do at low speeds creeping up to or away from a stop sign.

Its mainly when the car does not come to a complete stop and wants to stay in 2nd but throttle input tells it otherwise. Traction control works into this mix as well since it is cutting power once you DO finally get the car to go and you have people approaching you from the rear at an excessive rate.

I had heard there was some sort of calibration between the drive-by-wire gas pedal and the throttle plate but the dealer denies this although they have experienced the issue in my car and others...
Old 07-12-2007, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, I'm really disappointed with Audi's automatic in the A4. It ruins the car and I can only

imagine how bad it is in the 4cyl. The shifts in the first 3 gears are far from perfect and the pause while ECU decides which gear to select upon accelerating from a slowdown is annoying to say the least. I really don't understand why there is an issue with this in the V6 model. Its got enough power to accelerate from 5-10mph in any of the first 3 gears. Just stay in the freaking gear and move, its not like I'm hitting the kick down switch.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Re: I disagree with most of your opinions, however...

I may be overstating my A4's handling issues, but even the brakes I feel are squirrelly - this is about the 5th car I've had with ABS and the first to pull to one side when I hit the brakes relatively lightly to slow down like from 60 mph with a target of 50 mph. The car pulls one way or the other at first but steadies the harder I push. I have actually never felt the ABS pulse, probably a tribute to the traction capabilities of the whole setup. It may be just my car, but I really feel it is not as good a handler as my last "car" a 2002 Altima 2.5 I bought new. That car I felt I could take to its limits easily and liked zigging in and out of slow traffic. The Audi feels strange - never actually broke loose, but there are times the movement of the vehicle seems delayed from the steering input, then it tends to over-react. Maybe that is how it is setup and I just prefer something more of an under steerer. I was actually quite surprised with the RDX - have you driven it? The ride is nailed by all the carzines as harsh but I felt it was very compliant and soaked up a lot of broken pavement with no fuss and nothing vibrating in the cabin. Anyway - enjoy your Audi - I still might get another A4 - I'm trying to figure out if mine is typical of the breed. Also, I really don't like the engine vibration at stop lights with AC on and in D - not really what one expects in a $37,000 car.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default 4 cyl + tip is 99% of your problem

4 cylinder engines inherently vibrate at a stop with an automatic transmission. It may be a $37k car, but it is a 4 cylinder engine.

However, as for the statement --

"My A4 always seems at the edge of losing control on sharp turns and I am frequently passed by old Altimas and vans in the twisty's as the A4 seems to dart left and right."

--I'll be a little less diplomatic than some of the other responders ("I disagree with most of your opinions...")

my question is "what are you smoking?"

Audis with Quattro don't tend to "dart;" I've had 4, including 2 with ~120k miles, and one with ~225k miles. "Dart" seems like a strange term applied to an Audi Quattro.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:20 AM

Default WOW, my car feels nothing like what you describe.

I love the drive of my car, especially after the needed ecu flash. The handling, stopping, and ride are all superior. The hp can be remedied with a couple mods, but that's what you get with a 4 cylinder. I still think that the FSI 2.0 is a pretty strong engine, definate improvement over the 1.8.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:48 AM

Default You should leave, you don't know how to drive

You
Old 07-12-2007, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Never heard of these complaints before.

The A4 has long been known to handle well. Never been darty or hard to control. Brakes should never pull to one side. You have a mechanical problem if they are. To solve the hesitation problems, you have to dump Quattro. The CVT does not hesitate from a stop like the Tiptronic does. You'll also improve handling with the less weight. But you mentioned you need AWD, so that option is out. The RDX is a nice piece, no arguement there. But the Honda materials are cheap inside (there is a big difference between my A4 and my mom's MDX), the dash looks busy, and you still have some extra mass to control in emergency situations. Factor in worse fuel economy too. Good luck with your choice and think everything through carefully.
Old 07-12-2007, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Sorry to hear that you're having problems, but...

It sounds like you have a poorly set up car..I'm on my 2nd Audi (Avant), both of which have had the sport suspension, both of which handle like they're on rails, the latest (an 06 Avant S-Line 2.0T) does some amazing things on freeway exits at speed. With regards to the engine, 200hp from a 2.0 litre, 4 cylinder is pretty damn good considering the mpg the cars are rated for (and they're heavy). I have a manual (the only way to drive.. ;-), so I can't comment on the TIP problems, although I've read other reports that it can be an issue. Your squirrely braking sounds like one pad is biting before the other, which can be caused by a few different things (sticking pad, air in the system..) so if it's under warranty, complain and get it repaired. My suggestion would be to take an 07 S-line or non-S line, but with sport suspension, out for a test drive and take it around some sharp corners...fast...you may be pleasantly surprised..

Have fun,

Regards, Nick
Old 07-12-2007, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ? To solve hesitation he has to dump quattro ? How about Audi equipping the car with the proper

tranny, or specifically better matched tq converter? Quattro has nothing to do with hesitation problem.

Quick Reply: Lease up 9/30 considering leaving Audi