A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

My brand new 2007 A4 - accelerator "hiccup"

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My brand new 2007 A4 - accelerator "hiccup"

I got a 2007 A4 2.0 in January this year and I experienced this weird "hiccup" sensation while driving it. It happened a couple of times during my first month of owning the car but I thought I had to get used to the new car. The first time I experienced this, I thought I had my foot on the break instead of the accelerator because something kicked back against my foot and the car stopped for a second as if I braked. But it happened again in the last couple of weeks, when I was driving on the highway, and I am getting a bid worried. I had a passenger in my car when it happened recently and she felt the sudden brake sensation in the car and described it as a "hiccup" which I thought was very descriptive. Have any of you experienced this phenomenon? My first 5000 mile service is not due for another 2 months or so. Should I wait till then or get someone to take a look asap? Any idea what could be the cause? Thanks.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

have dealership look at it asap!
Old 05-28-2007, 01:57 PM

Default i might be experiencing the same thing

what exactly are you doing to cause this? is it happening randomly when your foot is steady on the accelerator? i'm getting a "hiccup" sensation but for me it happens when i'm at higher RPMs, probably over 4000, and i let off the accelerator. it feels like the car lurches and i definetly feel a bump in the pedal. i wouldn't call it a kick back, it's not too strong but very noticeable. i'm at 15k, doing the service this week, but it's been happening since maybe 10k. any comments from anyone who knows the details would be very helpful!
Old 05-28-2007, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Are you accelerating or engine braking at the time? Also MT or AT? Either way take it in.

Also, it's brake and braked.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Are you accelerating or engine braking at the time? Also MT or AT? Either way take it in.

I think it is the same thing that PrplhazeB7 experienced. But mine happened within the first 50 miles. Thanks for the spelling correction by the way.
Old 05-28-2007, 04:14 PM

Default Re: i might be experiencing the same thing

I think we both had similar experiences. It happens randomly when I am driving, but I think it was when my foot was on and off and back on the accelerator. It definitely startles me everytime it happens, about 5-9 times in the last 4 months. For me, it is as if something kicks back against my foot. I was not sure if it was just the driver who would feel it, but this weekend confirmed that the passenger also felt it.

I called the dealer and he did not think it was serious and thought I could wait till 5,000 to bring the car in for a checkup. But I only have 2,500 miles right now and should not wait longer.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default similar thing happened to me ...

and then my tiptronic transmission died. car was 6mo old, with somewhat more than 5k miles (7k?) if i recall.

it didn't feel so much like the brakes were kicking in as it did like the transmission was missing gears or shifting to the wrong one. it felt more like a hard mechanical jerk instead of hard braking.

i think prplhazeb7 is experiencing something different, that i still experience with my new transmission. i think tip gets confused when you're accelerating and you release the accelerator at the wrong time. like it takes the opportunity during a pause in the accleration to shift up, then realizes you're coming OFF the accelerator, so shifts back down. i find this happens consistently in stop and go traffic, esp coming in and out of third gear. i'm not driving hard either. it's just that regular Drive shifts up too quickly, and it makes a beeline to 3rd when you've only hit like 20 mph and gone like 10-20 ft. then traffic stops and tip seems hesitant and a little jerky. in spastic stop-and-go traffic, i sometimes go to sport just to delay the shifting (and obviously also try to smooth out the ride so as to not propagate the go-hard-stop-hard wave).

the bummer is that i don't remember this occurring in my B5, with or without APR. and it seems most pronounced around 3rd gear. i may be a bit hypersensitive to this after the horror of having my tiptronic freaking out on me on the freeway.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:32 AM

Default Re: My brand new 2007 A4 - accelerator "hiccup"

I'm running into a similar situation on my 1 month old 2.0T. I was convinced it's due to the fact that I have not spent much time in an automatic for several years. On a couple of times my car has seemed to slam into gear, always at low speed in slow traffic. I also thought maybe the stop and go traffic sometimes confuses the tranny as to what "gear" it's supposed to be in. I'll be following this thread to see what happens.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:59 PM

Default Re: My brand new 2007 A4 - accelerator "hiccup"

I am bringing my car to the dealership this thursday. Until about 2 weeks ago, I remember I experienced this only at relatively low speed, but these last 2 weekends, it happened on the highways, when I was driving at around 65-75 mph....
Old 05-30-2007, 02:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default high speed tranny problem sounds scary ...

fyi, when i brought mine in, they said they did a full download of the "software" -- i don't know if that means the ecu that's reprogrammed by APR. nearly gave me a heart attack. i DID switch it to stock while i was waiting for my tow, but i assume they could've figured it out if they really wanted to.

the dealer said they had a full review of the case with some audi engineers, so they could figure out if what i was experiencing was going to be a systemic problem for the model year. don't know what they concluded.

when it finally totally crapped out on me, i was on the freeway but not going fast. first it slammed me to a halt in mid-lane change, which i'm sure appeared to others like i stalled my car on manual. then the problem cleared up until a few minutes later when it slammed into some low gear (1st or 2nd) and then refused to shift out, even when i tried the paddles and the tip manual.

i can't imagine something that severe happening at high speed.

Quick Reply: My brand new 2007 A4 - accelerator "hiccup"