A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

New 06 A4 2.0T w/tip vibration

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
Default New 06 A4 2.0T w/tip vibration

Have had my new Quartz A4 for just 8 days and noticed today on my first real ride that there is a constant low-level vibration that seems to be all over: front and rear, left and right side. I feel it in the steering wheel and through the seats. I've never had this kind of thing before in any other car - in the past if there was a vibration it wouold change with speed, feel like it's from a specific location (the front, left rear, whatever). With my new A4 it is almost like a constant humming, the wheel doesn't shake like a wheel out of balance and the speed of the car doesn't affect it either. If I put the tranny in N it seems to lessen. I was thinking it might be the Quattro (I've never had it before, only P/T 4-wheel drive on my 98 Trooper). Also, could be the suspension, but overall the suspension (it is the standard - not sport) seems fairly compliant/soft. Another thought, when I checked the tires at 60 degrees after sitting in the shade for 45 minutes they were all registering 38 PSI (obviously what the dealer had set them at last week). I checked the door post sticker and it indicates that for my 235/45x17 "H" rated tires they should be 33 PSI all around for light load and 36 PSI for full load (95% of the time it is just me, so I'd personaly opt for 34-35 PSI). I used two Accu Tire gauges (cost about $30 each) I keep with me and both were exactly the same: 38 PSI all around. These are supposed to be fairly accurate gauges. Should I reduce the pressure? - could this be a contributor to the vibration, or is it normal for an A4? Any input?
Old 10-10-2005, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New 06 A4 2.0T w/tip vibration

My new A4 did the same thing last month but since I put different tires on it at 250 miles the dealer would not do anything. I finally got it into the dealer and they said the suspension was fine and that most likely the tires needed balancing. I had them dynamically balanced at the tire store, and that helpef, but I still have the shakes especially while cornering. The dealer wanted $150.00 to balance the wheels and tires.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default We have the same problem with our 06 A4 Avant 2.0TQM...

I don't know if it is the tires or the wheels... or something else, but it is definitely not normal. There is a noticeable vibration felt through the steering wheel at ~50-60 mph. It seems to come and go... and if I don't happen to feel it while driving straight, I can begin to feel the vibes again while traveling quickly around a curve.

At higher speeds, we also have that "all-over" vibration that you described... through the floorboards, etc. We just bought the car not quite two weeks ago.

I want to get this figured out because it is very annoying and should not be happening.

I'm thinking the wheels are grossly out-of-balance -- so much that dynamic road-force balancing won't help 100%. Our dealer is going to work with us on this... I'll post any updates here.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 10-11-2005, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: We have the same problem with our 06 A4 Avant 2.0TQM...

Today I lowered my tire pressure to what is indicated on the driver's door post (36 PSI for full load). The Audi dealer had set them at 38.5 PSI on three wheels and 39.5 PSI on the 4th. I then drove around a bit and the problem seems gone, also the handling is way better. With the right rear set 1.5 PSI higher than the other 3, and the whole set-up well beyond recommended (33 ight load, 36 heavy laod) I was getting fish-tailing as I entered turns. Now it is tracking very true even in the rain.
Sorry your problem seems worse, but fight the good fight, I don't think Audi wants unhappy customers as they have set their goal in the US to equal or best BMW in sales. Quite a reach, but that's their goal. Good luck!!
Old 10-12-2005, 06:00 AM

Default Re: New 06 A4 2.0T w/tip vibration

Mine is an 05.5 2.0t with tip and had the same problem on delivery. I have had it back 4 times and it's been in for a total of 32 days. Still not there. Ridiculous.

The dealer has been cool about it but they have been concentarting on the wheel/tire combo and road force values. They changed me from Pirellis to Contis and with the RF values around 5-7 it seems about 90% better but it's still there. It starts around 53-57 mph for the steering wheel shakes and above that for the entire car shakes.

They were able to identify the same issue on nearly every A4 on their lot so we're not alone. I have put in for a lemon law buyout because of the time and amount of visits I have had for this issue.

I love the car minus this issue but if Audi doesn't step it up I am going back to BMW.

Eric
Old 10-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default ***UPDATE*** -- Solution from the service manager at our dealer...

I called back today and the service manager informed me of what he learned at a meeting yesterday. He said the found the problem by accident...

Apparently, they (Audi) started using a silicone-based lube that makes it easier to mount the tires onto the wheels. Well, this silicone stuff is pretty slick. As a result, the tire actually moves around the wheel as you drive. They can road-force balance until they're blue in the face, but the vibrations will always return.

This can happen after driving only a mile or two following a re-balance. Thus, if the tire moves in this manner, it pretty much renders the road-force balancing useless.

If you guys just bought your cars, you should not be charged for this work. This will likely make it to a TSB.

This makes sense now... As we drove down the highway, we felt the vibes come and go. If the tire was actually moving around the wheel, each time it makes a complete rotation, everything goes in and out of balance.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: ***UPDATE*** -- Solution from the service manager at our dealer...

Wow - very interesting. So there is such a thing as being "too slick." Seriously, what is the correctvie remedy? Do they dis-mount the tires, remove the lube from tire bead and wheel, then remount and re-balance? Now I am going to keep a keener eye on my situation, though it appears to have been even inititally less severe than yours and probably related to over-inflation by the preparing dealer. Thanks and good luck. I got mine in Westchester County, NY. When I bring my A4 in for the first oil change (or sooner if something bad happens) I'll talk to them about that issue - wonder if they know.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I'm taking our car in on Wednesday. I assume they're going to remove the old tire goop and...

...use the standard stuff in its place. I'll post again once the work is complete.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: I'm taking our car in on Wednesday. I assume they're going to remove the old tire goop and...

I'm interested how it goes for you Wednesday. I'm bringing mine in Thursday for another problem I've been posting here. I have Tiptronic and when stopped in gear, there is a lot of vibration through the steering wheel and in fact the whole vehicle. Also will ask about the higher speed vibration and the issue of how noisy, rough and tractor-like the engine is. Sounds like I am down on this car, but not really - I like it. If some of this is just the "tough as nails" "drivers car" thing, I can live with it. I am concerned that if I don't say something now, they might say at the end of the 2-year lease "you can't turn that thing back to us sounding and driving like that." So, I want Audi to tell me now and on the record that these things are normal. Happy motoring!

Quick Reply: New 06 A4 2.0T w/tip vibration