A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

question for AWE

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would it be possible for you to give me a call tomorrow?.....

A potential issue is that fuel pump bore and stroke have to be properly sized in the ecu for the ecu to be able to understand how to apply the fuel.

Essentially, the ecu uses a calculation based on hpfp size to determine how long to fire the solenoid on the pump to get the proper amount of fuel delivery to the rail.

If the hpfp is not of the same identical size as our hpfp, you can experience running issues while the ecu is trying to figure out why the expected amount of fuel is not being injected.

Most pump manufacturers have verified operation of their pump with the major tuners that make hpfp files. If you were sold this hpfp and noone told you it may or may not work with the ecu upgrade you've already purchased, they've done you a great disservice and were more concerned about taking your money than they were whether or not this mod is right for you.

If the hpfp maker didn't test it with our software, they have a responsibility to let the public know. If they did test it with our software and their results were satisfactory then I would like to explore the possibility that their may be another issue with your car not related to your hpfp and software match.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default this would be something that awe should..

respond to, to make things clear for future buyers. i will give you a call tomorrow so we can see whats going on.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:41 AM

Default Suddenly APR's response went from "it's the pump" to "it's the software but it is still the pump

manufacturer's fault".

We have dozens of people running the AWE pump in their A4 with APR HPFP software and no complaints like this user. Audizine has many testimonials.

This sounds like the software was the original culprit and now the test pipe may need additional software calibration, which is not necessarily the responsibility of the software tuner.

There are many combination of parts out there that can have unintended results and no tuner can test them all. Some responsibility must be borne by the end user. No need to be opportunistic, Kieth, and inappropriately throw a competitor under the bus.

APR would be better served at making responses in threads like this less political and more customer oriented.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default lol, so you think that since many AWE pumps are running on APR HPFP ecu upgrades....

with no issues that Pierre's problem is the testpipe?

So AWE has verified that their pump works well with our software?

That's all that was required as a response. I am sorry you are upset by my post. ewww, feelings.

The addition of a testpipe taxes the fueling system a little more than the oem cat and can create a fuel cut but I would think an upgraded fuel pump would cure that issue.

What other problem do you think the testpipe could be causing?

I've offered to Pierre to adjust the hpfp size parameter in the ecu to match the size of the AWE hpfp so we can guarantee if the pump is working as advertised the software is matched perfectly. I would imagine you don't want us to know the size of your pump but we are prepared to help our client in any way we can.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:43 AM

Default I think the testpipe could be causing an overboost condition which your software is reacting to.

Now that the fueling mismatch has been corrected, the throttle is staying open long enough to see that the actual boost is shooting past requested.

Sounds very plausible to me.

Our pump diameter is 9.5mm. No secret. Anybody who owns one can easily measure it.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't know, what happens when a car overboosts? I think we would get an overboost code, no?
Old 03-12-2009, 07:48 AM

Default Depends on how tight you set your deviation tolerances.

I don't know your software in such detail.

Then again, I'm just a quasi-engineer. )).
Old 03-12-2009, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default well yeah, and also how you calibrate the control and compensation..

strategies as a whole. However, our pressure delta's are similar to the oem strategy to ensure reporting of any potential running issues. I guess other tuners may increase this threshold but our philosophy is to keep all safety features intact so a hardware problem won't continue to progress unnoticed.

Some tuners have even turned overboost off completely, yikes!

Its ok, I'm just a glorified salesguy, remember?
Old 03-12-2009, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a testpipe specific APR file.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pierranchis, it was nice meeting you.

Pierranchis,

It was nice meeting you at Miami and I'm glad we could help you out. For those who are interested, Keith and I took a 12+ trip down to Miami to see the APR Motorsport race and VW owners corral at Miami Homestead. Pierranchis met up with us and Keith personally logged and checked his car. We found several fueling related codes, including one we commonly see for a failed solenoid on top of the fuel pump. He's also confirmed this is what his dealership has found. When this part fails, customers typically experience fuel cuts. Most will then replace or rebuild their fuel pump believing the fuel cut was normal for a working pump. If they send their pump to us, we'll test the pump and make sure it's working correctly before we ever rebuild it. If it's not, as it appears to be in pierranchis case, we'll reject the pump to save the customer a lot of money. The only way to tell if your pump is working correctly is to test it before and after rebuilding!

-Arin

Quick Reply: question for AWE