A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

S6 DRLs in a DTM bumper (revisited)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S6 DRLs in a DTM bumper (revisited)

Please, no IKEA lights in this post! : )

Actively working on this right now, and trying to find a way to make this work. I know that John S. has said that it can't work, and there are others on other sites that claim it can work, just trying to see what needs to be done to make it work.

There's an obvious problem that the whole assembly is too long to fit the opening of the DTM bumper, *however* the actual width of the LED's and their individual reflectors, that portion of the assembly is just right for the DTM opening. If you have a FMIC, I don't see there being a way to make it work, but our car doesn't, and won't, so I think there's hope.

I'm also entertaining some creativity here, like mounting the lights on the opposite sides and upside down, for example, so their curve still matches the curve of the bumper (skin).

Anyone have some more creative insight into this, or know of anyone who's done this? A lot of searching hasn't helped me much so far, appreciate any tips or links.

Cheers,

Rich
Old 04-20-2008, 12:03 PM

At the end of the day, you'll still have rigged-up retrofitted lights. Needz mor mirrorball.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

then i guess you havent seen the Custom work hes done to his TT, Which looks very good.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default thanks! I try. Much of the work on both cars motivated by wanting more light up front.

Live in a rural area, very dark at night, very curvy roads (lucky me!), lots o' deer and other hazards, so need a bit more light than stock can provide. At least on the A4 we have the very good bi-xenons.

Hopefully someone can come up with some words (or links) of wisdom for me on this one...

Thanks,

Rich
Old 04-20-2008, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey, I resemble that comment...

IKEA LEDs. Who would do something like that...

If you're able to fit the Audi LEDs I'd love to see it. At the end of the day it's the creativity each of us has that makes our cars unique and fun.

If you find there's a good way to get some sort of lights on the DTM bumper I hope you share.

One challenge is to not block the airflow to the intercoolers. Many of the lights I've looked at would block a lot of the airflow.

Good luck!

John
Old 04-20-2008, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks, John.

Will keep you in the loop.

Sensitive to the intercooler airflow as well, even though this is not our little racer, the TT is. Not too worried though, looking at how Audi blocks / channels airflow in the stock A4 and S-line grills. Even if the (horizontal) DRL blocks some of the flow, there will still be plenty of flow through there, with the total open area of the grill at least equivalent to those stock grills. We'll see how it goes...

Rich