A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

SUDDEN CLUTCH FAILURE 2006 AUDI A4

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BuddyDog
It sure seems funny to me that all these noobies who just joined the forum are all posting about mechanical problems with their cars.

They have had these cars for 2-3 years, never posted, then suddenly all have the same problem.

It boggles the mind.

Of course, everything you read on the internet MUST be true...
I'm a "noob" who just recently joined because... I just recently bought the car used and came hear to ask questions about problems that I have. Seems pretty ignorant to assume that everyone that just joined and are posting on the B7 platform discussion bought the car new. It boggles the mind.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It sure seems funny to me that all these noobies who just joined the forum are all posting about mechanical problems with their cars.

They have had these cars for 2-3 years, never posted, then suddenly all have the same problem.

It boggles the mind.

wow great job man, you sure called it. Seems like we all have just gotten these cars used fairly recently and have just encountered these problems. Even if we have had these cars for 2-3 years and were jut mow posting, what's so wrong with that? Seems like the point of this thread is to see if others have experienced similar problems and to share them, am I wrong? Why don't you keep your opinions to yourself untill you actually know the facts?

In my case, I bought this car barely 5 months ago certified, pre-owned. In researching this issue (with the clutch) I came across this forum and thread. Just seems super odd that it would pass a 300 point inspection and a few months later the clutch suddenly blows out under normal driving conditions. Excuse me for reaching out to fellow audi owners for some a little more info and possibly some similar scenarios. I didn't see where this was the 'BuddyDog' forums, must have overlooked that.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey noobies...Many of us that have owned Audis for years all moved from AudiWorld to quattroworld months ago. You may have better luck posting there.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Clutch Woes

I'm at 52k miles on my 07 A4 avant 2.0T and my clutch is slipping under load while in 5th and 6th gears. If there is one thing I learned about Audi clutches, they are sensitive. My previous 02 B6 1.8T manual trans had a clutch that lasted until 40-50k as well. It's not the most expensive part to replace in these cars. You can find decent stage 2 and 3 clutch kits online anywhere from $450-$1200. Just depends on your driving style. I replaced the oem clutch in my B6 with spec stage 2 and it did great.

As for noobie's, I could care less if the same question has been asked over a hundred times. Some of us have jobs that make it difficult to be on sites like this. People here are looking for information and advice on these forums. No need for rudeness by the experienced posters. Be nice or leave I say.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Paul3.2A4avant
Hey noobies...Many of us that have owned Audis for years all moved from AudiWorld to quattroworld months ago. You may have better luck posting there.
That's if you can afford to wait a couple of weeks for a reply!! Traffic is awful slow on that forum........
Old 03-01-2010, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Delmed83
I think AUDI has a problem with QUALITY CONTROL. I hear of so many intake cam shafts failing at low miles, and then i hear of people who have the original shaft with lots of miles(as mush as 100k); like myself. I have
45K on my 06 B7 and had the shaft checked the other day and it was perfect....so i was told. But i haven't had any problems with it. Could this be the same with the clutches?? My clutch is also original and seems to be fine; it engages perfectly. They should do a better job making sure that every part is within plus or minus 5% of perfect(100%).
My buddies at Consumer Reports, JD Power & Associates and True Delta have confirmed the following many times (making it 100% true): the only models model years where Audi has a problem with quality control are from 1985 to 1990 and from 1998 to 2004. Other than that, Audi's quality control is just fine. There are too many people on AudiWorld (especially from North America) who deny this or are simply clueless, judgmental, stubborn, any two out of three of these things or all three of these things. It drives me (and many other AudiWorld members in the know) stinking bonkers!

Last edited by Audi S5 TC; 03-01-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It boggles the mind.

Vehicle forums are less than 1% of all vehicle owners worldwide.

More than 99% of vehicle owners worldwide do not come anywhere near these forums.

Plus, a vast majority of people worldwide who own Audi models and model years from 1984 and prior, 1991 to 1997 and especially 2005+ do NOT have these problems.

These newbies on the Audi forums (85-95% of whom are currently residents of North America) who have these problems with their 1984 and prior, 1991 to 1997 and especially 2005+ Audis are an incredibly small minority (half of them are clueless, judgmental, stubborn, any two out of three of these things or all three of these things-it is incredibly pathetic).

Just check my reply message to this topic posted today (Monday, 03-01-2010) at 10:03PM (Standard Time) regarding the truth about Audi’s quality control (then check the automotive gods at Consumer Reports, JD Power and Associates and True Delta for the truth about Audi’s dependability, durability, quality, reliability, satisfaction and service).

Do NOT go by what the newbies and other disgruntled owners of 1984 and prior, 1991 to 1997 and especially 2005+ Audis (especially if they currently live in North America) who have problems. These people either have incompetent dealers, got lemons or both of the above.

Only go by what my buddies at CR, JD P&A and TD have to say about all Audi models and model years.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default unite and report this clutch malfunction before someone is hurt

Originally Posted by canonball
wow great job man, you sure called it. Seems like we all have just gotten these cars used fairly recently and have just encountered these problems. Even if we have had these cars for 2-3 years and were jut mow posting, what's so wrong with that? Seems like the point of this thread is to see if others have experienced similar problems and to share them, am I wrong? Why don't you keep your opinions to yourself untill you actually know the facts?

In my case, I bought this car barely 5 months ago certified, pre-owned. In researching this issue (with the clutch) I came across this forum and thread. Just seems super odd that it would pass a 300 point inspection and a few months later the clutch suddenly blows out under normal driving conditions. Excuse me for reaching out to fellow audi owners for some a little more info and possibly some similar scenarios. I didn't see where this was the 'BuddyDog' forums, must have overlooked that.
i too have purchased a, 07 a4 m6, and in my fourth month experienced sudden clutch failure. simply in the exactly the same conditions as you and many others within our mileage. Audi corp. and audi service need to take responsibility for the cars they are selling.

What was the outcome of your situation?

Be vocal and please reply with similar situations i will be presenting my case to audi. I believe there is a safety issue at hand and Audi most be held accountable.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default any update from the dealer on your clutch

Originally Posted by canonball
this just happened to my 2006 A4, I bought it last august and now with 49,xxx miles on it the clutch blew out. Ive been driving manaul transmission since I was fifteen (9 years) and have had no problems at all with this car until one night last week the clutch just gave out and the car wasn't driveable. I had it towed to local audi certified dealer and they say the clutch is completely blown, they have to replace it as well as the pressure plate and clean debris from the flywheel, they want $1,998 to do this. Since the clutch is a "wear and tear" item they wont cover it under the warranty, but there was no wear to begin with, something must have malfunctioned to cause something like this, but the dealer is claiming that I must have downshifted with too high of revs which is entirely not true. I don't drive the car hard or race it around or anything. I called audi customer care division and they said they would see if they can do something to help and I'm currently waiting on a phonecall from them to see what they found out. If they can't do anything then I'm going to order the parts and fix it myself with a couple of friends, the only bad thing about that is that I'm probably going to have to eat the $470 they charged to pull the tranny to see what was broken. I'll try to keep the story posted here in case it helps anyone.
Im in the same exact situation with my clutch. I was driving in normal conditions, i engaged the clutch pedal and it stay depressed. i was in neutral rev matching to fourth gear and then the failure. the clutch stayed depressed and i could not shift in to any gear. i am an experienced manual driver only having this car for 4 months 9,xxx miles all highway. i have never heard of a clutch going that quickly! the dealer wants me to eat the bill, i refuse!

what was the outcome of your situation?
do you have any advice with the dealer?
what was there final diagnosis?
we arent the only ones with this problem, we should report a TSB for a recall investigation....
Old 07-02-2010, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a '06 a4 sline and when i accelerate in 6th,from let say 2000rpm it can go up to 400 to 500rpm higher for about 2 seconds then come back down to where it's suppose to be,but my question is why only in 6th gear?
how come it doesn't do it in the other gears? and it doesn't slip all the time,that's odd.

Quick Reply: SUDDEN CLUTCH FAILURE 2006 AUDI A4