A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Trunk latch won't work.. The "hook" part in the trunk lid is open and wont close... Any ideas of...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk latch won't work.. The "hook" part in the trunk lid is open and wont close... Any ideas of...

what to do as a quick fix to get me through the weekend or is this a dealer issue? Trunk lid will stay down for for driving but anyone can just lift it up as it's in permanent unlatched position... Key fob has no control over it... Doors lock but trunk won't... Appreciate any feedback...
Old 12-06-2008, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Try getting it warm

Mine did last year a couple of times and I forgot to take it in. Anyway, yesterday it wouldn't latch for anything so I drove it to work like normal, and then tried it again when I got home (i.e. the car was thoroughly warm) and it worked fine.

So get it warm and maybe it will work.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I have intermittant similar trouble with my trunk latch.

In the last month, I've started having intermittant trouble getting my trunk to latch closed when the temperature has rapidly dropped from the low 70s during the day to low 40s early evening.

It seems to work normally in warmer temps but SOMETIMES when I try to close the trunk after work in the evening, the trunk lid just bounces off the latching mechanism and refuses to latch.

Once things warm up it functions normally and I've never NOT been able to get it latched after a few firm tries.

I've owned my car for 3 1/2 years and lived in all climate ranges from two winters in Ft Drum, NY to my current home in lower Alabama so the trunk has always, up until now, functioned normally in temperature extremes from -25F to +105F.

I'm chalking it up to having 56,000 miles and the latch mechanism starting to wear after a few thousand cycles. Or it could simply need to be lubed.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:39 AM

Default Covered under warranty

I had a similar problem corrected a few weeks back. The replacement of the "rear trunk latch" is covered under warranty. Part # 4F5 827 505 D. Until I could get the car in for repair, I had to slam the trunk lid down (i.e. with force) about a half dozen times to get it to latch. BTW, the trunk would unlatch when driving over decent bumps on the road as well.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the PN. If it continues, I'll replace it. Unfortunately, I'm out of warranty.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:56 AM

Default Thanks for the input... I live in SoCal so it never really gets cold here... It was outside last..

night when it started but was in the garage all night and still won't work this morning... Will park it in the sun today and see what happens... Car is still on warranty so it'll go in on Monday morning for repair... My 02 had the same problem and mysteriously corrected itself... Interesting to see others have had the same problem...
Old 12-06-2008, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Warranty Item. Just had mine replaced...The latch freezes up on 05.5 and 06...

Everytime i'd leave my car outside and it was under 40 degrees it's stop working right. Took the dealership 30 min to replace.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:52 AM

Default I held the trunk lid down and locked and unlocked the car rapidly and it finally caught... Now...

When I take it to the dealer on Monday they'll say they can't find a problem... Damned if you fix it yourself and damned if you don't...
Old 12-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Just got back from snowboarding and it happened to me...

I saw this post yesterday and I was glad to know it never happened to me yet... until today... It latched when I got out of my car, took my crap out of the trunk, closed it and locked the doors. I'll probably just get it checked out when I go buy me some all weather mats.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, that didn't help me, it won't latch at all

Gay.

Yay CPO.

Quick Reply: Trunk latch won't work.. The "hook" part in the trunk lid is open and wont close... Any ideas of...