A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Upgrading from Halogen to Bi-xenons

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading from Halogen to Bi-xenons

Has anyone tried this , I just bought Bi-xenos and the harness. Wanted to see if anyone has tried this and has any input. I dont have the color DIS or the tech package and from what I have been reading that was the major problem to ge these to work correctly. check out the post that i bought the headlights at. Paid 625 for it..<ul><li><a href="http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145683">http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145683</a</li></ul>
Old 07-20-2007, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Upgrading from Halogen to Bi-xenons

Any suggestions at all ? Do you guys think this is a risky install and worth while install ?
Old 07-20-2007, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you'd need to find out if headlight wiring is different for xenon and halogen cars.

There is coding in VAG which sets the headlight type so if the wiring is the same, its probably as simple as plug and play, with maybe having to change the plug itself. Another thing to note is that you have to make sure that level sensors are present in your car, otherwise this will get a lot more difficult.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to do this one but it seems like its a PITA
Old 07-20-2007, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't understand why you guys just won't install the aftermarket HID into stock housing.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:11 PM

Default Wow you have quite a project ahead of you!

So to my understanding there are quite a few sensors you will need to purchase if you want them to be "active" (auto leveling/swivel left and right). I know there is a sensor near the front suspension areas, to determine the level of headlights and I am sure there is some type of steering sensor to determine the amount of left right movement. I am going to assume you are going to be satisfied with a static headlight beam.

I am thinking with harness you should be ok, but you might want to make sure that harness was built correctly as it seems the previous owner had issues which could have been caused by a faulty harness. Without the correct harness you are going to have an interesting time with a wiring diagram in order to tap into the head light controls.

Good Luck to you, also in response to the lower post on using HID bulbs in a non HID housing, you will get a terrible beam pattern blinding everyone on the road and actually getting decreased lighting performance, especially in bad weather.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

IMO, factory installed HID FTW!!
Old 07-20-2007, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Halogens are reflectors which results in awful glare 99% of the time.

I hate seeing mods like that encouraged when some states are ALREADY considering banning HIDs even in legit factory setups. Improperly installed aftermarket kits will eventually result in problems for all of us, I almost guarantee it.

What he's doing looks like a seriously complex mod but I'm really glad he's trying to do it the right way.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default agreed...only xenon upgrade I ever did was factory xenon to Ecode S4 bixenons

but that's not exactly an issue with the B7 ;-)
Old 07-20-2007, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

i did it, search for threads by "booch" on audizine
Old 07-21-2007, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I honestly haven't seen any glare or issues with aftermarket hids installed in cars.

Maybe its different for Audi applications. So long as they are properly aimed I don't see what harm it would case. I mean the light would still be spread in the proper pattern.

Quick Reply: Upgrading from Halogen to Bi-xenons