A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

What kind of mileage are you really getting?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of mileage are you really getting?

06 A4 2.0t quattro S-Line. I'm running Pirelli P6 all-seasons (previous owner).

My commute is a mix of start/stop and highway cruising. I seem to average between 25 and 26 mpg. Seems like in the last month it has dropped to 24-25 mpg.

I've also noticed the pipes see a little extra sooty lately. Like I'm running to rich?

This could be b/c I'm running 87 octane. I was running 89 for the most part and only used 87 when I knew I'd be on the highway most of the time, but I cut back to 87 cause I'm cheap like that. It's almost impossible to get me to spring for a tank of 93.

Or it could be that my air filter is getting gunky (have to check this still but it's really cold out).

But now I'm curious what kind of mileage you see. Is mine a little low?
Old 12-09-2010, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Meant to add that it's an automatic.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I bought this car from a VW/Audi dealer last winter. They did the 35k service before I purchased it. Apparently that didn't include messing with the air filter...

I popped off the snorkel to get at the filter and see if it's ready for a change, and was I surprised to find 2 handfuls of debris and dust crammed onto the debris filter at the end of the snorkel. After washing that off, vacuuming out the filter box, and cleaning off the air filter, the car's a different machine altogether. Smoother idle, better low end throttle response (read: when not boosting), and I have to believe this will help the mileage at least a little.

But I'm still curious at to what everyone else is getting for mileage...
Old 12-11-2010, 11:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi,

I know you don't want to hear this, but higher octane should equal higher mileage. My 07 2.0T 6 speed averages about 25-26mpg per tankful between city and highway miles. Vehicles with mimimum octane ratings like Audi are designed to run, and are optimised at that octane level( flash point of gas). Useing lower octane- the car still runs- but does have to compensate for lower octane (and try to still provide the best power and efficiency). Proper octane- no problem. Lower octane- has to adjust (or retard) timing and adjust air etc. This effort (or work) requires energy ( or more fuel)
Besides only running 93 Shell V-power gas in all three of my Audi's- I run a bottle of fuel additive (I get the AUdi stuff from the dealer- couple bucks)
Old 12-15-2010, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have to say that I average about 10 to 15 mph over the speed limit on the highway with my '07 A4Q Avant 2.0T 6MT and I average about 25-27 mpg. I put a Thule roof box on it in the winter and it turns into more like 23-24 mpg. With summer tires, no thule roof box, and at 65 mph (probably like 2100 rpms in 6th gear) I can get it to 28-29 mpg consistently. I also run 93 octane.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

The winter really brings down your gas mileage, there is a good thread on audizine.com right now describing why the winter brings down your gas mileage. Between a different type of gas, and the fact that ur running ur heater alot more, it brings your gas mileage down a noticeable amount.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just bought a '07 2.0TQ with TipTronic. On my 72 mile commute (~60 miles interstate)I have been seeing about 28mpg on 93 octane. That is about 3 miles less per gallon than my 03 1.8TQ with Tip for the same trip (31mpg). The only difference other than car and engine is the '03 has a APR Stage 1 flash, but I did not see any noticeable MPG improvement after getting it installed.

I was expecting that the '07 2.0 would do better MPGs given direct injection. But I haven't yet had the car into the dealer for a check so perhaps there is another explanation (air cleaner, bad injector, etc.) I also have more soot at the tailpipe than I would expect for < 50K miles.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I've been getting consistent 26 mpg in the winter. 27mpg for summer. I've noticed that Bosch spark plugs aren't as efficient as the denso I was running before... had like 1 mpg gain for like 20k miles after denso install.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:20 AM
Former Vendor

I get about 21-24 mpg. That's with 19" wheels and an AFE panel filter =(
AND, I drive like a grandma.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by blisteringft
I bought this car from a VW/Audi dealer last winter. They did the 35k service before I purchased it. Apparently that didn't include messing with the air filter...

I popped off the snorkel to get at the filter and see if it's ready for a change, and was I surprised to find 2 handfuls of debris and dust crammed onto the debris filter at the end of the snorkel. After washing that off, vacuuming out the filter box, and cleaning off the air filter, the car's a different machine altogether. Smoother idle, better low end throttle response (read: when not boosting), and I have to believe this will help the mileage at least a little.

But I'm still curious at to what everyone else is getting for mileage...
Just wanted to add that I also went to change the air filter and took off the snorkel - it was totally stuffed with leaves and debris. The filter element was clean after 25k miles but we better watch the clogged snorkel (not sure why it was so clogged compared to other vehicles ??)

Quick Reply: What kind of mileage are you really getting?