A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

What's the deal with the iPod integration?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 04:57 AM
MPR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the deal with the iPod integration?

The article on AudiWorld says that cars without nav and sat radio will be able to use the iPod integration. What the heck? Can someone confirm/deny this?
Old 09-23-2005, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: What's the deal with the iPod integration?

That sounds about right, especially with the mention that it will be compatible with previous generations. The head units have a fixed number of interfaces (tape, CD, SAT) so one of those needs to be used for the iPod. Normally, the only external interface that exists is the SAT interface. Basically, instead of plugging the harness into the satellite receiver, it's being plugged into an iPod. I'm not sure, but I think you can't have the external 6 disc changer and SAT at the same time? I'd have to look into that, though.... I know there's been a lot of similar discussion on a Nissan Murano board I'm a member of and that's been the general consensus, can't have both. Sucks if you want both, but it would require a major redesign of the head unit to accomodate both a SAT interface and an iPod.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:30 AM
MPR

Default Re: What's the deal with the iPod integration?

OK...one or the other is fine. While my car is SAT ready we don't have any "official" services here in Canada just yet...so, iPod it is for me...much better anayway...
Old 09-23-2005, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts
Default They are all the same

Any A3/A4 head unit has only one audio in (if any), that's the one for the CD changer. Audi did update the software in their 2004 head units to support a SAT receiver but this is still using the CDC audio in. In order to install a CDC, the SAT receiver has an audio in for the CDC. Which results in being able to control 2 audio devices, the first being the SAT receiver (audio in to the head unit and controlled via CAN), the second being the CDC (Audio in to the SAT receiver and controlled via CDC Data/Clock/enable on the head unit).

Any interface/adapter for an iPod is using the CDC audio in. This is easy if you don't have SAT or CDC, simply plug it in to the CDC port on the head unit. But if you have SAT (installed or prewired) then the audio in is already used and you would need to route three wires (audio left/right/ground) from the head unit to the SAT receiver.

This is the reason why they all say it's not compatible with SAT or CDC installed, the first because the audio wires to the back are missing, the latter because the port is already used. And the same is true for Phatbox, Icelink, Blitz, even if you want an external OEM CD changer and already have SAT.

It is still possible in many situations, just not plug and play.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Just go get the Icelink

You can get it from Best Buy (and Futureshop I think) now instead of ordering it from them in the US. Yes it's pricey but I doubt the one from Audi will be any cheaper but it has all of the same features from what I read and limitation.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:51 AM

Default Re: They are all the same

wouldn't it be nice if they can make the ipod controller come with a pass through to the CDC, and somehow communicate with the head unit like how the SAT receiver would, that way we can get CDC + ipod (for the extra flexibilty). Or, as an cheaper alternative, have a switch button on the ipod bracket to select between the two audio sources(and this way we can have Head unit to ipod adapter to sat receiver to CDC) =D

well... just wishful thinking, i suppose
Old 09-26-2005, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Somebody on the TT forum made a switchbox that would allow him to use the CDC and iPod