A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

'09's Any Major Reason to Stay Away

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default '09's Any Major Reason to Stay Away

Looking at 09 A4's. Any really big reasons to stay away? I've seen some mention of suspension problems. Will only look at CPO's.

Thank you.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on the options you want. The MY09 with NAV had MMI 2G, while later years have MMI 3G. Also, the rear light are halogen, while newer years have LED lights. There was no real issue with the suspension. The early A4s had solid rubber bushing control arms that made the steering wheel shimmy. They later introduced hydro bushing lower front rear arms to resolve the steering shimmy. If you want a 3.2 V6 A4, MY09 was the only year to have it AFAIK. As for automatic transmissions, they have 6 speeds, while MY11 and newer have 8 speeds automatics with the 2.0TFSI.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ezveedub
Depends on the options you want. The MY09 with NAV had MMI 2G, while later years have MMI 3G. Also, the rear light are halogen, while newer years have LED lights. There was no real issue with the suspension. The early A4s had solid rubber bushing control arms that made the steering wheel shimmy. They later introduced hydro bushing lower front rear arms to resolve the steering shimmy. If you want a 3.2 V6 A4, MY09 was the only year to have it AFAIK. As for automatic transmissions, they have 6 speeds, while MY11 and newer have 8 speeds automatics with the 2.0TFSI.
If you're looking for smooth, linear power, the 3.2 V6 is a terrific engine and as stated above, 2009 was the only year offered on the A4 B8. Aside from the control arm fix and a few minor corrected bugs early on, after 45K miles, I've had zero problems. I absolutely love mine. Find a Prestige model if you can.
(If you can wait until Aug, PM me and don't mind a drive from MA. I'll have mine up for sale. I'm getting a 2013 A6 as I need a bigger Audi).
Old 04-09-2012, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
If you're looking for smooth, linear power, the 3.2 V6 is a terrific engine and as stated above, 2009 was the only year offered on the A4 B8. Aside from the control arm fix and a few minor corrected bugs early on, after 45K miles, I've had zero problems. I absolutely love mine. Find a Prestige model if you can.
(If you can wait until Aug, PM me and don't mind a drive from MA. I'll have mine up for sale. I'm getting a 2013 A6 as I need a bigger Audi).
So what's your price going to be? I've bought out of state before.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by hey32g
So what's your price going to be? I've bought out of state before.
I've left you a Private Message including my email address...contact me if you want to discuss further.
Thanks!

p.s. Where in Texas do you live? My boss lives in Colleyville near DFW.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The rear lamps are incandescent on the 09. Halogen gas is only in the headlights and front fog lights.

The major recurring flaws were defective materials in the power steering hose that caused a slow speed judder when turning the wheels. A new hose fixed it. Wind buffeting when the sun roof was open and the car had a solid wind deflector. Changing to a notched deflector cured the problem. This caused the radio to sound louder and softer. To hear the effect, open the sun roof, drive 45 mph and push down on the deflector.

Excessive oil consumption is a big problem. Even changing pistons and rings, whole engines, and improving the cam lubrication on a limited number of cars has not always helped. Audi considers 1 QT in 1200 miles normal. Many owners report five times or more miles on a quart.

There are so many things that are right on the car that the above should not put anyone off. By all means get the quattro version. The front wheel drive has poisonous torque steer.

I invite you to try the test factory drivers had me try. Position yourself with your feet flat on the floor behind the pedals. Then move the seat forward so that your knees are slightly bent. Put on your seatbelt and find a parking lot or deserted road where you can accelerate to 50 mph. Stomp on the brake with both feet as hard as you can. You will be blown away at how mannerly the car stops. I was so delighted I left a tip in the tray to the right of the shift lever.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my '09 for 5 weeks and I love it. If you buy a certified car, as I did, you will have plenty of warranty coverage in the event you have any problems. My car is a Premium Plus, so it has a few extra toys and the LED headlights, which is the rage. The 2.0 is very quiet and smooth and I am averaging 28.5 mpg with a mix of city and highway driving. It is, without a doubt, a beautiful automobile.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by shs92645
I've had my '09 for 5 weeks and I love it. If you buy a certified car, as I did, you will have plenty of warranty coverage in the event you have any problems. My car is a Premium Plus, so it has a few extra toys and the LED headlights, which is the rage. The 2.0 is very quiet and smooth and I am averaging 28.5 mpg with a mix of city and highway driving. It is, without a doubt, a beautiful automobile.
I think you meant LED driving lights (DRL), not headlights. Headlights would be halogen or HID. LED headlights were just introduced as an option on the 2012 A6 with probably more models in 2013.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Moviela
The rear lamps are incandescent on the 09. Halogen gas is only in the headlights and front fog lights.

The major recurring flaws were defective materials in the power steering hose that caused a slow speed judder when turning the wheels. A new hose fixed it. Wind buffeting when the sun roof was open and the car had a solid wind deflector. Changing to a notched deflector cured the problem. This caused the radio to sound louder and softer. To hear the effect, open the sun roof, drive 45 mph and push down on the deflector.

Excessive oil consumption is a big problem. Even changing pistons and rings, whole engines, and improving the cam lubrication on a limited number of cars has not always helped. Audi considers 1 QT in 1200 miles normal. Many owners report five times or more miles on a quart.

There are so many things that are right on the car that the above should not put anyone off. By all means get the quattro version. The front wheel drive has poisonous torque steer.
I've had the control arms, roof deflector and power steering hose all replaced. I would point out that any oil issues that may exist are related to the 2.0 engine. My 3.2 V6 has had zero issues whatsoever, including no oil consumption problems. Also, the power steering hose you mentioned was not really defective per se, just improperly designed. The replacement has reinforced, braided dual lines with increased diameter to eliminate the pulsing, "judder" issue.

Last edited by snagitseven; 04-10-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I would point out that any oil issues that may exist are related to the 2.0 engine. My 3.2 V6 has had zero issues whatsoever, including no oil consumption problems. Also, the power steering hose you mentioned was not really defective per se, just improperly designed.
I am using Amsoil European 5W40 oil in our 2.0T's. From the start we were getting oil consumption in both of our Audi's. It seems like ever since I switched oil brands to one that also meets Audi's specs, the problem has gone away. Mobil 1 oils tends to evaporate from the heat for some reason. I had the same oil consumption issues in other cars until switching to Amsoil. Our Audi's our newer. I order the oil and I bring it with me to the dealer and they put it in. Audi uses their oil filter. So far thumbs up! The dealers only like to carry oils that have a high profit margin since they often do not make much money on an oil change. Amsoil is expensive to produce and most places want it cheaper. Dealers don't care if you have oil consumption. That's another excuse for you to go back to them and buy more oil from them. And not that they have you there, you are probably inclined to walk in the showroom and see what other cars they can entice you to trade your car in for. I'm sure Audi, Mobil 1 and Castrol are all in bed together laughing all the way to the bank.

I'm just have to prepare for the transmission fluid change. I was told that's gonna cost me almost $600 or so. YIKES!!!

Quick Reply: '09's Any Major Reason to Stay Away