A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2010 B8 A4 Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience kceesarS5. This sounds like a nightmare coming!

Just curious...how was your problem reported to Audi? I am not very good in describing the "problem" so want to make sure I convey this properly so they check the right places. Also, what other symptoms/abnormalities did you experience (other than unusual travel) when you had the problem? Any unusual feel with clutch, shifting, gearbox etc?

And would it be possible to share a copy of the receipt you got back from Audi after your service. I am interested in knowing how the problem and resolution were documented.

Appreciate your help in this.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Raymond....don't mean to scare you with all the issues I had with my S5. Hopefully, you will not have to go through the same experience. Here is a link to what happened. http://www.a5oc.com/forums/showthrea...ex.html?t=8608

My user name is kceesar under this post. Make sure to read both pages see to all my posts. I'm still upset about what happened, but life goes on.

Good luck and keep us informed.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Went to the dealer this morning. Funny thing is since a couple of days ago, the "symptom" is much improved. The "hydraulic" movement when releasing the clutch is not really that noticable anymore. Now I am not sure whether I should be happy or more concerned.

In any case, I brought the car in just to be safe. Both the service advisor and the shop foreman test drove the car and confirm all is normal with the clutch operation and gear shifting.

They asked me to continue to monitor and to bring the car back should the symptom return. One comment, though not likely, is whether this can be linked to the recent, spring-like temperature in Ontario.

So for now, my fingers are crossed and hopefully the symptom will not re-appear. If it does, at least I have a record on file that the problem had been reported yet un-producible at the time.
Old 03-12-2010, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

This is completely a guess, but maybe the mechanism is still breaking in and once that's done, it will operate more smoothly?
Old 03-13-2010, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

That's what I am trying to tell myself also

But from trying out another new model in the showroom, it is hard to convince myself that is the reason...
Old 03-14-2010, 02:35 PM
equ
AudiWorld Member

Don't worry too much... You have a solid amount of warranty remaining and, from the sound of it, a sympathetic dealer. If something is wrong, you will know it.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Need a favor from all B8 6MT drivers... just found out today by accident... when IN NEUTRAL and the clutch is released about half way, the idle speed increases (rpm needle jumps about 100-200 rpm). When the clutch is fully depressed or released, idle speed is steady/normal. It is only when it is half-way released that it exhibits this behaviour.

Does your's behave the same way? If so, do you know why it behaves that way? I have driven manual transmission cars all my life (including a 98 A4) but have never encountered this.

Thanks in advanced as usual.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Perhaps it is to give you some extra gas at the engagement point? Just a guess.

Last edited by av_audi; 03-19-2010 at 10:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-19-2010, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, mine behaves the same way. It is actually quite smart thinking of Audi. You can keep your right foot on the brake, and by slowly releasing the clutch, the car gets enough torque to start moving without having to move your foot from the brake to the accelerator.

On a side note, I did read on a Scandinavian Audi Forum that Audi is investigating an issue with the clutch, something about how it "feels". They don't have a fix yet, but expect a TSB to be out in a near future. The clutch on my A4 2010 2.0 TFSI quattro 6 spd doesn't feel perfect either, so I'm looking out for that TSB. What I feel is very very minor though, something I easily could live with.
Old 03-21-2010, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks hankoman. Good to hear it seems to be working as designed. Like you, I do find something about the clutch not "feeling" right but can't really explain it. So I will be interested in hearing more about the TSB you referred to.

Anyone else tested the clutch behaviour on their B8 6MT or know anything about this TSB?

Quick Reply: 2010 B8 A4 Clutch Question