A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2011 Audi B8 cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Audi B8 cranks but won't start

Hi all! I have 2011 B8. A few days ago I filled up my tank and as I was leaving the gas station the car started shaking alot and felt like it wanted to stall. I pulled into a spot, turned off the car, and tried to restart. It only cranked but did not start. It gave P0016 and misfire codes on all 4 banks. Got it towed to a local mechanic and they confirmed that the timing chain has jumped. Got it towed home. I changed the timing chain and put in a new version tensioner. Tried to start it up and still just cranking and no start. Any help would be great!
Old 08-19-2019, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Reason650
Hi all! I have 2011 B8. A few days ago I filled up my tank and as I was leaving the gas station the car started shaking alot and felt like it wanted to stall. I pulled into a spot, turned off the car, and tried to restart. It only cranked but did not start. It gave P0016 and misfire codes on all 4 banks. Got it towed to a local mechanic and they confirmed that the timing chain has jumped. Got it towed home. I changed the timing chain and put in a new version tensioner. Tried to start it up and still just cranking and no start. Any help would be great!
Do a compression check to see if you did have a chain problem. If 0 compression you bent the valves . Any codes?
Old 08-19-2019, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Do a compression check to see if you did have a chain problem. If 0 compression you bent the valves . Any codes?
Thanks jagtoes for the quick response. When the car was at the mechanic they claimed they did a compression test and a free leak down test and both were satisfactory. I forgot to mention that I no longer hear the fuel pump priming when I open the door or put in the key. This noise was very distinctive before and I dont hear it anymore since the original stall. Could this be the issue? How can I test the pump?
Old 08-19-2019, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I didn't check the codes last night it was getting late. I will check it this morning. I have an obd11 scanner. I will keep you posted.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I didn't check the codes last night it was getting late. I will check it this morning. I have an obd11 scanner. I will keep you posted.
The only code that is present is p0016. I just replaced both cam and crankshaft sensors about 2 months ago. Would they have failed so soon?
Old 08-22-2019, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The only code that is present is p0016. I just replaced both cam and crankshaft sensors about 2 months ago. Would they have failed so soon?
I replaced the the camshaft and crankshaft sensors and put in new spark plugs. The car still will not start. It cranks but will not start. I have spark, air, compression, and fuel. What could be wrong? Please help!!
Old 08-22-2019, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,909 Likes on 1,621 Posts

P0016 is not a sensor failed so much as the correlation of the crank and cam. If you've done the chain job and still have a P0016, then I would imagine you're not done with the chain job. The car is not satisfied with the results.
If you don't hear the pump priming, check the fuses. Additionally, www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll0GTBzv0dI
Old 08-23-2019, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
P0016 is not a sensor failed so much as the correlation of the crank and cam. If you've done the chain job and still have a P0016, then I would imagine you're not done with the chain job. The car is not satisfied with the results.
If you don't hear the pump priming, check the fuses. Additionally, www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll0GTBzv0dI
Thanks for the response. I am no longer getting any codes. The p0016 code went away right after I changed the two sensors. I watched the video. I know the car recognizes the door. Interior lights come on and it shows the door open on the display by the gauges. The fuel pump used to have a very distinct winding noise when I opened the door. But I haven't heard that noise in awhile. I changed the spark plugs yesterday and the old ones were wet with gas. So I know fuel is getting to the engine. Another thing that is happening, is when I push in the key to power the car but not start it there is a loud click. Then I push the key and the brake to start and it just cranks but no start. Could it be the fuse near the positive battery terminal in the trunk? I heard they can be a culprit also. Sorry for the long post just trying to give as much info as possible. Any other suggestions out there?
Old 08-23-2019, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,909 Likes on 1,621 Posts

If there's no codes and you have the four ingredients, I am not sure.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do your own compression check. I am skeptical of their claim to have checked compression with a jumped chain. Also, did you see that the chain had jumped? How many teeth was it off?

Quick Reply: 2011 Audi B8 cranks but won't start