A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2013 A4 engine problems

Old 06-12-2019, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 A4 engine problems

Here is a little background first... A couple weeks ago my car started making a weird noise when I would let off the gas and threw a P0341 code and then started running pretty badly so I towed it home instead of risking driving the rest of the way. Once I got home I pulled the timing inspection plug and saw the tensioner was almost fully extended so I decided to replace the timing chain and tensioner and everything before it stretched any farther and skipped time. While doing that I verified that the engine was still in time and hadn't jumped teeth at all so I replaced all the parts and finished putting it back together yesterday. I also replaced the cam sensor since it was cheap and I figured it couldn't hurt.

Yesterday the car fired up instantly and was idling smoothly however there was still the strange noise from before when I would rev it to around 2000-2500rpm and let off the gas. Then I tried to take it around the block and even though it was running great it instantly turned on the check engine light again with both the P0341 code and P0016 this time. Based on some searches online I decided to pull the upper timing cover to confirm that the engine was still in time and after some rotations everything lined up correctly so I don't think it jumped any teeth or anything. However now I'm at a loss as to what the problem is or how to fix it so I'm hoping someone might have some suggestions. I've also included a couple videos of the car idling along with one showing the noise when you let off the gas below.

Idle
Idle
Noise
Old 06-12-2019, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I've also now confirmed the measurements on this link from center to intake cam mark and between the 2 marks and all the numbers are in spec if that helps anyone.

https://forums.ross-tech.com/showthr...relation-check

Old 06-12-2019, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,576 Posts

This guy was having a P0341 problem and replaced his cam bridge to fix it.
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...es-not-go-away
Saw a VW thread with similar conclusion. An issue with the screen lost.

It appears the cam sensor ring sits half way down the intake cam, so it must be reading the post adjustment positioning. I imagine if there's a problem with the N205 or the oil supply to it, the intake cam adjusted position might not be exactly as the ECM is expecting.

As for the funky noise in your third vid, yeah, no idea. The idles sound like mine, but not that let off noise. Though I have so much other rattle and junk from the turbo, who knows.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SMac770
This guy was having a P0341 problem and replaced his cam bridge to fix it.
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...es-not-go-away
Saw a VW thread with similar conclusion. An issue with the screen lost.

It appears the cam sensor ring sits half way down the intake cam, so it must be reading the post adjustment positioning. I imagine if there's a problem with the N205 or the oil supply to it, the intake cam adjusted position might not be exactly as the ECM is expecting.

As for the funky noise in your third vid, yeah, no idea. The idles sound like mine, but not that let off noise. Though I have so much other rattle and junk from the turbo, who knows.

Interesting I wonder if the cam bridge would make a difference for me. When I had the timing all apart the cam bridge looked good and the screen was intact but due to all the posts I had read about the screen issues I removed the screen before reinstalling it. So last night after confirming the timing and those measurements I reassembled the top cover and made sure to torque the adjuster valve in the middle of the intake cam correctly. Now the noise seems to be gone or at least mostly gone however after driving the car a couple miles the P0016 code popped back up. Even with the code on though the car seems to be running and driving perfectly with no issues so I'm pretty lost at what is causing the code. Maybe I'll try replacing the N205 or the cam adjuster magnet but I hate to keep throwing parts at it if they don't make a difference.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, that's where a lack of understanding why the ECM is setting P0016 and/or P0341 becomes a problem in the troubleshooting process.
One of the things I was curious is if a P0341 should be able to reflect a timing issue (ie, the pulses from the sensor are fine, but not when expected), or if a P0341 is simply about the frequency rate of the pulses or the quality of the pulses. And timing of the pulses would be a P0016.
If the former, it complicates things. Are you using VCDS? The DTC didn't have any additional detail?
Then you have the issue of "is it happening frequently, it at least once a second", or is it "it's on the fringe and happened once so we set the MIL".
Old 06-14-2019, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yeah, that's where a lack of understanding why the ECM is setting P0016 and/or P0341 becomes a problem in the troubleshooting process.
One of the things I was curious is if a P0341 should be able to reflect a timing issue (ie, the pulses from the sensor are fine, but not when expected), or if a P0341 is simply about the frequency rate of the pulses or the quality of the pulses. And timing of the pulses would be a P0016.
If the former, it complicates things. Are you using VCDS? The DTC didn't have any additional detail?
Then you have the issue of "is it happening frequently, it at least once a second", or is it "it's on the fringe and happened once so we set the MIL".
Right the lack of understanding for why those codes are being set definitely makes it hard. I'm not using VCDS since unfortunately I don't have one and don't know anyone with one so all I've been using is a Matco scanner to scan the codes. I was trying to find electrical testing procedures online for the different sensors and valves in question to see if I could find one that was out of spec however I haven't had much luck finding the info yet. I've read somewhere before that the OBDEleven app performs a lot of the same functions as VCDS so maybe I'll break down and buy that to see if it provides any additional helpful information. I'll need it sooner or later anyways when I go to replace the rear pads on the car.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Ok so today I replaced the cam adjuster magnet and the piece in the middle seemed to move alot easier than on the old part so I was hopeful it would fix the problem. However after driving a few miles I got a CEL again with P0016 and P0341 and the noise was back some of the time so I dont think it ever really had gone away. Also until driving it today I forgot that the EPC light flashes on some of the time for less than a second each time. I think it flashes on as you let off the gas to shift gears but I'll have to drive it more to confirm that's exactly when it flashes.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That sucks. A flashing MIL is misfire, but I don't know what a flashing EPC means. At least my persistent gave up on fixing it issue is a P0299. Timing involved codes would make me more nervous.
I had seen one doc where the guy's problem was an actually cracked rail guide. So it was flexing either on load or release, I forget. You've had the lower cover off and checked the rails for integrity when you did the tensioner?
Old 06-15-2019, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That sucks. A flashing MIL is misfire, but I don't know what a flashing EPC means. At least my persistent gave up on fixing it issue is a P0299. Timing involved codes would make me more nervous.
I had seen one doc where the guy's problem was an actually cracked rail guide. So it was flexing either on load or release, I forget. You've had the lower cover off and checked the rails for integrity when you did the tensioner?
Yep I actually replaced all the rails and guides along with both tensioners and chains.