A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

2015 A4 v.s 2015 A3

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 A4 v.s 2015 A3

Hi everyone been lurking on here for a while and looking to join the Audi family.

I'm currently looking for a new daily driver and the A4 Premium Plus in a six speed manual is on My short list. Anyone on here regret buying a '15 A4 with the new generation around the corner?

Also, when factoring in the new A3 the decision becomes a bit more difficult as the newer technology is appealing and the slightly lower price point. But, I'm not completely sold on the design and not sure if the car would keep me engaged enough without the ability to row through the gears myself...

I apologize if this topic has been discussed before, but my seach resulted in an outdated thread that went nowhere.

Last edited by E92MPower; 01-14-2015 at 02:14 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I recently bought a 2013 A4 Quattro Premium Plus 6-Speed over a 2015 A3 2.0T Quattro.

My thoughts after having an A3 2.0T Prestige as a loaner:

(1) S-tronic dual clutch transmission in the A3 is excellent. Huge improvement over a conventional automatic. It's hard to really do a comparison to the manual 6-speed, since they're two different driving experiences. But it's gratifying to note that even the S-tronic transmission is less-than stellar on steep San Francisco hills. It's better than I am with the 6-speed, but both are bested by a regular torque converter automatic.

(2) Same engine as the A4 + lighter car = A3 faster. Despite the similar drivetrain specs, there's a lot that's different. The engine, for example, is mounted transversely. My understanding is that the chassis is completely different than the A4s, which makes sense given its size. And on that...

(3) It looks squished, and there's too much of a gap between the tires and fenders.

(4) The suspension isn't up to par, at least compared to an A4 with the sport package. Acceleration and braking result in taildives and nosedives. The headlights auto-level, but it'd be better if the car itself were just more stable.

(5) My A3 loaner was equipped with LED (not Xenon) headlights. At least compared to the A4, they are less bright and less evenly distributed. They're also distractingly blue (vs xenon's white-blue), which (combined with the fact that LEDs don't have a projector lens in the lamp fixture) make them seem like aftermarket xenon-lookalike lights. They do have neat cornering/foglamps built in, though: they are in the main light fixtures, so when you turn them on, it's almost unnoticeable from outside the car. (I.e., there's no second pair of lights near the road that light up). Kinda hard to describe - you need to see it in person.

(6) The LCD display, which pops out of the dash, is odd and seems less-thoughtfully placed than in the A4. I drove with it down whenever possible because it felt like it was obstructing my view (even though it wasn't).

(7) The cupholders are placed forward of the shifter, which is an improvement over the A4, since its cupholders can get in the way of shifting with large cups.

(8) Seatbelt tensioners. During emergency stops, the seatbelt in the A3 tightens itself, removing all slack before catching your body. This is great. The A4 has had seatbelt pretensioners for years (my '03 had them), but they only go off during accidents and are one-time use, so they need to be replaced after they're triggered. The A3s are reusable.

(9) The brakelights on the A3 are LED, but (I've noticed on other A3s and confirmed on the loaner) they light up sequentially: the top part of the LED lights up a few milliseconds before the bottom. Unsure if this is intentional, but it's distracting for me whenever I'm behind one.

(10) The red car alarm warning LED, which flashes every second when the alarm is armed, is normally on the window sill of the driver's door in line with the driver's shoulder (on all other Audi models). For some reason, on the A3, they moved it to the front of the window sill, just aft of the mirror. The Prestige model auto-folds the mirrors when you lock the door, blocking the warning light from view entirely. Whoops. I think that blinking light is akin to yard signs for home burglar alarms, so this strikes me as an obvious oversight. I think the LED is more useful than the alarm itself, so this would bother me disproportionately.

(11) Most of the A4's interior lights are incandescent bulbs. The A3 has LEDs. Pro: they last longer and are brighter. Con: it gives the interior a blue hue. I prefer the A4's coloring.

(12) There are a few cut-corners in the A3. For example, in the trunk on the underside of the rear hat shelf, there's only one grocery bag hook vs the A4's two. The center cluster info display between the gauges has a lower resolution than the A4's. There's no circular dial to control the sunroof. Just an open/close switch. And only the driver's mirror auto-dims (rather than both driver and passenger).

(13)
The smart key that comes with the A4 Premium Plus looks like this: http://goo.gl/SWJdXg
The (newer) A3, however, comes with the same switchblade key that was offered on the '05 A4, even though the A3 has keyless ignition: http://goo.gl/M09CYv. But the thing is, there's almost no purpose for the metal part of the switchblade key. There's no mechanical slot that accepts it inside the car except for the glovebox...but it wouldn't do much in a valet situation, since you'd have to hand the valet the full switchblade key.

Very pleased that I opted for the A4.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

You may learn the A4 might not be available in 6mt? If the A3 isn't, can we assume the A4 will???

The A4 vs A3 are different animals and at different price points.

I think you'll find the A4 at the end of its run to be a great long term build.

Getting a car that will have a new model out very soon is like getting married. If your gonna get pissed off that you could have had a younger and prettier wife, then wait for the 16's.
Just because there is a new model out does not degrade the ride or look of your car in your eyes. You get what you signed for. You will likely get a nice price at the same time.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Det. Mickylaren
I recently bought a 2013 A4 Quattro Premium Plus 6-Speed over a 2015 A3 2.0T Quattro.

[snip]

(13)
The smart key that comes with the A4 Premium Plus looks like this: http://goo.gl/SWJdXg
The (newer) A3, however, comes with the same switchblade key that was offered on the '05 A4, even though the A3 has keyless ignition: http://goo.gl/M09CYv. But the thing is, there's almost no purpose for the metal part of the switchblade key. There's no mechanical slot that accepts it inside the car except for the glovebox...but it wouldn't do much in a valet situation, since you'd have to hand the valet the full switchblade key.

Very well-written and informative comparison. Thanks for posting.

Regarding the key - I lock and unlock the glovebox often, and would much prefer a switchblade key for that reason.

As nice as the A3 is, I think it is, nonetheless, more 'entry-level' than the A4. Having said that, the A3 fairs better in the frontal offset IIHS crash. I imagine Audi will improve that with the new generation.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't driven an A3, but sitting in one at the dealer it definitely felt most plasticy in the interior. The A4 has a great interior cabin even if it's getting long in the tooth. But I do like the updated styling on the MMI controls and the HVAC.

There's quite a lot of back and forth arguing about Haldex vs Torsen if you're going quattro (you're going quattro, right?) But it pretty much boils down to Haldex is fine most of the time, but Torsen is a little more robust for spirited driving or crazy snow.

The new A4 might not get here till late this year or next year. No one knows for sure. and typically it would be out in Europe for an entire year before making it stateside. While the A4 B8 is getting pretty old, it's been refined and most of the problems have been worked out. But look at the new A6 and how the A3 took it's styling cues, including the interior. I imagine the new A4 will fall along those general lines.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

A4 might have a bit of a price boost.

Always reasons to wait, always reasone to not.

Wait too long then its "Wait for the rumored refresh"? Or New engine? Or new MMI redue, or new wheels, or new transmission..........

Always a reason. Especially when you exist on the forums!!!
Old 01-13-2015, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

All good info guys!

Thank you to all for the feedback and insight. Mickylaren's feedback was insightful and supported the snapshot I had of an A3. But, Nalod said it best with the prettier wife analogy. LOL

Although I love technology and innovation, I'm a sucker for refinement and a proven platform that has all the kinks worked out. The B8 is still a very sharp looking car especially the refreshed B8.5 models.

Wish me luck fellas that I can close a deal and officially join the community.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Sealed the deal guys! Placed an order for a 2015 A4 P+, Glacier White, 6-spd with Sport and Sport Plus Packages, Technology Package, B&O, wheel locks and the Audi Guard kit.

Now the ~3 month wait begins.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice. Good job on the P+ and B&O. Not to already be planning your first mod, but a LOT of us have swapped the subwoofer in the B&O system. The built in leaves a bit to be desired, but an $60 Pioneer swap will make that system come alive.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-...2822346/page2/
Old 01-16-2015, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by E92MPower
Sealed the deal guys! Placed an order for a 2015 A4 P+, Glacier White, 6-spd with Sport and Sport Plus Packages, Technology Package, B&O, wheel locks and the Audi Guard kit.

Now the ~3 month wait begins.
Nice! What colour interior? My glacier white AR has a titanium grey sport interior, which I really like.

2014 Allroad P+, Glacier White/Titanium, Full paint, Sport package, Nav, Keyless, B&O, Rear Camera, Side Assist.

Quick Reply: 2015 A4 v.s 2015 A3