A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

6 days old 63 miles and the paint is peeling bad

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 days old 63 miles and the paint is peeling bad

Today I washed my car. I have only driven it 3 times and not in the rain. Today the paint peeled off the from bumper around both fog lights BAD really really bad...like a banana peel. It was flying off with my water hose like tissue paper. Never seen anything like this and I have many luxury German cars.

I also had about 5 bubbles in the paint that was rubbed out and along the from hood there is some dried drips that have to be sanded off.

I told the dealer I do not want to repaint it or let their body shop do it. Another story there. I told the I want a new bumper from Audi with a factory paint on it or I will call Audi to replace the car. I know this may sound petty, but the fun is just gone now.

Really I am so sick over this, ruined the new car fun I was having. Don't even want to drive it.

Rachel
Old 04-30-2010, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds really horrible, sorry for you. I don't think your reaction is the least bit petty. My suggestion is to stick with your gut and nail them as hard as you can. Losing the thrill of a new car is sickening, especially considering what you have to pay for an Audi and what your expectations are. No mercy!!
Old 04-30-2010, 03:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Definitely not petty! I hope things get worked out quickly and you're back to having fun ASAP!!!
Old 04-30-2010, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, don't let them get away with anything but perfection. That sounds like a nightmare problem. Very sorry to hear about it. I'd call and file a complaint/issue with Audi asap. That way it's documented in their system. They are typically very helpful, especially with new cars. Really tell them how you feel also. Be polite, but get the point across that you're VERY dissatisfied and let down with the new Audi experience. If they don't bend over backwards to make it right, I'd be surprised. Let us know how it goes when you get the time.

Last edited by B8aruba; 04-30-2010 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A bad experience for sure - but just to be realistic, plastic parts are generally supplied unpainted and then painted locally. To 'demand' a factory painted bumper while seeming logically sensible is just not going to happen.

I would however, go with the posters above in the approach - be firm but polite.

Just to be realistic - paint peeling off a bumper isn't a reason to replace a car (or demand Audi to replace it).

John.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What a sad situation. It sounds as if the car may have been repainted, as I've never heard of factory paint peeling like that so soon. Maybe it's worth asking your dealer more background about your car just to see if he/she may conveniently forgot to disclose something to you. Or get down, low and close to your side panels and see if you can see paint blurred or blended together at the edges of the panels. Feel for roughness. Also check for overspray in the door jams, wheel wells, and underframe rails. Shops often leave these areas unmasked and you might spot overspray. If so, you have the law on your side.

Best wishes and don't let it get you down too much. This WILL get resolved and you'll look back on it in a different light as time goes on.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

have delivering dealer disclousure any port or transport damage, this is not unheard of on any brand. perhaps you are suffering of a bad repainting job in a hurry

now to the forum, let's say the dealer does indeed is at fault, either doing a bad reapir or not disclousuring port damage, what can be done then? what would you try to get from regional rep?
Old 05-03-2010, 02:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Frissen
have delivering dealer disclousure any port or transport damage, this is not unheard of on any brand. perhaps you are suffering of a bad repainting job in a hurry

now to the forum, let's say the dealer does indeed is at fault, either doing a bad reapir or not disclousuring port damage, what can be done then? what would you try to get from regional rep?
Thank u, do they have to disclose delivery damage by law?

We will be looking into this today

A hug

Rachel
Old 05-03-2010, 06:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Above a certain amount - yes, disclosure is required. I'm not sure on the exact limits where disclosure is required though. Common sense says that repainting a bumper wouldn't be disclosed.

I think it's accepted by the manufacturers that some cars get damaged in transit. These are repaired by factory trained technicians at the port (at least that's how BMW does it... would suspect Audi is the same).

John.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Rachel

Disclosure is a state by state issue. A new bumper will have to be painted anyway.

This is not an unusual thing. Could have happened at the port (Audi has complete shops at the ports to do touch ups for transport issue) or it could have happened at the dealership (they should tell you if that was the case).

I would give them the chance to fix it at their body shop unless you are aware of a better shop in your area that you prefer.

I realize it is not something that should happen with a new car and sorry for your shock at finding it but in a way it is no different to someone backing into your car while parked and leaving the scene. These things happen.

Quick Reply: 6 days old 63 miles and the paint is peeling bad