A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

A4 3.2 trounced by BMW 335d in Road & Track comparison

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Isn't ADS supposed to give the A4 superior dynamics?

OK, I grant you that all-season tires are not as good for performance testing as summer performance tires, but ADS should be as good or better than the sport suspension in all other aspects (transmission mapping, steering, etc.)

Are you saying that for a fair comparison, the A4 has to be equipped with both the $2950 ADS AND $1450 19" sport package? It is Audi of America's job to field the most competitive vehicle for magazine tests, so you can't blame the magazine. Personally, I think AoA should have provided a B8 A4 2.0T quattro 6MT Prestige S-line to the press when it launched the car, so that it would provide the best performance results.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THe BMW is a torque monster! Car and Driver did a nice review of the car and gave it good remarks.

I thought it was like $53k

Maybe you can load up a A4 with options but no amenities are gonna "beat" that kind of torque that thing puts out!

I also think 0-60 is over rated as are "sport" suspensions in SOME cars.

I think the new A4 is almost too heavy to be a true sport machine.

If you love the A4, thats all that counts!

One should visit the Mercedes, BMW and Audi dealer to make the choice that makes sense to them.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I test drove the C Class estate (old fashioned poor gearbox, didn't like suspension), 3 series touring (touring??? the cargo space was smaller than my S4 saloon!! - nice car though and the A4.

I made my choice and frankly I'm not bothered what some journo says. ost journo's feel they have to pick the RWD, quick car otherwise they lose their cred. I simply don't trust them to post even handed reviews.

Do you own test drive and buy what you prefer.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BonedaleA4
Perhaps this test will spur Audi to bring their 3.0 TDI across the pond to match up against the 335d. I would welcome having this engine as a choice. More torques and better mpg.
Amen! Bring it here please!
Old 04-09-2009, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bada Bing
massive torque advantage of the BMW diesel was to much to overcome (425 vs. 243 lb-ft)
You cannot directly compare tq figures for petrol and diesel engines (different redline = different transmissions).

This is why hp ratings are beeing used (hp = tq and RPM).
Old 04-10-2009, 06:48 AM

Default Did you even read this part of the article?

"As you can imagine, this difference had a significant effect on the Audi's handling manners, as this A4 posted slalom, skidpad and braking numbers below both the BMW and the sport suspension-equipped A4 3.2 Quattro we tested in the October 2008 issue."

It's cool to be a fanboy, but why not hang around BMW websites, at least until you stop selectively reading - or comprehending - reviews.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by laserboy
"As you can imagine, this difference had a significant effect on the Audi's handling manners, as this A4 posted slalom, skidpad and braking numbers below both the BMW and the sport suspension-equipped A4 3.2 Quattro we tested in the October 2008 issue."

It's cool to be a fanboy, but why not hang around BMW websites, at least until you stop selectively reading - or comprehending - reviews.
If you're going to be brutally honest about selective reading (or comprehension), how can you leave out their conclusion, which clearly says a sport-equipped A4 would have still lost the same comparo?

"Put a sport package on this Audi and the points would be closer, as the A4 would've exhibited the handling characteristics (read: far less understeer) we so enjoyed on the model from our October test. Keep in mind we said "closer." Because handling aside, BMW's diesel engine out-drove the Audi's gasoline V-6 — much the same as BMW's twin-turbo 335i out-drives Audi's V-6 for a similar price. As sweet as Audi's 3.2-liter V-6 is, maybe it's time to bring some more power on board"

Or are you just being an Audi fanboy?

*Obvious disclaimer: the above does not imply anyone buying an A4 is merely being a fanboy - we're just debating the validity of this article and its observations, right?
Old 04-10-2009, 11:02 AM

Ah yes the age old Audi versus BMW back and forth bickering. All you need to do is replace BMW and Audi with PC and Mac and you get the same level of discord.

I don't know if folks suffer from an odd sort of buyers remorse, but having to come onto a message board to justify purchasing your A4 based on this Road and Track article is silly. Just sit back and enjoy your car and don't sweat the other stuff. Yes, BMW "won" in this article, but who realy cares other than those that are not convinced, in their own minds, they made the right purchasing decision and those that hate Audi's and want to take every opportunity to say see this other car is better.

You know what I do, I sweat these details before I buy something and after the fact I just don't care. How am I enriched anymore in my buying decision if Audi came out on top? My car won't drive any different. I guess I could go to a BMW board and laugh, but then again my Audi won't drive any different in that case either. I have no vested interest in AoA, so I feel no complusion to defend their honor.

There are cheaper cars than my Audi and there are more expensive cars than my Audi. There are faster cars than my Audi and there are slower cars than my Audi. There are cars with larger engines than my Audi and there are cars with smaller engines than my Audi. There are cars with worse coefficients of drag than my Audi and there are cars with better coefficienst of drag than my Audi. There are cars that get worse gas mileage than my Audi and there are cars that get better gas mileage than my Audi. There are cars that are worse in every category you can imagine than my Audi and there are cars that are better then any category you can imagine than my Audi. But guess what, I still love driving my Audi and I have not for one nanosecond regreted buying my Audi.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mobilehavoc,

You are a very wise man. In Autobahn-blessed German, most 3-series, C-class' and A4's are 4 cylinder Turbo Diesels. They do plenty well there, no-one needs the power of a 3.2 V6 or the 335d - and no-one there claims the 4-cylinders are underpowered.

In 70 mph America, the 0-60 times help inflate egos, nothing more. The whole HP thing is ridiculous beyond a certain point. 200 HP is more than enough for most cars.

Originally Posted by Mobilehavoc
I still don't get the fascination with 0-60 times and performance numbers. It's great for comparing cars and for inflating egos but that's about it IMHO. I personally don't plan on driving on a track too often if at all...in daily driving, if I even gently push the 2.0T engine my wife complains I'm driving too fast!! I can't really utilize it on county/state roads because of traffic or on the highway because of cops. Also, am I really going to notice that my 2.0T takes 7 seconds to hit 60mph as opposed to 5 or 6? Is it going to somehow really impact my life?

I picked the A4 because it's a perfect balance or performance, fuel economy, interior, styling, etc. You can buy cars for half the cost of the A4 and 335d that will leave both in the dust. I guess I just don't get it.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin A6 3.2
Mobilehavoc,

You are a very wise man. In Autobahn-blessed German, most 3-series, C-class' and A4's are 4 cylinder Turbo Diesels. They do plenty well there, no-one needs the power of a 3.2 V6 or the 335d - and no-one there claims the 4-cylinders are underpowered.

In 70 mph America, the 0-60 times help inflate egos, nothing more. The whole HP thing is ridiculous beyond a certain point. 200 HP is more than enough for most cars.
I'm glad at least ONE other person on here gets it

Quick Reply: A4 3.2 trounced by BMW 335d in Road & Track comparison