A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-23-2016, 04:17 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all:
Print Wikipost

A4 B8 CVT Transmission Reliability Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 B8 CVT Transmission Reliability Issues

I took delivery of a 2009 A4 a couple of months ago, and have recently been reading horror stories regarding expensive repairs of CVT TCU failures in the forum.

Needless to say, I am shocked at the prevalence of such a problem from a manufacturer like Audi and even more dismayed when I read of the lack of support provided by Audi to the poor punters who have suffered this problem.

I note that the problems discussed relate mainly to cars that are a few years old (eg. B6 model) and often with high mileage.

My question is, has the fault with CVT transmissions been ironed out by now with the latest model?
Old 05-18-2009, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

mom has a 2002 CVT. had one major failure at 40K miles. replaced within 3 days. at 54K miles- out of warranty- has another small issue which was covered by audi as well. this was a first year car.

we ordered a 2010 CVT for her. have no qualms about it. it is a quick, smooth, efficient tranny. and 8 years later they have worked out 99% of the kinks afaik.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I had a CVT for 5 years no problems

I truly enjoyed the CVT. No major problems at all. So far out of the 5 A4 that I have had this has been my wife's favorite. She just loved the smoothness of the CVT. I would have no problem getting another some day.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnut
I took delivery of a 2009 A4 a couple of months ago, and have recently been reading horror stories regarding expensive repairs of CVT TCU failures in the forum.

Needless to say, I am shocked at the prevalence of such a problem from a manufacturer like Audi and even more dismayed when I read of the lack of support provided by Audi to the poor punters who have suffered this problem.

I note that the problems discussed relate mainly to cars that are a few years old (eg. B6 model) and often with high mileage.

My question is, has the fault with CVT transmissions been ironed out by now with the latest model?
I had no real issues with my 2003. The only thing it did that I didn't like was the engine rpm's dropped right before coming to a stop. But the dealer was never able to pinpoint it to the CVT. They did some ECU programming that helped somewhat. Overall, it was a nice transmission. Married to the 1.8T it was a little weak off the line, but with the 2.0T you can't go wrong. Got great mileage too.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by RXBG
mom has a 2002 CVT. had one major failure at 40K miles. replaced within 3 days. at 54K miles- out of warranty- has another small issue which was covered by audi as well. this was a first year car.

we ordered a 2010 CVT for her. have no qualms about it. it is a quick, smooth, efficient tranny. and 8 years later they have worked out 99% of the kinks afaik.
Thanks. It is encouraging to hear of the improvements to previous problems with the CVT.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by RoyM
I truly enjoyed the CVT. No major problems at all. So far out of the 5 A4 that I have had this has been my wife's favorite. She just loved the smoothness of the CVT. I would have no problem getting another some day.
Great to hear of such positive feedback from someone like yourself who has had wide experience with this transmission. Certainly makes me feel a little more comfortable.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by SFV A4
I had no real issues with my 2003. The only thing it did that I didn't like was the engine rpm's dropped right before coming to a stop. But the dealer was never able to pinpoint it to the CVT. They did some ECU programming that helped somewhat. Overall, it was a nice transmission. Married to the 1.8T it was a little weak off the line, but with the 2.0T you can't go wrong. Got great mileage too.
Thanks for your response. Again, it is nice to hear good news on the CVT front.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default So explain why you now have 2 Quattros???

Originally Posted by RoyM
CVT is crap and I was a fan four years ago. Read any of the horror stories??? Let us know when you buy another Audi CVT.

We had relatively luck with our CVT. Lets see. Tranny changed after two years. Now the imfamous PRDN is flashing which means the TCM is gone and $2K from my wallet. After a scheduled tranny oil flush, now it feels like some plate slip because of the clean tranny oil. Stupid. One SA recommended not changing for this reason. $400 oil change didn't even include oil filter and many SA didn't have parts or know how to do the filter change?

What really irks me?? I can do the TCM for $2K and the tranny may still blow. And being a person who doesn't want to pass on the car to another person, I'm stuck with these POS till its ready for the junkyard.

Shame on you Audi.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

In March 2010 I bought a new left over 2009 A4 Convertible with the CVT. I'm up to 2600 miles now and based on some noises from the front end, the dealer says it needs a new transmission. I thought Audi had ironed out the CVT problems, but looks like they haven't. I'm totally freaking out and asked to make sure the replacement will be a new transmission, but they said Audi has the option of sending a rebuilt "exchange" transmission. The replacement is being shipped in from Germany, so they feel like it is a new one from the factory, but can't give me 100% assurance it will actually be a new one. I read the new car warranty and discovered that it is true they can use a rebuilt. My car has been in service less than 90 days.

After driving BMW and MB for years, I decided to try an Audi. With those cars I never needed anything major and never actually read any of the warranties until now. It looks like they all can use rebuilt parts, but this wasn't the "welcome to Audi" I was looking for.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by austin audi guys
In March 2010 I bought a new left over 2009 A4 Convertible with the CVT. I'm up to 2600 miles now and based on some noises from the front end, the dealer says it needs a new transmission. I thought Audi had ironed out the CVT problems, but looks like they haven't. I'm totally freaking out and asked to make sure the replacement will be a new transmission, but they said Audi has the option of sending a rebuilt "exchange" transmission. The replacement is being shipped in from Germany, so they feel like it is a new one from the factory, but can't give me 100% assurance it will actually be a new one. I read the new car warranty and discovered that it is true they can use a rebuilt. My car has been in service less than 90 days.

After driving BMW and MB for years, I decided to try an Audi. With those cars I never needed anything major and never actually read any of the warranties until now. It looks like they all can use rebuilt parts, but this wasn't the "welcome to Audi" I was looking for.
Ouch!! That sucks. I also purchased a CVT in March and have 3,000 miles on it. No issues yet but all this talk is freaking me out. Did you experience any other issues besides noise? Any gear issues?

Quick Reply: A4 B8 CVT Transmission Reliability Issues