A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

A4 Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2022, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 Oil Consumption

I have a 2014 A4 currently with 83K. When I purchased it, I purchased the Platinum Audi care warranty for 10 yrs/100K, which expires in Nov 2023. The oil consumption has gradually worsened, and is now 1 quart every 700-800 miles consistently for the past 6 months. I took it into Audi dealership, and they wanted $600 to do a "oil consumption test", which I understand to be just topping off the oil and checking the oil level after 800 miles. They indicate it would also include the scope test to look at the rings if it fails audi's requirement for more than 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles. Further, they indicate that even if it fails, I am on the hook for the $600 test and it would not be reimbursed by Audi if in fact the rings need replacement under warranty. Has anyone else gotten this reply from a dealership that has done the consumption test? I seem to read in past posts that dealerships were testing for little or nothing..
Old 12-15-2022, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

who cares . its a 10K fix .. cough it up amd have it fixed.

As your car is a 14 like mine, it has updated PCV flash and seals, so they shouldn't make you jump through those hoops. I would certainly get AoA involved as you should not be paying if it fails the test, only of it passes.. and you absolutely need pistons and rings. And have them put a replacement chain on it when they put it all back together. As they have to take it off anyway. dnt let them soak you for the labour.

Last edited by Airbag; 12-16-2022 at 05:17 AM.
Old 12-15-2022, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

you'll have to do the test in order for audi to approve the warranty fix that requires replacing the piston rings. But i think they make you go through 3 stages of fixes before they finally open up the engine and get to the real fix.
Old 12-18-2022, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Smart of you to get that warranty. Take the hit now and have them fix it, if they can.

Last information I had from looking some months back is that there are NO long blocks available for the 2.0T possibly well into 2023 IF they come back at all. I am not sure what they are going to suggest if (and when) they find your cylinders are damaged. As another aside, I can only find ONE place in the SE that will even SAY they will look at my 2013 in regard to replacing the pistons. No other shop or mechanic I have previously worked with will touch it, and a local mechanic who actually works for Audi offered and then started pulling the nickel and dime on things that should have been a part of the service to the tune of "might as well take it to a dealer and have the warranty" type shenanigans.
Old 12-18-2022, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Stage 1 was originally change the PCV from black cap to white cap, change the front main seal, update the ECM software. Then top off the oil at the correct level. Then you drive until the yellow warning comes on. If it's less than 1k miles, rings/pistons. If it's more than 1k miles, "within spec, have a nice life". Looks like they want to just look at it at 800, or sooner I assume if the yellow comes on. Since you're a 2014, you're already white cap. So what are they charging all that money for? Never heard of this bore scoping stuff. The stage 1 actions were N/C, but that was also for a MY09.
Old 12-19-2022, 05:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SMac770
Stage 1 was originally change the PCV from black cap to white cap, change the front main seal, update the ECM software. Then top off the oil at the correct level. Then you drive until the yellow warning comes on. If it's less than 1k miles, rings/pistons. If it's more than 1k miles, "within spec, have a nice life". Looks like they want to just look at it at 800, or sooner I assume if the yellow comes on. Since you're a 2014, you're already white cap. So what are they charging all that money for? Never heard of this bore scoping stuff. The stage 1 actions were N/C, but that was also for a MY09.
yeah the only reason they would scope is to see if they are replacing just the piston/rings or the whole short block. There is no way you should be paying for that. Sounds like dealership is soaking you and double dipping. Will charge AOA and you.

bottom line that need to change the oil and seal it, have you drive , come back they take it out and weigh it. if it fails .. they fix it. You should have to pay nothing if it fails.

of course everyone knows every company on the planet ae screwing people as hard as they can to get maximum revenue these days.