A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Add oil warning

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok. All is good. I added just, and I mean just over half a bottle. The MMI shows the Min/Max level at around 2/3, maybe 3/4 full. So it seems happy. I could add the rest, but I don't know how much room is left. I left work and drove a few miles to Autozone. My car wasn't fully warmed up yet. I got the oil and added it in the parking lot. The MMI didn't seem ready to read it yet and I didn't feel like sitting in the parking lot. So I drove home which is maybe 1/2 mile and checked the MMI again and that's when I got the reading. I'll check it again in the morning.

Thanks everyone for the replies
Old 02-13-2012, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trlyka
Ok. All is good. I added just, and I mean just over half a bottle. The MMI shows the Min/Max level at around 2/3, maybe 3/4 full. So it seems happy. I could add the rest, but I don't know how much room is left. I left work and drove a few miles to Autozone. My car wasn't fully warmed up yet. I got the oil and added it in the parking lot. The MMI didn't seem ready to read it yet and I didn't feel like sitting in the parking lot. So I drove home which is maybe 1/2 mile and checked the MMI again and that's when I got the reading. I'll check it again in the morning.

Thanks everyone for the replies
The MMI 'bar' represents a full quart, so you can add just under the quart and see how far you have till 'Full'.

Sometimes the MMI reading is finicky. Sometimes after adding oil I have to wait a while before the computer will allow itself to display the oil level. It's the main reason I bought a dipstick. Both for checking when I'm adding oil between changes as well as when I'm changing. I bought mine here:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B8_A4-...ick/ES1899235/
Old 02-13-2012, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
The MMI 'bar' represents a full quart, so you can add just under the quart and see how far you have till 'Full'.

Sometimes the MMI reading is finicky. Sometimes after adding oil I have to wait a while before the computer will allow itself to display the oil level. It's the main reason I bought a dipstick. Both for checking when I'm adding oil between changes as well as when I'm changing. I bought mine here:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B8_A4-...ick/ES1899235/
Oh, ok. I thought the MMI bar was an indication for the entire amount of oil. I just briefly looked at the manual for info on adding the oil and checking the level. I didn't notice where it said anything on the oil level indicator only representing 1 qt. It says the car should be warmed up when checking the levels. If I have time, I'll look again when I get to work, or after work if I forget in the morning. Then add accordingly if needed.

I didn't know there was a place for a dipstick.

Thanks for the info
Old 02-15-2012, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The oil level indicator is now half way between Min/Max and it says the Engine oil level is ok. So I guess half way is good? Originally,when I first added the oil, it was higher on the level, but that was just after adding it and I don't think the car was 100% warmed up. I checked it last night after going out to dinner, so I had driven further and the car had been fully warmed up when it read half way.
Old 02-15-2012, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

I think you're safe adding the rest of the quart. Based on the low oil warning, the car was initially one quart below full, so this makes sense.
Old 02-15-2012, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JD15
I think you're safe adding the rest of the quart. Based on the low oil warning, the car was initially one quart below full, so this makes sense.
I agree with your suggestion, but if you have to err it's best to err on the side of having a little less oil than too much oil. Given the choice between having an engine with one quart under full or one quart over full, I'll take the former.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ok, so if the warning only comes on when it's a full quart low, then technically I could add the full quart.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sly1
I agree with your suggestion, but if you have to err it's best to err on the side of having a little less oil than too much oil. Given the choice between having an engine with one quart under full or one quart over full, I'll take the former.
If the warning indicates it's a quart low, then adding 1 quart shouldn't put it a quart over full. By adding just one quart, it should be at the correct level now
Old 02-15-2012, 11:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The oil level indicator is now half way between Min/Max and it says the Engine oil level is ok. So I guess half way is good? Originally,when I first added the oil, it was higher on the level, but that was just after adding it and I don't think the car was 100% warmed up. I checked it last night after going out to dinner, so I had driven further and the car had been fully warmed up when it read half way.
Keep in mind that if you check while the car is running, or shortly afterwards the MMI won't show the correct level since some oil is in the oiling system of the engine. This would account for the difference between the two you mention.

word

Ok, so if the warning only comes on when it's a full quart low, then technically I could add the full quart.
yepp - but it's still good to only add 3/4 or so to make sure the initial MMI reading isn't a little off. Then you can check it, add as necessary.

Originally Posted by sly1
If the warning indicates it's a quart low, then adding 1 quart shouldn't put it a quart over full. By adding just one quart, it should be at the correct level now
I think what they're trying to say is out of the two situations, it would be better to be low as in your original condition than be over. Being over even a little bit is probably more detrimental to your engine/seals than being slightly lower than full.

Yes, you adding the the 1 qt will take you back to the 'topped off' level you need to be at. But keep in mind you should use the MMI reading as a guide, not the gospel truth. For that, you should use a dipstick
Old 02-23-2012, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have a 2009 A4 2.0, Where would the dipstick go?

Quick Reply: Add oil warning