A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Am I wasting my time? Oil consumption tests

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
As long as I don't have to add oil between changes, it is acceptable to me.
The blow-by vapors oil the turbo so some oil consumption is designed in.

Sorry but not true. This is a design flaw that they failed to correct but sold the buyers that it is normal. A little 4 banger with a turbo should blow no oil. If you are happy then that's great. I just don't want any of the posters to think that they can get one of these cars that don't burn some oil. Enjoy your ride.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Sorry but not true. This is a design flaw that they failed to correct but sold the buyers that it is normal. A little 4 banger with a turbo should blow no oil. If you are happy then that's great. I just don't want any of the posters to think that they can get one of these cars that don't burn some oil. Enjoy your ride.
I have to agree with jagtoes, I've owned several other 4cyl Turbo's (1 Mazda, 3 Saab's) and none of them consumed oil, and I had the Mazda until 220,000KM's (130K miles). My 09 A4 car has become, at 85K km's,(52K miles) a huge liabilty and money pit after 3 relatively care free years. And to think I bought out the lease last year, only the 2nd time in 12 cars. What a regret.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Just purchased a 2015 A4. When I read the manual and saw the 'normal' oil consumption I wasn't impressed. I was assured by the service manager that oil usage would not be an issue.
Only have around 1800km on the machine so far and haven't babied the break-in process, nor has it been abused. No measureable oil consumption to date, electronic or dipstick.
So far service manager speak with straight tongue...
Old 12-23-2015, 07:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil Consumption after stage 2

Originally Posted by tylerritter
Hi Bill - I bought a CPO 2010 A4 2.0T a month ago and noticed the high oil consumption right away. I'd estimate that it was going through 1 quart every 1700-1800 miles. I took it in to my local dealer, who told me it failed part 1 of the consumption test, so they went ahead and replaced the PCV and did the software update.

Probably about a week went by when I noticed the MMI indicator was starting to decline again, so I called them up (actually I called AOA and had them forward me to the dealer) and they told me to come in only when my low engine oil level light came on. This light just came on recently, and this time (post PCV fix) it went through the 1 quart in about 1,900-2,000 miles. After bringing it in today they've told me that it's failed part II and they'll be replacing the pistons and rings.

So they've agreed to do my stage II fix at a little less than 2,000 miles per quart. The owners manual says it's within spec to consume 1 quart every 1,200 miles, so it seems to me that they're acknowledging that number is too low by doing this fix. Which, for a $40k car, it obviously is. I'll update everyone on the consumption levels after the pistons/rings.
What was your oil consumption after this repair? Any impact to fuel economy?
Old 12-30-2015, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

SO, it seems the saga re: Oil consumption in the 2.0T (MY09-) continues into 2016! I just joined the "party" and will try to have it resolved in a few trips to my dealer. I was wondering if any members can share which dearlerships were easiers to work with in their area? It seems prudent (to me) to go to a dealer who will be willing to do the Stage 1 or 2 fix in a reasonable time, than wasting your time at a shop that is playing wack-a-mole...sigh.

I will start with a dealership in Manhattan and see how it goes.....will report in a few weeks how it turned out...

Happy New Year, ALL!!
Old 08-24-2016, 08:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by chazertis
Honestly I don't remember exactly what my oil consumption was. I had them do stage 1 and they said afterwards if the indicator moved at all call them back. I took the car for another one week and the indicator dropped again so I brought it back for stage 2. I even mentioned to the service advisor about reading about the oil measurement and 700 mile test. He actually said they don't do that anymore. This was a little over a year ago.
How many miles did your Audi have when you take if for the initial repair?
Old 08-29-2016, 03:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil consumtion after Stage 2

It has now been 5000 miles since the dealer installed new pistons and rings and there is no oil consumption what so ever that I can measure. Wow, what a difference. This is what is should have been like all along. Work performed at 78000 miles by Hoehn Audi in Carlsbad CA
Old 11-13-2016, 02:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is there a deadline to get the tests completed and work done?