A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

any BMW 3 series defectors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting thread. My wife has been driving a 2001 325i MT since new. I have a B5 A4q 2.8 MT. We both love our cars, but tonight my wife is going to drive a 2009 A4q automatic with the idea of replacing her BMW.

I appreciate everyone's comments. Any problem areas with the 3.2 V6 in the B8 A4q? Anything in particular to look for?

Thank you in advance.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Kessler
I appreciate everyone's comments. Any problem areas with the 3.2 V6 in the B8 A4q? Anything in particular to look for?

Thank you in advance.
More gas stations. Seriously though, I've had zero issues with my '09 3.2 engine and no oil burn off that I've noticed. It's very smooth and pulls evenly all the way up to red line. Sounds great and actually, I get about 23-24 average REAL mpg with half interstate, half around town (up to 26/27 on pure interstate driving). Not as good as the 2.0t but still very respectable for a performance six (my '02 allroad 2.7t six gets an average of around 18-19 mpg). Love the twin exhausts, too.

The only thing to look for, as in all engines, is to check the service records to ensure the car was well maintained. If buying from an Audi dealer, it will likely be certified in any case..
Old 08-02-2011, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just traded my BMW 3 series coupe for an Audi S4.

Would not have traded for an A4, because the inline 6 engine drives smoother than the 4-cylinder turbo. I've driven the A4 as a loaner several times, but always prefer a V6.

Also driving in twisty and curvy roads is a trademark for BMW. However, the S4 has the torque-varying rear sports differential, which makes it drive like a RWD. Again, another reason for going to the S4.

The BMW 328 coupe looks more manly on the exterior, and the interior is more minimalistic in style but very functional. Would not trade it for an A4, even if the A4's interior looks better. But the S4's interior is a touch higher

So, there you go. Will trade the 3 series for an S4, but not an A4.

One more thing. The new A6 looks ugly to me with its edgy shape, and nowhere nears as good lookin as the A4,A5,A7. So, I would go for the new BMW 528 or 535 anytime, compared to the new A6.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday we signed for a B8 Avant. Our garage includes an '03 Allroad and a '00 BMW 328ci. The bimmer is tops, 70000k sport pkg and all the bells and whistles. The Allroad is tops too but we've decided to sell it. But after looking at the interior of the BMW's we were disappointed with the colors. The fit and finish is super but the dash is more user friendly on the A4. We're still keeping the bimmer as it still has much life left and is ball to drive. Letting go of the Allroad was a hard decision. Now we have the best of both worlds. Can't wait for the Avant now.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ayap

[Great]

Would not have traded for an A4, because the inline 6 engine drives smoother than the 4-cylinder turbo. I've driven the A4 as a loaner several times, but always prefer a V6.

[BMW doesn't have a V6]

Also driving in twisty and curvy roads is a trademark for BMW. However, the S4 has the torque-varying rear sports differential, which makes it drive like a RWD. Again, another reason for going to the S4.

[Great again.]

The BMW 328 coupe looks more manly on the exterior, and the interior is more minimalistic in style but very functional. Would not trade it for an A4, even if the A4's interior looks better. But the S4's interior is a touch higher

[Your comparing a coupe to a sedan?]

So, there you go. Will trade the 3 series for an S4, but not an
A4.

[Great again.]

One more thing. The new A6 looks ugly to me with its edgy shape, and nowhere nears as good lookin as the A4,A5,A7. So, I would go for the new BMW 528 or 535 anytime, compared to the new A6.
[Are you buying an A6 or a S4?]
Old 08-03-2011, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ayap

So, there you go. Will trade the 3 series for an S4, but not an A4.

Have you seen the new A6 in person, ayap? Pictures simply don't do the car justice. And the current 5 Series is way uglier than the new A6 (espcially inside). And yes, I have seen both in person.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

I haven't driven either one, but the new A6 really seems to be spanking the 5-series in comparison tests.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default BMW defector

I've had my 2012 A$ Avant for two weeks and am very happy with it. My daughter is quite happy with my 03 325 too. The A4 interior is much nicer than the new BMWs. I have had loaners from BMW and was unimpressed with the materials and pretty much swore off getting another. Though I nearly bought an 03 525 wagon with 60K. But the A4 Wagon was the only choice I could see going forward.

What's great about it? The turbo on the 2.0 if you treat it right, will bring a smile to your face every time you punch it (I do have an automatic, the only us option for avant), The acceleration on the BMW was always great, but the turbo really wins on the A4. I have the sport option and a click of the left paddle shift kicks it down so quick, i was surprised the first time i did it.

The A4 is not as big as I originally thought on interior space, I think the A3 actually has more trunk area. But with racks and a space box I am set.

The technology on this car is over the top. I saw the same MMI console in the new $360 K Lambo that just came out.

Go for it, you'll never look back (until you do)
Old 08-19-2011, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

We need to see some pics of your Avant asap!!! I want to order the same color.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by eswink
The A4 is not as big as I originally thought on interior space, I think the A3 actually has more trunk area. But with racks and a space box I am set.
I'm suprised you'd say that. The trunk on my A4 sedan seems to ahve much more storage room than the boot on my wife's A3.

Quick Reply: any BMW 3 series defectors?