A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

AUDI 2012 A4... No Midrange sound adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 03:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Seattle A6
However - I did plug in my iPod classic (that was essentially unused in the house) and the sound was drastically better. Not amazing, but definitely passable. I wonder if the SD card would be as good, better, worse?
People say the iPod interface is analog so the SD should be better.
I use mostly SD, but on a few occasions we had my son's iPod touch connected and I didn't feel like it sounded worse. The thing is that he listens mostly to pop music and it's a poor choice of music for evaluating an audio system because of the over-boosted bass and lack of treble.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

2012 with the B&O and the nav - no midrange adjustment as well. The B&O is much better than the stock I think. I've been a bit lazy transferring music to the SD card or hard drive, probably since the iPod sounds pretty good to me, with most of my music encoded at 224 Kbits AAC.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default on that note...

Originally Posted by gat821
2012 with the B&O and the nav - no midrange adjustment as well. The B&O is much better than the stock I think. I've been a bit lazy transferring music to the SD card or hard drive, probably since the iPod sounds pretty good to me, with most of my music encoded at 224 Kbits AAC.
not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if just sliding songs/playlists from itunes to an SD will work? Is there any magic to it or just move from one to the other? Will the system in the car recognize playlists on the SD or only individual songs?

Works well with the iPod - just wondering if the same with SD.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2012 Prestige S-Line ( B&O, Nav+) and it does NOT have a midrange option in the settings

not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if just sliding songs/playlists from itunes to an SD will work? Is there any magic to it or just move from one to the other? Will the system in the car recognize playlists on the SD or only individual songs?

Works well with the iPod - just wondering if the same with SD.
For playlists, you have to edit them to "fix" the directory structure to match what it is on your SD card. if you use the same folder structure ( copied directly from your iTunes folder), you mainly just have to remove the path to your itunes folder for each item.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Three day old'12 P+, Nav, Sport, non-B&O. I agree that the stereo is not great at all, especially plain radio.

However - I did plug in my iPod classic (that was essentially unused in the house) and the sound was drastically better. Not amazing, but definitely passable. I wonder if the SD card would be as good, better, worse?

I suppose a possible speaker updgrade might solve the issue - tough to do on these?
I noticed that too! I was feeling a little bummed about the stereo and then plugged in my iPod and was pleasantly surpised...haven't tried the SD card but will this weekend...
Old 02-23-2012, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I had been in contact with my dealer about my dissatisfaction with the radio in my 12 prem plus.
He suggested I come by so he could have a listen. First we sat in my car, and listened to some Sirius stations. He agreed it wasn't great. Then he took me to my old car, (2009 A4 prem plus that I traded in, and was still on his lot), and he was blown away by how much better it sounded. We then listened to another new A4, and it sounded just as bad as mine. Unfortunately, there is no recourse, but at least it confirmed what I was hearing - that the '12 radio sucks.
I do agree that the ipod interface is a big improvement. Since it is analog out, it doesn't need to use the digital to analog converters that all the other interfaces need to go through. That is probably the reason for the improved sound. Better, but by no means great.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ezveedub
Here's a pic
Here is a pic of mine. 2010 B&O - no Nav.

I am pretty sure it is 100% related to whether or not you have Nav. The DSP description as well as the options below that menu differ as well. I recall playing with that menu on a Nav car. It is different b/c the Nav equipped cars have the digital (fiber) bus whereas the non-nav have old school analog so it doesn't support some of the stuff.

Originally Posted by Zapper247
Hi
Also, I am getting many more drop-outs in Sirius, than I used to, and that is along the exact same route I take to and from work.
My Sirius has WAY more drops than my B6 XM (Bose system). I never really experienced a drop with XM. With Sirius I get drops when I go beneath an overpass, no signal in my garage, and drops while driving through the countryside on a clear sunny day with no obstructions. Annoying.

Although, I'm not so sure it has to do with the car as much as Sirius transmission. I suspect they have fewer terrestrial repeaters. I notice that every overpass i go under (even single lane freeway connectors) cuts my signal IN THE SUBURBS, but i can go under huge 8 lane freeway and even be stopped beneath it and never lose signal INSIDE THE LOOP (within 15 miles of downtown).