A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Audi a4 b8 repairing foggy/hazy headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi a4 b8 repairing foggy/hazy headlights

Hey. One of my audi a4 b8 headlights are slightly foggy. I am planning to apply smoke tint to my headlights soon but before I do that I would like to make my headlights crystal clear. After watching numerous guides on youtube I have come up with a plan:

1. Wash the headlights/ clean with alcohol

2. Wet sand with 1000grit sand paper

3. Wet sand with 2000grit sand paper

4. Hand polish with maguairs plastx

5. Apply clear coat to protect from UV.

The only thing that I am concerned about is whether I should polish after applying the clear coat or before applying the clear coat?
Old 10-24-2020, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another option is to buy new clear headlight covers off eBay. They run about $75 per pair and you need to buy the special glue as well for another $15 or so. All it takes is a heat gun to remove the stock covers and replace the new ones. I think I've seen videos where an oven is used to heat the adhesive to soften it, but I used a heat gun. It was pretty easy and my headlights look factory perfect. You can even tint the new covers before you install them I would assume. I've gone the sand/polish/clear coat route several times and it's cheaper, but you need to put a lot of elbow grease into it to sand through the fogging, depending on how bad it is. My audi headlights weren't so much fogged as there were a ton of micro-cracks throughout the plastic so I doubt it could have been sanded out. That said, sanding and clear coating only lasts for so long. Maybe a year or two in harsh sun. I don't think I'll ever do it again now that I know about just replacing the covers. If you go the clear coat route look into the Dupli-Color kit. I've had good luck with it.