A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Audi B8 Remote Central Locking No Longer Works - Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi B8 Remote Central Locking No Longer Works - Help Please

Hello all, long time reader, first time poster. I have looked for this issue but cannot find the same symptoms. The remote central locking on my Audi A4 (B8) 2008 model has randomly stopped working. I'd sincerely appreciate any and every suggestion you have as I'm all out of ideas: Here are the key points:
  • The central locking no longer works via the remote key fob. The central locking does work, when one uses the key in the key fob via the key barrel in the door.
  • The central locking works when in side the car and one presses the lock / unlock button
  • I have two original key fobs (they're the non-sprung loaded key type that you push into the dash). Both were working and all of a sudden, have stopped.
  • I have replaced both batteries in the remote controls (they're those 2032 coin batteries) and the light on the remote lights up, but still does not work.
  • I have checked every fuse on the car twice (there are two fuse boxes at the front of the car, accessible when one opens the doors in the side of the dash and one in the right hand side of the luggage compartment) and all are fine (I've removed and replaced them)
  • I've had a new battery on the car fitted (the original batter was the original battery, lasted 10years!)
  • When one presses the remote fob button to lock or unlock the car, there is NO noise from the car (i.e. not like the vacuum pump is trying, but something mechanical has broken), thus I'm assuming this is an issue with the electronics of the car
  • It started happening in close proximity to two events: 1.) Enabling the rear child locks via the mechanical switch on the door (that requires a screwdriver) 2.) I mistook a similar looking switch (as the chlid lock) which is hidden under a gromet with a padlock on the rear doors
  • I've tried disabling the child locks and played around with this secret setting under the padlock to no avail (I think they're adjusters for the actuators, but not sure)
  • non of the buttons on the fob trigger a response from the car
  • There are no other warning lights and all doors open and close smoothly when unlocked.
Am I missing a hidden fuse? Is the receiving unit accessible and testable?

Thanks so much!
Old 11-13-2017, 07:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

You mentioned:
  • The central locking no longer works via the remote key fob. The central locking does work, when one uses the key in the key fob via the key barrel in the door.
  • The central locking works when in side the car and one presses the lock / unlock button
The symptoms sounds like the door actuators had failed. If you answer "Yes" to the following questions, get them replaced and you will be a happy owner again.

1. When you lock the doors using the remote key fob, the red LED at the driver's will light up intermittently.
2. When you unlock the doors using the remote key fob, the doors cannot be opened using the external door handles, but ok to open the boot and the gas flap.
3. Open the windows before locking using the remote key fobs, then unlock using the remote key fob again, and the doors can only be opened by reaching for the internal door handles.

For you information my 8K2 had 3 door actuators replaced over the past few years, plus the lock for the gas flap. Door locks/actuators have always been problematic for VAG cars (VW/Audi/Skoda/SEAT), plus cars using VAG parts (e.g Porsche Macan).
Old 11-14-2017, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by apx apx
You mentioned:
The symptoms sounds like the door actuators had failed. If you answer "Yes" to the following questions, get them replaced and you will be a happy owner again.

1. When you lock the doors using the remote key fob, the red LED at the driver's will light up intermittently.
2. When you unlock the doors using the remote key fob, the doors cannot be opened using the external door handles, but ok to open the boot and the gas flap.
3. Open the windows before locking using the remote key fobs, then unlock using the remote key fob again, and the doors can only be opened by reaching for the internal door handles.

For you information my 8K2 had 3 door actuators replaced over the past few years, plus the lock for the gas flap. Door locks/actuators have always been problematic for VAG cars (VW/Audi/Skoda/SEAT), plus cars using VAG parts (e.g Porsche Macan).
Hello APX, thank you very much for taking the time in replying. All 3 of your suggests involve unlocking the doors using the remote key fob. The crux of my problem is the remote key fob does not unlock the doors, nor is there any audible or visual indication that the fob's signal has been received by the car. I.e there is no whiring of motors, or flashing of lights.

It's like I'm using different fobs for the wrong car (which is def. not the case!).
Old 11-15-2017, 01:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi Dan, if you still consider something wrong with your remote key fob, try this simple move - unlock the doors with the remote key fob, and before touching the door handles, can you open the boot or gas flap? If both can be opened, your key fob is working perfectly.

Or you may think the central locking has something wrong, that the central locking computer fails to send any signal to unlock the doors. Try my previously suggested testing #3 - wind down the windows, lock using the key fob, unlock using the key fob, and if you can open the doors from the door levers inside, it mean the actuator had received the "unlock" command from the computer, yet not able the unlock as the actuator itself is not working.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by apx apx
Hi Dan, if you still consider something wrong with your remote key fob, try this simple move - unlock the doors with the remote key fob, and before touching the door handles, can you open the boot or gas flap? If both can be opened, your key fob is working perfectly.

Or you may think the central locking has something wrong, that the central locking computer fails to send any signal to unlock the doors. Try my previously suggested testing #3 - wind down the windows, lock using the key fob, unlock using the key fob, and if you can open the doors from the door levers inside, it mean the actuator had received the "unlock" command from the computer, yet not able the unlock as the actuator itself is not working.
Hello APX,

that's a great suggestion. The conclusion of my testing is that nothing works. The windows don't go up, the tailgate does not open. This indicates to me that the signals from (both) key fob are not being received.

I'm guessing there is a fuse on the receiving part of the remote central locking sensor which has gone, but can't find out where it is?
Old 11-23-2017, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan Simms
Hello APX,

that's a great suggestion. The conclusion of my testing is that nothing works. The windows don't go up, the tailgate does not open. This indicates to me that the signals from (both) key fob are not being received.

I'm guessing there is a fuse on the receiving part of the remote central locking sensor which has gone, but can't find out where it is?
It's in the side of the dash once you open the door there is a triangle flap that removes and exposes more fuses there is one on the drivers side and (possibly depending on model and year) passenger side.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Jumping in on an old post.

Hi folks sorry to jump in on this, I have an Audi A3 Sportback and am having issues with the doors too. The keyfobs apear to be working as when I press the lock/unlock buttons it either locks or sounds to unlock but the doors won’t open from the outside and the tailgate takes a few attempts to get it to inlock. Any ideas greatly appreciated. I am going to get the battery tested this weekend as it’s gotten worse with this colder weather so my inclination is toward the actuators? P.S the drivers door will unlock if the key is used.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Dan Simms
Hello APX, thank you very much for taking the time in replying. All 3 of your suggests involve unlocking the doors using the remote key fob. The crux of my problem is the remote key fob does not unlock the doors, nor is there any audible or visual indication that the fob's signal has been received by the car. I.e there is no whiring of motors, or flashing of lights.

It's like I'm using different fobs for the wrong car (which is def. not the case!).
Hello to Dan Simms, I have the same problem with locking the audio as I do, I'm wondering if you managed to solve the problem
Old 12-12-2017, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by MIKIAUDI
Hello to Dan Simms, I have the same problem with locking the audio as I do, I'm wondering if you managed to solve the problem
?
Old 02-25-2018, 08:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Are we talking about the 8 speed multitronic CVT?

Quick Reply: Audi B8 Remote Central Locking No Longer Works - Help Please