A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Clicking noise and won’t start!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking noise and won’t start!

2008 Audi A4 Quattro S line. 97,500 miles.

This problem started a couple months ago. Car wouldn’t crank and it just made a clicking noise but all the lights and radio work! Just click click click click..
then a few days later it started up... Finally it just didn’t start back up again... bad starter maybe?

Battery is approx 1.5 yrs old.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated guys and gals!

I will post a short video if I can since this is on my iPhone not sure if it will work.
Attached Files
Old 05-18-2019, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

When it won’t start try pulling the spark plugs out. Maybe an injector is filling a cylinder with fuel and after the car sits the fuel will pass by the rings and into your oil allowing it to then again crank. Just a thought because I’ve seen it happen before.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Roger that. Good info. Thanks a ton!
Old 05-20-2019, 03:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008A4
Roger that. Good info. Thanks a ton!
Disregard the last post as the fuel injectors don't work unless the engine is turning over. You need to check the starter. The clicking is the starter solenoid not engaging the starter. Either a bad battery voltage or connection or a bad solenoid.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

I am betting on a bad battery
Old 05-20-2019, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
Disregard the last post as the fuel injectors don't work unless the engine is turning over. You need to check the starter. The clicking is the starter solenoid not engaging the starter. Either a bad battery voltage or connection or a bad solenoid.
Ahh ok that makes sense. I’m wondering if I could just try a rolling startup with this guy since it’s a manual so I don’t have to pay for a tow! Never done rolling start but doesn’t seem to difficult
Old 05-20-2019, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I am betting on a bad battery
Yeah after I posted this I was able to find some more people having the same issue. I just find it odd since the battery is relatively new but def is a possibility. I might just pull it out and get it tested before I do anything else
Old 05-20-2019, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jagtoes
If you read what I wrote you’ll clearly see that I said nothing about the injectors firing. I said, Maybe an injector is filling a cylinder with fuel and after the car sits the fuel will pass by the rings and into your oil allowing it to then again crank. Because Audi injectors have a higher than normal rate of failure and they will stick open and leak the high side rail pressure into a cylinder if it has a bad injector.

@jagtoes i honestly don’t know what your problem is because every comment I make you try to undermine. I’m an actual Audi technician and before that VW and Porsche so I think I probably understand what what happens with these cars.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Caelismadison
If you read what I wrote you’ll clearly see that I said nothing about the injectors firing. I said, Maybe an injector is filling a cylinder with fuel and after the car sits the fuel will pass by the rings and into your oil allowing it to then again crank. Because Audi injectors have a higher than normal rate of failure and they will stick open and leak the high side rail pressure into a cylinder if it has a bad injector.

@jagtoes i honestly don’t know what your problem is because every comment I make you try to undermine. I’m an actual Audi technician and before that VW and Porsche so I think I probably understand what what happens with these cars.
Not seeing your credentials I can't verify your abilities. I'll check with the Albany Audi service manager tomorrow on a few of the discussions. Have a good day.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Appreciate the info guys. I’ll let ya know how it turns out. 🤘🤘

Quick Reply: Clicking noise and won’t start!