A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Color vs Red MFD?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Color vs Red MFD?

I just took a look at the 2012 brochure... It shows a picture of an A4 dash with the MFD (display between the speedo and tach) as all red text on a non navi car. I seem to recall from my 2011 model test drive that all A4's came with the color display.

Does anyone know for sure? Is this a change for '12? I have a non navi ( I just don't care for nav) on order, but really prefer the color/ white display on the MFD...
Old 08-19-2011, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The color MFD is only available on A4's equipped with the Navigation package. Otherwise, the MFW will be monochromatic amber.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks... Does it display all the same info?
Old 08-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

All the same non navi related info that is?
Old 08-19-2011, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 08CW6MT
I just took a look at the 2012 brochure... It shows a picture of an A4 dash with the MFD (display between the speedo and tach) as all red text on a non navi car. I seem to recall from my 2011 model test drive that all A4's came with the color display.

Does anyone know for sure? Is this a change for '12? I have a non navi ( I just don't care for nav) on order, but really prefer the color/ white display on the MFD...
This is not new for 2012 - it's been the case for at least a few years, on both the A4 and S4. I hate that red display; my eyes won't focus on red that close without reading glasses, but the color display is fine for me. The non-nav A3 and TT's have had the color display for several years, so I don't know why they continue to use the red display on the A4 series.
Functionally, you still have the same non-nav trip computer information and display options.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you- I appreciate the reply / info.

I was hoping for the color display- I have the red now in my VW- but hey I'll get over it

Originally Posted by AudiAnnie
This is not new for 2012 - it's been the case for at least a few years, on both the A4 and S4. I hate that red display; my eyes won't focus on red that close without reading glasses, but the color display is fine for me. The non-nav A3 and TT's have had the color display for several years, so I don't know why they continue to use the red display on the A4 series.
Functionally, you still have the same non-nav trip computer information and display options.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AudiAnnie
The non-nav A3 and TT's have had the color display for several years
In the A3 really??? Then it's even more inexcusable that it still exists for the A4.

The red display is absolutely hideous. I hate it so much that I was almost willing to pay the $2500 nav package cost just for the color display. Given that it's the thing I would be looking at the most inside the car, the non-nav display was absolutely not an option for me.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't really mind the red display that much. Sure the color display is a lot nicer, but there is no way I would pay $2500 just for that. I guess it bothers some more than others. I am perfectly fine with it.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I agree re: not worth 2500... Happy to see that the functionality is the same... Wonder if that would be an easy swap/ mod?

Originally Posted by NPuter
I don't really mind the red display that much. Sure the color display is a lot nicer, but there is no way I would pay $2500 just for that. I guess it bothers some more than others. I am perfectly fine with it.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 08CW6MT
I agree re: not worth 2500... Happy to see that the functionality is the same... Wonder if that would be an easy swap/ mod?
It is an easy swap if you could find an instrument control panel with a color display that matches your car and has less than 1k miles (I think - if they are run over a certain mileage, it locks and the mileage cannot be altered) for a decent price - which is a very difficult task

All 2012 S4s now have the color display standard regardless of nav. It is good step forward - no S4 should have a red display.

Quick Reply: Color vs Red MFD?