A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Comparison between A4 B8 and 335xi

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Comparison between A4 B8 and 335xi

I had planned to get an A4 B8 this year, but I'm starting to have second thoughts. I've recently looked at the 2009 335xi and am wondering if that might be a better option, for the following reasons:

- the A4 B8, 2.0T Premium, Navi, ADS, B&O, Tech is very similar in price to a 335xi with similar options (only $3000 more for the 335).

- BMW is significantly faster (5.9sec 0-60)and IMHO handles equally well. Both are AWD. Unfortunately, no ADS equivalent on the BMW.

- the i-Drive with Navi on the BMW is better than the MMI with Navi on the Audi. The improved i-Drive system (8" screen, better mapping, POI's etc.) is much better than Audi's 2G MMI (I'm sure I'll feel different when 3G MMI is available, but who knows when that will be....).

Also, the BMW dealer actually seems to want my business - my Audi dealer won't even return calls.

I still like the fuel economy on the Audi 2.0T as well as the greater rear seat room but with Audi unwilling to budge on price along with outdated MMI/Navi - I'm seriously considering the BMW.

Anyway - I'd be interested to hear if anyone has done a similar A4 vs. 335ix comparison.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Not the same cost with similar options IMO

and interior of 3 series is cheaply constructed

335xi handles a little better and is faster.

But has lower MPG.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Last time I checked, a 335xi spec'd comparably to a B8 A4 was much more expensive?

Even with the 3.2 V6, a B8 fully loaded is cheaper than a 335xi fully loaded. This may have changed recently. I did some extensive comparison between 335xi and B8 before settling on B8. I love the engine on the 335xi but that's about it. Interior is meh, quality of materials leave something to be desired. iDrive is personal preference thing and I still find the new iDrive a total clusterf*ck but that's just me. Audi's MMI may not be flashy but it's way more ergonomic (most car pundits agree). I think the new 3G MMI in the 2010 A4 will be a force to be reckoned with but even the current MMI does it's job well.

I've also HEARD that the quattro with Audi is a much better AWD system than the XDrive system with BMW. I guess this is a subjective item too but who knows.

Overall, all that and the fact that in my area everybody and their grandmother has a 3-series made me go with the A4. I love the way it looks, the interior and the way it drives. i don't plan on taking it to a track so the 2.0T gives me great performance and full economy.

In the end, it's a pure preference thing.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default They are the same cost...

At least using CDN prices. A loaded 2.0T is $54,500, with the loaded 335xi coming in at $58,500 or so. The 3.2 S-line is $60,400.

That said, they are still very different cars. The performance of the BMW rocks. Neither the 2.0T or the 3.2 are even close. The interiors of the Audi puts the BMW to shame. Frankly, I think the BMW's have boring interiors (this coming from a guy that has had 2 of them!). Exterior is very subjective, but I think the Audi's are far prettier.

The other factor is the brutual depreciation of the Audi's. If I decide on the Audi, it almost makes sense to wait until they hit the used car market so someone else can get battered with the depreciation.

The final factor (at least in Canada), is that I can't get the 2.0T with s-line. This royally sucks, because s-line really adds to the car.

Decisions, decisions.

I'm going to be in the same boat as the OP this summer, and it's going to be a tough decision.

If I could buy a manual (my wife doesn't), I think I would go with a 2.0T and mod it over time since I prefer the look of both exterior and interior. Since I won't have the mod option, the BMW may be a better platform for fun driving.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Very good point about the common nature of the 3 series!
Old 02-25-2009, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default While the 335xi is very quick...

...I doubt that it handles better. The slalom numbers that I've seen for the A4 are higher than the the three series.

...but if I didn't need to haul a kayak I might be in a 335i coupe. That be mighty fine.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Re: Comparison between A4 B8 and 335xi

I drive a BMW 335xi Coupe (6-speed manual), my wife is about to get her A4 Avant 2.0T Prem + (should arrive early April). So I guess I'm a pretty good person to ask.
This is actually a choice I'll need to make myself in about 26 months when my 335xi lease is finished.

In my estimation, these are 2 completely different cars. The BMW 335xi is a high performance 4-wheel-drive "drivers car". 0-60 on my coupe is listed at 5.2 seconds by BMW, but some magazine tests have put it at 5.0 or even 4.9! Cornering stability at high speed is simply telepathic- you truly "feel" the road as they say. Every input you make with the steering wheel gives you crisp feedback from the road.

The A4 2.0T can be summed up in one phrase: it's a DIFFERENT car! 0-60 is listed by Audi at 6.5 (manual) up to 6.7 (auto), with some magazine tests putting it at 6.2 (auto). That puts it, at best, about ONE full second behind the 335xi, and at worst nearly TWO full seconds behind. You will feel that difference in the seat. Cornering stability, while solid and reassuring in the A4, is not as "telepathic" as the 335xi.

So, performance-wise, if you're choosing between an equivalently equipped A4 and 335xi, the performance winner and true "drivers" car is the 335xi. However, if you want a car that drives extremely well along with a FAR SUPERIOR interior treatment (and you can sacrifice quite a bit of top-end performance) - go for the A4 2.0T and don't look back.

By the way- when I checked the prices, the 335xi sedan is almost always around $8K to $10K MORE than an equivalently equipped A4 2.0T, so in more ways than just performance, these cars are in TWO different price classes.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

second that! Too many bimmers out there.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I wish the prices were that different in Canada...

It would make my decision sooooo much easier.

Having said that, if you consider the availability of the Avant, I think it becomes an easy decision since the Avant is much better looking than the 3 series wagon (at least in my opinion).
Old 02-25-2009, 07:24 PM

Default yeah but those are all the lower end 325/328's

I see tons of 328s as well, but rarely do I ever see a 335. As for performance, shouldn't you be comparing the S4 instead?

Quick Reply: Comparison between A4 B8 and 335xi