A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Considering my first Audi

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Considering my first Audi

I'm a 3-time Acura buyer who has been very satisfied with the brand. They've been very reliable, sporty enough to satisfy me about 75% of the time, and I personally find them to be a great value.

But I think it's time to try something new. And, as I look around at competitor sport sedans, Audi keeps on coming up on top of my look list due to the attention to cabin design, understated sheet metal elegance, a focus on technology/gadgetry, and focus on safety.

So, I took a few test drives recently. Here's my log:

First drive: Expecting it to be substantially faster than my existing 2005 TSX, I was a bit underwhelmed with the performance. I think I felt turbo lag which I didn't like much. Prefer linear acceleration of naturally aspirated engine.

But, wow. That interior design. The NAV/GUI is phenomenal (albeit small), and the gage cluster LCD screen is really fantastic (P+/6-speed model).

The seats are OK -- nothing amazing, but fine. Cup holders are oddly small. Someone needs to take the Audi engineers to a 7-11 one day.

Second drive: Much more rewarding. Not sure why. Different dealership, different roads, and obviously different car (though still a P+/6-speed). Didn't feel the lag this time. Felt peppier. Taking the twisties was fun and sporty, but honestly, I still felt it was in the same league as my FWD 2005 TSX! (really?)

Third drive: Drove it right after test driving a 2011 TSX. This time, the difference was more striking when just sitting in the cabin. While my TSX has a pretty nice and clean interior design, I feel Acura went a bit nutso with the *****, and the NAVI GUI looks like Windows 3.1 and the Audi looks like Windows 7. So, big difference there.

Car performance was solid, as usual. Nothing wrong at all with it. But it's no Porsche. And what I mean by that is that with the 0-60 speed being almost 2 seconds faster than the TSX, I just expected the difference to be night and day in terms of speed. And with the AWD vs. the FWD, I expected the handling to be substantially -- not slightly -- better.

So, Audi certainly comes out on top (even if just slightly in my test drives) in almost every category.

So, what's the hesitation? Well, it's certainly better, and I really kinda like it, but in terms of what I can buy a car for, it's about $9k more than a relatively-similar TSX. I can afford either car. I'm now looking for encouragement from fans to help push me over the edge!

Oh, also, a few questions:

1. Can a sports suspension be applied later if I desire a tighter ride?
2. Will Audi really come through with an in-place upgrade for bluetooth streaming?
3. As an Acura owner, am I going to be bummed out by the reliability of an Audi?

Any other insights, perspectives, etc., greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Jon
Old 01-27-2011, 07:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you pretty much already made up your mind. Other than the reliability factor, the negatives are pretty minor. The A4 is a beautiful piece of work and you are sure to find things about it after delivery that you didn't even expect.
About that reliability. They do pretty decent overall. Not going to be as bulletproof as some of the asian makes, but I think they are tolerable. Also easier to hold on to these cars for 3-5 years, rather than longer with higher miles. Maintenance can become costly.
Good luck!
Old 01-28-2011, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I suggest driving one with a sports suspension before making a decision. The rear seats that fold down were a big deal to me since I came off a larger M35X. Have you tried a G37X? Worth a look if you want more tech and acceleration.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonDeutsch
I'm a 3-time Acura buyer who has been very satisfied with the brand. They've been very reliable, sporty enough to satisfy me about 75% of the time, and I personally find them to be a great value.

But I think it's time to try something new. And, as I look around at competitor sport sedans, Audi keeps on coming up on top of my look list due to the attention to cabin design, understated sheet metal elegance, a focus on technology/gadgetry, and focus on safety.

So, I took a few test drives recently. Here's my log:

First drive: Expecting it to be substantially faster than my existing 2005 TSX, I was a bit underwhelmed with the performance. I think I felt turbo lag which I didn't like much. Prefer linear acceleration of naturally aspirated engine.

But, wow. That interior design. The NAV/GUI is phenomenal (albeit small), and the gage cluster LCD screen is really fantastic (P+/6-speed model).

The seats are OK -- nothing amazing, but fine. Cup holders are oddly small. Someone needs to take the Audi engineers to a 7-11 one day.

Second drive: Much more rewarding. Not sure why. Different dealership, different roads, and obviously different car (though still a P+/6-speed). Didn't feel the lag this time. Felt peppier. Taking the twisties was fun and sporty, but honestly, I still felt it was in the same league as my FWD 2005 TSX! (really?)

Third drive: Drove it right after test driving a 2011 TSX. This time, the difference was more striking when just sitting in the cabin. While my TSX has a pretty nice and clean interior design, I feel Acura went a bit nutso with the *****, and the NAVI GUI looks like Windows 3.1 and the Audi looks like Windows 7. So, big difference there.

Car performance was solid, as usual. Nothing wrong at all with it. But it's no Porsche. And what I mean by that is that with the 0-60 speed being almost 2 seconds faster than the TSX, I just expected the difference to be night and day in terms of speed. And with the AWD vs. the FWD, I expected the handling to be substantially -- not slightly -- better.

So, Audi certainly comes out on top (even if just slightly in my test drives) in almost every category.

So, what's the hesitation? Well, it's certainly better, and I really kinda like it, but in terms of what I can buy a car for, it's about $9k more than a relatively-similar TSX. I can afford either car. I'm now looking for encouragement from fans to help push me over the edge!

Oh, also, a few questions:

2. Will Audi really come through with an in-place upgrade for bluetooth streaming?
3. As an Acura owner, am I going to be bummed out by the reliability of an Audi?

Thanks in advance,
Jon
Other than the following: the occasional lemon, incompetent dealer or any combination of these two things, waterpump failures with the S4, S5 convertible, S5 Sport-back and Q5 3.0T (all of which have the supercharged gasoline 3L V6) for model year 2010, vibrations and other steering and front suspension issues with model years 2008, 2009 and early build 2010 B8 platform Audi vehicles, all Audi vehicles on the B7 and B8 platforms are one of the best vehicles out there in dependability, durability, quality, reliability, safety, satisfaction, security and service. Definitely go ahead and buy, finance or lease a B8 platform Audi vehicle. You won't regret it.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

1. Yes, but you should find a Sports Package outfitted car, like mentioned. Especially considering your so-so experience with the seats. I imagine you've sat in a non-SP equiped vehicle. I didn't consider anything besides a Sports Package/Titanium Package/S-Line for this reason.

2. complete unknown to me, I'm happy with the MMI. I agree with your thoughts, Honda/Acura Nav looks ancient compared to most Navs...

3. My mechanic loves/hates the new Audi's for this reason. Typically the owners on these boards tend to be very forthcoming with little problems, so it sometimes seems as though they're is a lot of issues with some cars, but the vast majority have no problems. There's no "I've had my Audi for xxxxx miles, and have had no major flaws" thread. (this is gleaned from my experiences at vwvortex with my 2006 GTI too)

My mechanic likes the new Audi's because he's found them to be very solid. They're actually pretty easy to work on too, changing your own oil is a possibility! So, he'll probably only see it for an occasional inspection. (I live pretty far away from an Audi dealership, and don't have Audi Care)
Old 01-28-2011, 08:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was in the same boat you were looking at new cars.

as I just picked up my 2011 a4 3 weeks ago these are my only complaints (they may or may not matter to you)

the sound system I feel is not that well for the price you pay. I only have the Audi concert sound system and I honestly think the sound system in my 2006 honda civic SI was better. I have my ***** at plus 5 for trebble, 0 for mid base and plus 3 or 4 for base and i hear the the rear speakers occationally hit something.

The windshield wipers are terrible. I live in Edmonton Alberta with lots of cold weather and when they ice up your're driving blind. I expected alot more.

but other then that its a solid car!!

they also have audi care so all your maintence is covered for the first 4yrs/80km which I find because Acura does not offer that.

The quattro system is also amazing as in the last 2 weeks we have had over 55cm of snow and my A4 went through it like nothing!.

minor details, but when spending 45 thousand dollars, its good to nit pick even if its the little things. other then that its an amazing car!!
good luck in your decision!
Old 01-28-2011, 10:22 AM
dk1
AudiWorld Member

I was just in an Acura dealership the other week helping my father in law buy an RDX. I sat in TSX thinking it's pretty damn nice. Driver controls and console didn't match A4 but it was very good overall. For about 10K less you have to really want an Audi. In mine opinion what Audi has best is the combination of handling, understated looks and probably the best interior in class. Straight line accelleration - not so much, although MPG is good on the flip side.

For what it's worth I did not have major issues in my 2 years of ownership but if you are unlucky to get a major failure after warranty expires this will be the last Audi you ever buy. Parts and labor costs are crazy.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

try to find a sport package (often hard to find on dealer lots) - that makes for a very different A4. an aftermarket ecu tune will also pep up the ride quite a bit and put a smile on your face.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JonDeutsch

Thanks in advance,
Jon
1. You can but the Sport Package is more then just suspension. It comes with tighter steering and better seats and wheels.
2. Nobody here knows
3. 20k miles and no issue's with mine.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Barrels41
I suggest driving one with a sports suspension before making a decision. The rear seats that fold down were a big deal to me since I came off a larger M35X. Have you tried a G37X? Worth a look if you want more tech and acceleration.
I thought all the A4 (P+ and above) had folding rear seats? It's certainly important to me, yes.

I have not tried the G37X, but I probably should. Reasons for not looking at it to date include:

1. Not in love with exterior design
2. Not in love with the AWD fuel economy

Quick Reply: Considering my first Audi