A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Continental ExtremeContact DWS vs. Pirelli P6 tires - REVIEW

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Been driving with the DWS's for about 500mi now. Definitely quieter than the OEM good year LS2's. Response is about the same as the LS2's when I switched them out at 37k but actually not as accurate as the LS2's when I bought the car new. However, it's not that much off and has been bearable so far.

One thing I noticed is what I initially thought was significant instability at highway speeds. At first I thought it was due to weak sidewalls as some people have been referring to. So I added a few more psi's (37.5psi all around). Basically no difference other than ridiculously light steering. So I lowered to 35psi all around (door jam recommends 32f/35r) for relatively normal steering weight.

After a some additional miles, I'm now attributing the instability to significant tramlining on randomly grooved highways. I definitely did not notice this with the LS2's. If anyone's in the MA area, I take 93 to 95 from boston to burlington each day and many parts of 93/95 are plain horrible with these tires where I can barely stay in my lane. Wondering if anyone has had the same experience. It's a little difficult to gauge given the poor road conditions around here. Moving to MA from a state also renown for poor road conditions, I can only say that at least in NJ, after they repave a road, the road is flat.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by userbbc
Been driving with the DWS's for about 500mi now. Definitely quieter than the OEM good year LS2's. Response is about the same as the LS2's when I switched them out at 37k but actually not as accurate as the LS2's when I bought the car new. However, it's not that much off and has been bearable so far.

One thing I noticed is what I initially thought was significant instability at highway speeds. At first I thought it was due to weak sidewalls as some people have been referring to. So I added a few more psi's (37.5psi all around). Basically no difference other than ridiculously light steering. So I lowered to 35psi all around (door jam recommends 32f/35r) for relatively normal steering weight.

After a some additional miles, I'm now attributing the instability to significant tramlining on randomly grooved highways. I definitely did not notice this with the LS2's. If anyone's in the MA area, I take 93 to 95 from boston to burlington each day and many parts of 93/95 are plain horrible with these tires where I can barely stay in my lane. Wondering if anyone has had the same experience. It's a little difficult to gauge given the poor road conditions around here. Moving to MA from a state also renown for poor road conditions, I can only say that at least in NJ, after they repave a road, the road is flat.
Oh hey. I ride the same roads you do. I don't notice it as bad where I'm not staying in lanes. My usual trip to work is from Lowell to Newton, Route 3 to 128. But I drive from Lowell to Boston 3->128/95->93 every Friday, Saturday night to go clubbing. I'm not sure of what the PSI is. I'll check tomorrow and pay attention. I came from Pirelli P6's on 18" Prestige wheels. The vibrations on the Pirellis were terrible so any improvement over that is a plus for me.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

could also be the aspect ratio. I'm still on oem rims and 17" 245/45's

I can't quite pinpoint exactly where on 93/95 it's the worst. Actually depends on which lane you're in and at what part. In general though, just took the wife's B7 A4 with Pirelli's out today and definitely much less tramlining over my entire commute.

Interestingly though, tirerack attributes tramlining to higher performance tires that provide better response.
Old 12-10-2010, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

could also be the aspect ratio. I'm still on oem rims and 17" 245/45's

I can't quite pinpoint exactly where on 93/95 it's the worst. Actually depends on which lane you're in and at what part. In general though, just took the wife's B7 A4 with Pirelli's out today and definitely much less tramlining over my entire commute.

Interestingly though, tirerack attributes tramlining to higher performance tires that provide better response.
I'm in MA and have not noticed significant tramlining with the DWS anywhere except where the road is deeply grooved just prior to a resurface. I get a bit more drift due to road crown but not very noticeable.

Two things come to mind: my 3.2 calls for 38 psi all around but I found better performance and ride at 36. Try going to the 32 psi in the front per spec and see if that helps. Also, you might have an alignment issue. A few years ago on my A6 I had the same problem and after a four wheel alignment, it was much improved. With the wonderful potholes we enjoy here, it isn't hard to have one of those throw alignment out of spec.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I'm in MA and have not noticed significant tramlining with the DWS anywhere except where the road is deeply grooved just prior to a resurface. I get a bit more drift due to road crown but not very noticeable.

Two things come to mind: my 3.2 calls for 38 psi all around but I found better performance and ride at 36. Try going to the 32 psi in the front per spec and see if that helps. Also, you might have an alignment issue. A few years ago on my A6 I had the same problem and after a four wheel alignment, it was much improved. With the wonderful potholes we enjoy here, it isn't hard to have one of those throw alignment out of spec.
pretty sure it's not not alignment since i just had it done at the dealership. As well, on a recent trip to maine, noticed different behavior on different roads due to both grooves and crowning.

I'll try lowering the psi even further. But iirc, you also have an 18" wheel package? Maybe the extra 5mm in tire profile really has an effect.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

pretty sure it's not not alignment since i just had it done at the dealership. As well, on a recent trip to maine, noticed different behavior on different roads due to both grooves and crowning.

I'll try lowering the psi even further. But iirc, you also have an 18" wheel package? Maybe the extra 5mm in tire profile really has an effect.
Yah, I've got 18" with the lower profile tires. Not sure that would make a huge difference - the tread patterns are identical and I would think that would have more impact on this. In these posts and web reviews of the DWS, there didn't seem to be a common theme of severe tramlining being reported. Perhaps other DWS owners can chime in.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

I haven't noticed significant tramlining with 18" wheels and the DWSs except on very poor roads, but I keep my tire pressure at 33/33. You may want to try reducing the tire pressure further.
Old 12-10-2010, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Will let you know how it goes. It's at times like these that I miss the real time tpms display from my old acura.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

After a quick glance through this thread, I couldn't help but notice nobody received their car with the tires my 2010 A4 with. Perhaps it was because I specially ordered my car to be a meteor gray 2.0t, 6-spd, prestige, 19" quattro sport, B&O, NAV, etc.

My 19" 7-split spoke wheels were wrapped with Pirelli P-Zero Rosso 255/35ZR19 rubber.

Oh.... and I am VERY happy with these tires. They were great replacements for the Yoko Advans which were the original tires on my Evolution IX, and definitely perform like champs on my 6 month old A4.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=Andrew A4;24074626] After a quick glance through this thread, I couldn't help but notice nobody received their car with the tires my 2010 A4 with. Perhaps it was because I specially ordered my car to be a meteor gray 2.0t, 6-spd, prestige, 19" quattro sport, B&O, NAV, etc.

My 19" 7-split spoke wheels were wrapped with Pirelli P-Zero Rosso 255/35ZR19 rubber.

Oh.... and I am VERY happy with these tires. They were great replacements for the Yoko Advans which were the original tires on my Evolution IX, and definitely perform like champs on my 6 month old A4.

[QUOTE]

I have these same tires on my 2010 S-line. I too was happy with them when I first got my car, but after only 16 months and a little more than 16,000 miles I am quite unhappy with them. By the time I reached about 10,000 miles, noise and vibration levels from these tires increased noticeably. At this point they are completely shot! I know summer tires are supposed to wear faster than all-seasons, but to only get 16,000 miles on a set of tires is very disappointing. Also, despite tire rotations at 5,000 and 15,000 miles the vibration and the pulsating 'whop-whop-whop' noise these tires generate is driving me insane. Definitely looking at the Continentals as replacements.

Last edited by ryanPA; 12-13-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Continental ExtremeContact DWS vs. Pirelli P6 tires - REVIEW