A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Continental-ExtremeContant DWS Good Investment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Continental-ExtremeContant DWS Good Investment?

I have a 2009 Audi A4. Just high speed wheel forced balanced all four tires. Dealer gave me the print out. 2 out of 4 of my tires have excessive wheel force. Im in the market for buying a new set. I live in Rochester NY. Winters here are pretty harsh. The weather changes day to day. One day it can be snowing the next its 75...its ridiculous. I read some good reviews of these tires. I respect members opinions and suggestions here. I need a all season tire thats good in wet and snow. If continentals are a good bet I would purchase them today. I read ups and downs and both sides of the story about these tires. I just need peoples experience changing there tires on there A4's and what has worked and what has not.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 248 Likes on 184 Posts
Default There are a number of comments on the B8 S4 forum

about the DWS tires.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is the tire I plan to get after my P-Zeros wear out. I need all seasons for trips to Mammoth.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Close to a snow tire. Good grip, not a sharp turn in, prone to blowouts from potholes. Have them on wife's 2007 A4 3.2. Little old school teacher. Good value but get hazard insurance. Winter/summer tires change-over is much better.

Michelin A/S sports from Costco worth a look for more money but a stronger tire.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

I'm going to replace my OEM summer tires with these in the fall. I'm planning to run them as a winter tire and then possibly switch back to the summers on another set of rims in the spring. They are supposed to be almost as good in the snow as a performance winter tire and quite a bit better in dry weather.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just got a new set of Conti Extremem Contact DWS tires a couple of months ago- best all-weather tires I've ever had. The traction is amazing. If you want balance out of your tires, these are the ones to get!
Old 08-04-2010, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

theres a video on tire rack about some test they did on this tires and they were so much better than the other 3 tires, and they were abailable when i got my wheels, i would have gotten them.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had 'em put on last November. Here in NE Ohio the temp flips all over the place in the winter. I've gone biking in January while wearing shorts (temp mid 60s) to the 'polar' opposite.

Anyhow last winter in either December or January we had one day of rain to snow & ice and the Conti's were unbelievably good. It was bad enough that some cars were simply shunting off the road into curbs, trees, ditches, whatever. My car, however, was unfazed by the climatic chaos. While I was gentle with the go and whoa pedals, the esp never needed to engage.

As for summer driving they might be 85 to 90% of a dedicated summer tire. Around here I rarely get to push it as the traffic is gnarly.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've had Continental Extreme Contacts before and they were the worst tires I've ever had... almost. The worst were Goodyear Eagle F1 M+S.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S are much better IMO. They're quieter, turn in better, and wear better.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:21 AM
equ
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by GomerPyle
I've had Continental Extreme Contacts before and they were the worst tires I've ever had... almost. The worst were Goodyear Eagle F1 M+S.
+1. Yep, in 2004 the original CEC came out to similar rave reviews/fanfare. I bought them for two cars and they sucked uniformly. I will stay away from the DWS.

Quick Reply: Continental-ExtremeContant DWS Good Investment?