A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Control Arm swap didnt solve vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 04:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control Arm swap didnt solve vibration

I have an 09 a4 sline with stock sport 19'' wheels with max perforance tires. Took to the dealer and had control arms swapped, but I still notice a vibraton at 70-75 mph. If you step on it and accelerate through this zone you bypass it, however, this is cruising speed for most and it makes the car unfun to drive with the vibration IMO. I'm getting annoyed.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I remember reading from another forum member the same experience after replacement of the new control arms and he went back to the dealer to let them reinstall everything again and the problem was solved. It seemed that the dealer installed the control arms improperly.
On a side note, I finally got approved for the control arms and waiting for installation in 2/22, hopefully this will resolve everything.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by boiler127
I have an 09 a4 sline with stock sport 19'' wheels with max perforance tires. Took to the dealer and had control arms swapped, but I still notice a vibraton at 70-75 mph. If you step on it and accelerate through this zone you bypass it, however, this is cruising speed for most and it makes the car unfun to drive with the vibration IMO. I'm getting annoyed.
There is one of three possibilities here:

You and the other very few forum members (all of which are North American) that had little or no success with control arm replacements got a lemon.

The dealership's service department improperly installed the control arms with or without doing other repairs that needed to be done (applying to you and the other very few forum members-again, all of which are North American-that had little or no success with control arm replacements).

Or, any combination of both of the above applies to you and the other very few forum members (yet again, all of which are North American) that had little or no success with control arm replacements.

Otherwise, why else would my buddies at Consumer Reports, True Delta and now, JD Power and Associates would rate the current A4 (and 2005.5 to 2008), A5/S5 and Q5 so highly in dependability, durability, quality, reliability, satisfaction and service. Think ultra hard about that, There is one of three possibilities here:

You and the other very few forum members (all of which are North American) that had little or no success with control arm replacements got a lemon.

The dealership's service department improperly installed the control arms with or without doing other repairs that needed to be done (applying to you and the other very few forum members-again, all of which are North American-that had little or no success with control arm replacements).

Or, any combination of both of the above applies to you and the other very few forum members (yet again, all of which are North American) that had little or no success with control arm replacements.

Otherwise, my buddies at Consumer Reports, True Delta and now, JD Power and Associates would not rate the current A4 and A5/S5 so highly in dependability, durability, quality, reliability, satisfaction and service. You absolutely should think ultra hard about everything in this paragraph of this reply message, boiler127.

Worldwide, vehicle owners that are forum members make up for the following: less than 1% of vehicle owners in general and, in particular, less than 1% of vehicle owners that reply to surveys.

Worldwide, vehicle owners that are NOT forum members make up for the following: more than 99% of vehicle owners in general and, in particular, more than 99% of vehicle owners that reply to surveys.

Last edited by Audi S5 TC; 02-14-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the control arms fitted correctly, that probably just leaves balance of wheels. It may be possible that you've got a defective tire (the dealer should have picked that up by now)...

John.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default What year did Audi start using the new control arms?

We have a 2010 and I can feel vibration at 62-65 mph, however i believe this is due to our aftermarket wheels fitted with snow tires.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by waizone
We have a 2010 and I can feel vibration at 62-65 mph, however i believe this is due to our aftermarket wheels fitted with snow tires.
Some early 2010's apparently had the older arms. Your dealer can check by your VIN.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The control arm swap fixed my vibration problem.

Trending Topics

Old 02-14-2010, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts
Default control arm change

Originally Posted by boiler127
my '09 s-line had the 60-65mph vibration. livermore audi checked my tires and replaced one of them. the vibration was gone. later, they replaced the control arms and there is no vibration. my impression is that with the old arms, the tires need to be perfect. now that they have replaced the arms, i don't have to worry about the issue. by the way, do you have pirelli tires? they're the worst.
don c.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good advice, i will check the VIN to confirm which control arms are on the car. Once I get the OEM wheels/tires back on the car I'll see if there is any noticable vibe. The car came with the dredded Pirelli's, but don't think their is much we can do about it.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Hobbes
The control arm swap fixed my vibration problem.
Which tires do you have? I spoke with the dealer today and we are going to try 3 more things:

1) check ride height of the coilovers to make sure there isnt a difference in height for any of the wheels

2) remove the 5mm H&R spacers that are on the rear wheels only

3) If 1 or 2 don't help, I might consider changing the 19'' max performance continental tires with michelin all-season. From what I've been hearing these cars are very sensitive to any changes to the dynamic of the suspension. It might not also help that I'm using max performance tires in 30 degree weather. I know it's stupid, but didnt have the money this year to buy tires.

Quick Reply: Control Arm swap didnt solve vibration