A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

decision: A4 (B8) vs BMW 328 E90, why is this so hard??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default decision: A4 (B8) vs BMW 328 E90, why is this so hard??

I basically cannot decide bt an Audi A4 (2013, premium plus trim) vs a 2011 BMW 328i xdrive (E90). manual trans on both. turbo charged vs NA engines, handling characteristics, and styling differences in and outside the car. has anyone else had this debate and what did you choose and any final thoughts?
Old 01-05-2015, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Its hard because they are both great choices!!
IM biased as hell.

I own a 2007 E92 328i(coupe, sport package, 6mT) non x-drive and an 2010 A4 pp+avant auto. I have driven both your variants at one time or another.

I prefer the BMW engine in manual but not for Auto. Its smooth, good torque and very durable. In 6mt this car has a wonderful balance to it!! 335 was faster but was missing a certain dynamic. BMW turbo's at the time were problematic and I don't require 0-60 in 4.5 sec. Im a grown up.
X-drive does not come with a sport package and it sits higher than non x-drive and a bit heavier. I have non idrive dash, brown/black interior and poplar wood trim. This car has an old school vibe to it and I love the fit and finish of the car.

Our 2010 a4 Avant (soon to be traded for 2015 all road next week) is my wifes car. While an automatic it is more pedestrian with 17inch wheels and we are just fine with its softer ride as we don't want two "Sport" cars in the family. The fit and finish on the audi is wonderful and the interior is more modern and fresh. BMW E-90 came in 2006 while B8 A4 in 2009. I prefer the BMW inline 6 better but performance is about equal with the Audi having better MPG of course.

All things being equal (your question wasn't it???). Your talking sedans right? I'd go with the audi if the price and Odometer readings were the same or within your budget. The a4 and its quattro seems like a more together package. Its bigger, more modern interior package, fit and finish about the same but Audi has that special ergonomic thing going.

My car is the coupe which is lower to the ground and in sport suspension gives it an entirly different feel than an x-sedan. Not saying "better", just differnt. Very sport which some might not like. This is a car I prefer to not trade up on. I like to turn my cars over every three years but just flat out enjoy this car and at 70k is tight and been a joy to own!!! No problems other than mantentence!!

Understanding both having had loaners to give my recommendation some cred for both brands given your choice put forth I'd go Audi by a slim margin.

Positives:

Audi
1. More contempary style inside and out
2. Larger size
3. Better MPG

BMW:
1. inline 6 butter
2. World class shifter

Maybe let us know what the BMW package consists of? both cars price? Odometer reading? Clean car faxes? Color? Stereo upgrade?

If the BMW was a better value with a prefered equip package, it might make a difference.

Last edited by Nalod; 01-05-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Nalod
Its hard because they are both great choices!!
IM biased as hell.

I own a 2007 E92 328i(coupe, sport package, 6mT) non x-drive and an 2010 A4 pp+avant auto. I have driven both your variants at one time or another.

I prefer the BMW engine in manual but not for Auto. Its smooth, good torque and very durable. In 6mt this car has a wonderful balance to it!! 335 was faster but was missing a certain dynamic. BMW turbo's at the time were problematic and I don't require 0-60 in 4.5 sec. Im a grown up.
X-drive does not come with a sport package and it sits higher than non x-drive and a bit heavier. I have non idrive dash, brown/black interior and poplar wood trim. This car has an old school vibe to it and I love the fit and finish of the car.

Our 2010 a4 Avant (soon to be traded for 2015 all road next week) is my wifes car. While an automatic it is more pedestrian with 17inch wheels and we are just fine with its softer ride as we don't want two "Sport" cars in the family. The fit and finish on the audi is wonderful and the interior is more modern and fresh. BMW E-90 came in 2006 while B8 A4 in 2009. I prefer the BMW inline 6 better but performance is about equal with the Audi having better MPG of course.

All things being equal (your question wasn't it???). Your talking sedans right? I'd go with the audi if the price and Odometer readings were the same or within your budget. The a4 and its quattro seems like a more together package. Its bigger, more modern interior package, fit and finish about the same but Audi has that special ergonomic thing going.

My car is the coupe which is lower to the ground and in sport suspension gives it an entirly different feel than an x-sedan. Not saying "better", just differnt. Very sport which some might not like. This is a car I prefer to not trade up on. I like to turn my cars over every three years but just flat out enjoy this car and at 70k is tight and been a joy to own!!! No problems other than mantentence!!

Understanding both having had loaners to give my recommendation some cred for both brands given your choice put forth I'd go Audi by a slim margin.

Positives:

Audi
1. More contempary style inside and out
2. Larger size
3. Better MPG

BMW:
1. inline 6 butter
2. World class shifter

Maybe let us know what the BMW package consists of? both cars price? Odometer reading? Clean car faxes? Color? Stereo upgrade?

If the BMW was a better value with a prefered equip package, it might make a difference.
the Audi is 2013 model A4 2.0T quattro (with facelift, i love it). 25.5k miles asking is $28.9k. it has the premium plus package

BMW 328i xdrive is 2011 with 43k miles for $21.8k. it has an upgraded sound system from harmon kardon.

other factor is the color. both have oyster white leather, but Audi is metallic grey, BMW has deep seas blue which i prefer over the grey. and we all know blue cars are faster than grey ones.

with the BMW being older and cheaper, i would lose less on depreciation. but i do love the looks and interior on the audi. good problems to have i guess

reliability i would think is comprable between the two, with audi being onthe upswing (per Consumer Reports)
Old 01-05-2015, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by joeshmo
I basically cannot decide bt an Audi A4 (2013, premium plus trim) vs a 2011 BMW 328i xdrive (E90). manual trans on both. turbo charged vs NA engines, handling characteristics, and styling differences in and outside the car. has anyone else had this debate and what did you choose and any final thoughts?
Nalod gave a very good reply.

I've owned BMW's continuously since 1996, and I've done 99% of the work on them.

I'd encourage you to compare apples with apples - compare the 2013 A4 with a 2013 328i (F30). The E90, though a great car, has become dated. The F31 has contemporary styling, a better ride, a more powerful and more fuel efficient engine (than the A4 and the E90 328i), and is bigger than the E90 (in a good way).

Although all but one of my BMW's have been manual transmission, as is my current Porsche, I'd encourage you to try an F30 8 speed auto with paddle shifters. It's a terrific transmission, as is the Audi's, but the BMW's is better programmed. The F30 is quicker than the A4, has better fuel economy, handles better and has as good a ride (particularly if you stay away from large wheels).

A few months ago, I bought a 2014 Allroad P+ (with B&O, sport package, keyless, and side-assist), and like it a lot. In my view, it's a superior wagon to the BNW 328i touring.

But, as for the sedans (which, after all, is what you're looking at), the F30 gets the nod from me (and many auto journalists).
Old 01-05-2015, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by roger_1
Nalod gave a very good reply.

I've owned BMW's continuously since 1996, and I've done 99% of the work on them.

I'd encourage you to compare apples with apples - compare the 2013 A4 with a 2013 328i (F30). The E90, though a great car, has become dated. The F31 has contemporary styling, a better ride, a more powerful and more fuel efficient engine (than the A4 and the E90 328i), and is bigger than the E90 (in a good way).

Although all but one of my BMW's have been manual transmission, as is my current Porsche, I'd encourage you to try an F30 8 speed auto with paddle shifters. It's a terrific transmission, as is the Audi's, but the BMW's is better programmed. The F30 is quicker than the A4, has better fuel economy, handles better and has as good a ride (particularly if you stay away from large wheels).

A few months ago, I bought a 2014 Allroad P+ (with B&O, sport package, keyless, and side-assist), and like it a lot. In my view, it's a superior wagon to the BNW 328i touring.

But, as for the sedans (which, after all, is what you're looking at), the F30 gets the nod from me (and many auto journalists).
Good post and mostly in agreement. I went to test an new 428i "Coupe" and naturally nobody does MT6 in stock and its a great car but there is the "for the money" variable. I only drive about 7k miles now on my 328i a year. New a comparable 428 costs 48k and they only want to give me like 14k on a trade! My accountant who drives a 650 sedan was there and was like "Damn, I'll give you 15 for it!!!". I said "you don't need a car do you"? He replied "don't need one if I can get that from you at 15k!!!". I asked myself "Its paid for, and your happy as hell, just enjoy it!!!" Im not gonna be happier spending another 32k!!! My wife who came back with me thought I was nuts and basically was not impressed with the new one.

Thats my tale.

I have no argument that the newsF30 is a better car then the E9x series as it is better then the B8 A4. Next year one would expect the new A4 to exceed the BMW????

Maybe the question is now " can the OP get a better F30 for $28.5k then the B8 A4??? And get one in Manual!!!!
Old 01-06-2015, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good post and mostly in agreement.

[snip]

Maybe the question is now " can the OP get a better F30 for $28.5k then the B8 A4??? And get one in Manual!!!!
Yes, that's the better question, though as I mentioned above, while I'm a big fan of manual transmissions, the BMW 8 speed auto with paddle-shifters is outstanding, and will find a MUCH broader market on re-sale.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by roger_1
Yes, that's the better question, though as I mentioned above, while I'm a big fan of manual transmissions, the BMW 8 speed auto with paddle-shifters is outstanding, and will find a MUCH broader market on re-sale.
Roger, while DSC tranny's can be fun, I don't get why "tiptronics" or manual modes are that popular with transmisisons that have torque converters. The paddles are just buttons. On any of my wifes cars, especially the Audi I only use the modes when driving switchbacks up and down mountains or in snow. Using sport mode for agressive moments is far more gradifying.

There is no substitute for using a clutch and transfering the torque between two pedals. DAC in auto (only driven 06' M3 was clumsy) but I take it new versions are better. In super cars and F1 speed is the priority over grace.

No doubt automatics do better in resale but the OP got two MT's on his list so thats what he wants and Im gonna go with that as his choice.

Nothing wrong with test driving all the above.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Roger, while DSC tranny's can be fun, I don't get why "tiptronics" or manual modes are that popular with transmisisons that have torque converters. The paddles are just buttons. On any of my wifes cars, especially the Audi I only use the modes when driving switchbacks up and down mountains or in snow. Using sport mode for agressive moments is far more gradifying.

There is no substitute for using a clutch and transfering the torque between two pedals. DAC in auto (only driven 06' M3 was clumsy) but I take it new versions are better. In super cars and F1 speed is the priority over grace.

No doubt automatics do better in resale but the OP got two MT's on his list so thats what he wants and Im gonna go with that as his choice.

Nothing wrong with test driving all the above.
There's been lots written about the virtues of a manual clutch and shifter, the newest automatics, and left-foot-free manuals like Porsche's PDK.

OP sought some feedback, so I invited him to consider tweaking his search horizon. Of course, ultimately it's he who will make the decision. Like you, I enjoy a full manual - the presence of a foot-operated clutch in my Porsche wasn't an accident.

Speaking of OP, has he left us?
Old 01-06-2015, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hopefully he is driving something new to him with a smile on his face!!!
Old 01-06-2015, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

still here, just taking in all the information. i hate to say it, but i will probably take which ever car i get the best deal on. i think both cars handle well and look beautiful. i will stick with manual. my first car was manual and i really miss the feeling of shifting myself. if i dont like the car after a few years i can always try the other. in reality i will perseverate over this decision for another few months, driving myself crazy.

Quick Reply: decision: A4 (B8) vs BMW 328 E90, why is this so hard??