A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Driving brand new 2012 A4 from NYC to Boise - break in?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving brand new 2012 A4 from NYC to Boise - break in?

I'm on the verge of buying my first Audi, and I'm pretty excited about it. I found a great deal on a brand new 2012 premium plus A4, it has 42 miles on it.

My challenge is that I'm moving cross country to Boise from New York August 3rd, and even if I bought it today I don't have time to put much mileage on it.

Would I need to take backroads to whole way, going from 30-75 miles per hour? Would changing speed from 50-80mph on the interstate be enough variation? It's just over a 2,000 mile trip and I'd like to make the trip as quickly as possible.

I'd appreciate any input.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

As much as the back roads might be a nicer drive, the interstate will be ok on your way back.

The key isn't to vary the vehicle speed, but to make sure the engine RPM varies a bit. Not sure if you are getting a 6 spd manual or 8 speed auto. Either way, just keep changing the gear you are in so that you are cranking away a few 100 miles at a time at exactly 1,600 rpm (as an example)

if you can, I'd try to stay off of the cruise control. If you are worried about speed traps, the car has a speed alert you can set up (ie for 65 mph) in case you drift a little higher than you would like to be.

Enjoy the ride!

Originally Posted by glowder
I'm on the verge of buying my first Audi, and I'm pretty excited about it. I found a great deal on a brand new 2012 premium plus A4, it has 42 miles on it.

My challenge is that I'm moving cross country to Boise from New York August 3rd, and even if I bought it today I don't have time to put much mileage on it.

Would I need to take backroads to whole way, going from 30-75 miles per hour? Would changing speed from 50-80mph on the interstate be enough variation? It's just over a 2,000 mile trip and I'd like to make the trip as quickly as possible.

I'd appreciate any input.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Varying RPMs and avoiding full throttle acceleration for 500 miles is Audi's recommendation for break in. (Others may disagree but I'm a believer that Audi ought to know best on how to break in their cars; I've followed the manuals' instructions for break in with 4 Audis since 2001 and none of them have used excessive oil or had engine problems in over a total of 300K miles).

So, I would say to stay off the interstates as much as possible for the first leg then you'll be ok to get on the highways for the balance of the trip. Do NOT use cruise control for the first 500 miles.

Some bonus advice: I'm assuming you will have a full load since you're moving. If so, set your tire pressures to the max load PSIs as noted on the door label. When you get to your destination and unload, reset the PSIs to the manual's recommended normal load PSIs and tweak up from there as desired to find a good compromise between handling and comfort.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NightA4
As much as the back roads might be a nicer drive, the interstate will be ok on your way back.
I'm assuming since he's moving to Idaho, this will be a one way trip and 500 miles for break in will be sufficient.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have a dilemma to consider. You need the factory fill oil in the sump during the first 5000 miles. The engineers rely on the particles shaved off during first run to finish machining the engine. The oil has a one year life span once it is exposed to the products of combustion.

I don't know what advice to give, change the oil now and risk having the engine never seal up, or leaving it alone but depletion of the additive package might cause other premature wear problems.

I would call Blackstone Labs and ask their advice. You could pay them for an oil analysis test, and that would tell you how much of the additive package is left. There might be enough to mke it safely to 5000 miles.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Moviela
You have a dilemma to consider. You need the factory fill oil in the sump during the first 5000 miles. The engineers rely on the particles shaved off during first run to finish machining the engine. The oil has a one year life span once it is exposed to the products of combustion.

I don't know what advice to give, change the oil now and risk having the engine never seal up, or leaving it alone but depletion of the additive package might cause other premature wear problems.

I would call Blackstone Labs and ask their advice. You could pay them for an oil analysis test, and that would tell you how much of the additive package is left. There might be enough to mke it safely to 5000 miles.
Thank you so much for the input. I was afraid that I might not be able to buy the car because of the circumstances and break in requirements. Now I realize I misunderstood the requirements and varying the RPMs will be easy to do, even on the interstate.

This last bit of advice about the oil is not quite clear to me. Do I need to change the oil before the first 5000 miles? And what would I be asking black stone labs about the oil? Thanks
Old 07-22-2013, 06:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't see where the issue is - The factory oil fill is good for 5k Mi. He is planning a 2k MI trip - glowder will still have 3k Mi of oil life.

One thing though is to bring or buy a spare Qt of approved oil for the trip, My 2012 used a Qt total in the first 5k mi or so and then hasn't consumed since.

Just a good idea as it can be tricky to find the right oil at all highway gas stations.

Originally Posted by Moviela

Old 07-22-2013, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by NightA4
I don't see where the issue is - The factory oil fill is good for 5k Mi. He is planning a 2k MI trip - glowder will still have 3k Mi of oil life..
Since the 2012 demo the OP is considering is at least one year old, Moviela is referring to the 12 month expected life of the oil, not the mileage which is very low. It is something to consider.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Since the 2012 demo the OP is considering is at least one year old, Moviela is referring to the 12 month expected life of the oil, not the mileage which is very low. It is something to consider.
What if I just have the oil changed now, here in NYC before I drive cross country?
Old 07-22-2013, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by glowder
What if I just have the oil changed now, here in NYC before I drive cross country?
I don't know why you couldn't do that for the break in and again at the 5000 mile service. In fact, that would make the most sense as it refreshes the old oil yet would be changed again after the engine has been fully broken in. You could request that as a condition of purchase.

One thing to be aware of though. The 5000 mile service is free but I believe it states 5000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. If they do it now, that might be considered the free service and you would have to pay for the oil change at 5000 miles on your own. (about $100). See what they say - it's not a lot of money. You should be able to get it covered one way or the other through negotiation.

Quick Reply: Driving brand new 2012 A4 from NYC to Boise - break in?