A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

ECS Tuning dipstick questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never once removed the dipstick from my car. The dealer even put it in before I picked up the car. Incidentally everyone got the part number from my original purchase.

Yes I openly take the blame for the dipstick revolution.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY'ers

Originally Posted by Turbo Freak
I have my oil changed by my mechanic in between dealer maintenance done once a year. Without a dipstick, the electronic gauge takes forever to show the oil level when you replace it. A dipstick makes things a lot easier and does not force you to go to the dealer.

I just bought the dipstick at the dealer about a month ago and it shows that my mechanic probably put a little too much oil as it shows the oil an hair over the MAX line, but the electronic gauge does not complain about too much oil, so it must be within acceptable limits. If I would have had the dipstick at the time of the oil change, it might have been better.

I left the dipstick in the engine and I do not see why it would be an issue...
It tags you as a do it yourselfer, which Audi believes is far outside their target market. Its a luxury car and you are supposed to use their dealer network as your trusted ground crew and pay to do so.

I find the dealers in New England to be somewhat less than "crew=chief" competent or caring.

And I LIKE to go out and inspect my car twice a month on Saturday mornings.
Old 04-09-2011, 03:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=A4Driver;24117814]I see posts from ECS here all the time; why are they being so quiet now? I was hoping they could answer my original two questions.

Meanwhile, I hate to be so distrusting, but how else will you know that the dealership changed your oil unless you can at least see the condition of it? Dealerships know that without a dipstick, people can't see their oil ... unless, of course, you want to siphon it or drain it out.

Also, like others have pointed out, I don't want to wait for the whims of an electronic system to tell me when I can and cannot check my oil. With a dipstick, I can easily check it instantly, at any time.
After having 6 AUDIS,it was somewhat scary to hit the MMI and see the Oil reading near Min.WOW! Scary.
So I immediately added a quart.Now Iam waiting for the computer to reset and give me a reading .Is their something that Iam doing wrong? Please let me know.Thanks
Old 04-09-2011, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete@ECSTuning
It will not hurt anything keeping it in the engine.
I've found the dipstick tends to rub on the acoustic insulation on the hood. Looks like it might rub a hole eventually, so I leave mine out.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:17 PM
jfo
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by need_TQM
I've found the dipstick tends to rub on the acoustic insulation on the hood. Looks like it might rub a hole eventually, so I leave mine out.
I also noticed this. I wasn't overly concerned about the small abrasion to the liner, but there may also be undue pressure on the dipstick as the engine moves around on it's mounts during acceleration, etc. It's hard to tell if it's just rubbing the liner or pushing against the hood. I just cut off the top half of the orange ring to provide room. It's still easy to remove it with 1/2 of the ring.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by need_TQM
How long does the MMI take to reset oil level?added 1 qt. and show no oil read.