A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Electric coolant pump recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electric coolant pump recall

Hi - new member here.

i have owned Audi’s since 1990, but only have a limited mechanical knowledge. My 2013 A4 developed a coolant leak on the drivers side fairly low on the engine. At the same time, I heard about the electric coolant pump recall, which I understand is not the main cooling pump. I called the dealer who told me the recalled pump could not be leaking as it does not see coolant. If this is true, why the hell do they call it a pump?

if the recalled pump is in fact a different pump from my leaker, could someone please tell me what it is and what it does, please?

i am loosing coolant at about half a liter a day, so I need to do something pretty quick.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like your conventional water pump is leaking. Usually drips down off the oil pan. Take it to an indy guy to replace it or DIY.

Google is you friend. https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...nt-Pump-Recall
Old 05-31-2018, 03:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for the reply. I did take it to an independent mechanic who I trust and he called it the auxiliary water pump. Located driver side of engine. Very hard to see. He has replaced them before
Old 05-31-2018, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Louis Asali
Thank you for the reply. I did take it to an independent mechanic who I trust and he called it the auxiliary water pump. Located driver side of engine. Very hard to see. He has replaced them before
If you get it replaced then save the receipt. There is a recall on the auxiliary water pump coming out in the next few months. They should be mailing out notifications sometime soon. If you get it replaced on your own then Audi should reimburse you for it.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you very much. I called my Dealer who told me it was impossible that the leaking pump was covered by the recall, as the recalled pump didn’t circulate coolant. I thought that not true, or else they wouldn’t call it a pump, would they???

i am having it replaced by an independent next week for $500 - 220 part, three hours labor. And I sure will save the receipt, and make the Dealer replace it again in a few months!
Old 05-31-2018, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,586 Posts

The info from the recall says the final replacement part won't be around till end of year. Is your VIN subject to the recall? If so, leak or not, you should have the recall do the intermediary replacement and see if the leak persists after. Obviously, the dealership doesn't know what they are talking about, as the recall is specifically about the aux pump getting clogged with coolant debris. $500 is not bad, but why be out $500 if AoA will pay for it.
Old 05-31-2018, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you - I tried calling AoA who were decidedly unhelpful and said the dealer had the details. I am in southern Maine so alternative dealers are few.

I may may try a face to face with the dealer again and ask for something in writing.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you - I tried calling AoA who were decidedly unhelpful and said the dealer had the details. I am in southern Maine so alternative dealers are few.

I may may try a face to face with the dealer again and ask for something in writing.
When you say local dealer I assume you mean Morong. They are awful and will likely not be much help. I do know a great indy guy in Portland if you need one. He obviously cannot do recalls though.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes, Morong. I have a local guy that has worked on several previous Audis that diagnosed the problem and will be fixing it this week. I will then submit the bill to AoA when I get the recall letter.

I use Morong only for scheduled service to ensure I get all the under the radar fixes.

When Audi was less popular 10 - 20 years ago, Morong was more helpful because they were trying to build the brand. Now that is mainstream, they don’t give a ****. When I started leaking coolant, they said it would be a week until they could even look at it. My independent had it on the lift 10 minutes after I arrived.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, Morong. I have a local guy that has worked on several previous Audis that diagnosed the problem and will be fixing it this week. I will then submit the bill to AoA when I get the recall letter.

I use Morong only for scheduled service to ensure I get all the under the radar fixes.

When Audi was less popular 10 - 20 years ago, Morong was more helpful because they were trying to build the brand. Now that is mainstream, they don’t give a ****. When I started leaking coolant, they said it would be a week until they could even look at it. My independent had it on the lift 10 minutes after I arrived.
Is you Indy guy named Ted?

Quick Reply: Electric coolant pump recall