A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Engine speed maximum RPM With EPC?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine speed maximum RPM With EPC?!?!?

So I got the following warning light twice this week. Audi says it is: "Engine speed maximum XXXX RPM. The engine speed is automatically limited to the speed displayed in the instrument cluster. The engine speed limitation deactivates once the engine is not in the critical temperature range and you have released the accelerator pedal once."
However, the engine temp is fine according to all the gauges. It also turns on the EPC light. Anyone have any input on this warning? It goes away after shutting the car off and turning back on.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,586 Posts

EPC is electronic power control. You're in "limp mode". You really need to do a scan and get some actual details. Preferably, with an Audi aware tool like VCDS rather than a generic OBD scanner such as at AutoZone (but that free scan at AutoZone will still give you far more information than where you're at now). If it thinks the engine is overheating, that's going to come from the oil and coolant temp sensors. So is one high and the other not? Are both high? If both are high, then maybe a problem with the coolant pump or the thermostat. You just lack any details of the DTC to speculate at this point.
Old 09-15-2023, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just had this issue come up on my 2015 Q7.

I just had this exact scenario happen on my 2015 Q7 it happened while accelerating. It stayed on until I got to work. The car sat all day for 8 hours. When I left work the lights were no longer there. I called to make an appointment as soon as it happened with Audi. This happened on a Saturday, I took the car in that Wednesday morning. They have had the car since, I got a walkaround video talking about a check engine light. Their recommendation is to get an EFI service performed. I need help as the car seems to be running fine.
we did have the same issue about 4 weeks ago and they said they replaced the oil pressure sensor. Yet here we are with the same issue again. What can I do? Help?
Old 09-15-2023, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,586 Posts

An MY15 Q7 is going to have a 3.0T, not a 2.0T. Or going to have a 3.0 TDI, which is quite different. But if you don't have a scan tool like VCDS, you can't troubleshoot anything regarding the electronic management of the engine. You need actual codes to start from, best case. And you need to be able to scan the codes when the issue is present. Lot of EPC stuff resets each engine off. I have no idea if an "EFI" is a common consideration for the 3.0T. VCDS does need a laptop to run. I have no problem having one with me when I'm working an issue. But you might find something like OBDeleven or Carista more applicable if you need a tool that runs on mobile devices.