A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Excessive oil consumption on a 2012 model

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Excessive oil consumption on a 2012 model

At the risk of repeating what has already been said, I wanted to ask if anyone had experience with Audi addressing the issue with a 2012 A4? I know that the class action only covered vehicles through 2011, and now has expired. I spoke to them today, and found them to be very reluctant to say anything before the oil consumption test is done. They did mention that the early 2012 models were affected by this problem, however. I know the car will fail the test, so can anyone advise as to what may be the next step on Audi's part? Should I even bother, and just trade the thing in, skipping the aggravation & cost (around $200-300)? Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
gsgian06 (11-07-2019)
Old 03-06-2017, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

i called AoA to find out if my car is part of the class action and it was.
Called local dealer and made appointment to bring the car in for oil consumption test 0$
Drove car till oil light came on 600 miles.
Called dealer and brought the car in.
Dealer checked the car and verified the oil consumption filled oil 0$
Made appointment to get the pistons, rings replaced and get a loaner.
Dropped the car off got loaner.
3 days later got call all done.
Picked up car from dealer 0$
No oil consumption for 3k mile after that still shows full oil
Old 03-06-2017, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Euconect
Called local dealer and made appointment to bring the car in for oil consumption test 0$
Was your vehicle a 2009-2011 model (which would have been part of the class action)? As per my original post, my A4 is 2012. When did you go through this process - just recently, or before the end of claims date sometime in June of 2016? My conversation with AoA was basically we can't tell you what we can do for you until you have the oil consumption test done. But since it's past the claim date, you're on your own for the test. Not as simple in my case as it seems to have been in yours.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also curious when yours was done.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:17 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Our 2012 Q5 just failed the oil consumption test

The dealer recommended piston replacement... just like all the previous model years subject to the lawsuit. We are burning 1.13 quarts every thousand miles. The cost of rthe epair is $6,000.00. The regional network is willing to cover $2K for parts, but no labor. I'm so pissed off. I am still arguing with the regional rep, and as far as I know, Audi Corporate has nothing to say about it. We just finished paying $1,000.00 to replace the A/C blower motor and resistor. This car is turning out to be junk - exactly what I was leery about when we bought the car. I'm trying to find out how many other 2012 owners are having oil consumption problems.

We're going back to Infinitis again after this. I've had two G's 5 to 8 years each, and the worst thing that happened to either them was a wheel bearing failure.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by skysis
At the risk of repeating what has already been said, I wanted to ask if anyone had experience with Audi addressing the issue with a 2012 A4? I know that the class action only covered vehicles through 2011, and now has expired. I spoke to them today, and found them to be very reluctant to say anything before the oil consumption test is done. They did mention that the early 2012 models were affected by this problem, however. I know the car will fail the test, so can anyone advise as to what may be the next step on Audi's part? Should I even bother, and just trade the thing in, skipping the aggravation & cost (around $200-300)? Thanks.
Can you tell us the year and model of your car? I have a 2012 q5 and having same issues. 😩
Old 05-20-2017, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by skysis
Can you tell us the year and model of your car? I have a 2012 q5 and having same issues. 😩
Old 05-22-2017, 05:18 PM
HHM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Audi A4 2012 excessive oil consumption. Dealer did the oil consumption test and piston and rings need to be replaced. Already spent over $1K on new breather crankshaft repairs etc. Did anyone get AoA to pay for new piston and rings? Its a $6K repair that I am unwilling to pay because it should not be doing this crap for such an expensive car.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Puchased new 2011 Q7 3.0T. Started to notice low engine oil light is on too often when reached 75,000 miles. Took it to Dealer, they confirmed that it is Excessive oil consumption. Dealer reached out to AoA and my car was Denied for fix as it is out of warranty. I have Extended warranty (Fidelity) and they won't cover it neither as it is not mechanical Breakdown. I had numeous email back and forth with AoA,, and Still denied.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

I have a late built 2012 Avant - arrived US in Feb 2012.
Each year I bring my car in for an oil change and check the digital read out first.
Always shows that I have a full oil reservoir. No excessive use.
Change due next week - shows full.
I don't put a lot of miles on it. 8,000 last 12 months; 47,000 in 5 years

Quick Reply: Excessive oil consumption on a 2012 model