A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Help 2011/2013 A4 Timing Problem!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help 2011/2013 A4 Timing Problem!

Hi, first time poster.
So to start off i have a 2011 A4 with a Stage 2 APR tune. About a year ago the piston rings went and blew the engine. I found a reasonabaly priced replacement engine from a 2013 Q5 2.0 TFSI engine with under 100k on it and swapped that in. Everything ran great and had no problems. About a month ago on my way home from work i got a check engine light and the car started misfiring. I pulled over and scanned the car and got a P0016 code, a P0301, and P0303 codes. Knowing how scary the P0016 code can be, I got the car towed home thinking of the worst. I took apart the engine to replace the timing chain and tensioners, figuring that was what casued the P0016 code. The chain had streched but not jumped any teeth so i replaced it as well as tensioner, and re-set all the timing. When i put it back together the P0016 code temporaraly disappeared but the misfire on cylinder 1 and 3 were still there. I got new injectors, did hardcore carbon cleaning, checked all valves for damage, got a new PCV and nothing changed the car was still misfiring and giving off P0301 and P0303 codes. Then the P0016 code resurfaced. Thinking the timing could still be the issue i changed both the Cam and Crank sensors. Still got the same misfire codes and the P0016! So i took the engine apart again to double check, and the timing is bang on! but still getting the P0016 code. I checked the Camshaft Adjuster Valve and it was working perfectly, as well as its solenoid. I'm out of options and dont know what else to check. Wiring? CPU? What? Any help would be greatly apprecaiated.

Attached are pcitures of my timing

Timing chain linning up with crank shaft.

measures roughly 62mm

measures roughly 125mm
Old 06-18-2019, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Sounds like the same problem I'm currently facing with my 2013 A4 so I'll be curious to know if you find the solution. On my car I replaced the chain, tensioner, and guides and am now getting the P0016 code and haven't been able to figure out the issue. Since putting the car back together I've replaced the cam position sensor and the cam adjuster magnet as well as pulled it back apart to verify timing is still correct which it is. Did you check the screen in the cam bridge when you had the car apart? I've seen a lot of posts where people have said that screen will come apart and cause this code to appear if it gets stuck somewhere but in my case the screen was still in good shape with no missing pieces and I removed it from the cam bridge before putting the car back together.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Erich Fuchs
Sounds like the same problem I'm currently facing with my 2013 A4 so I'll be curious to know if you find the solution. On my car I replaced the chain, tensioner, and guides and am now getting the P0016 code and haven't been able to figure out the issue. Since putting the car back together I've replaced the cam position sensor and the cam adjuster magnet as well as pulled it back apart to verify timing is still correct which it is. Did you check the screen in the cam bridge when you had the car apart? I've seen a lot of posts where people have said that screen will come apart and cause this code to appear if it gets stuck somewhere but in my case the screen was still in good shape with no missing pieces and I removed it from the cam bridge before putting the car back together.
When i did the timing originally the camshaft bridge screen was intact. I took it off to prevent damage in the future.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I did see one post a few days ago where someone was saying the cam bridge itself was the issue and that after replacing it the code went away. However it seems like a long shot since the bridge is just an oil passage unless maybe one of the check valves isn't opening correctly or something. Did you verify that this valve is in good shape and that the middle of it moves in and out freely?
Old 12-18-2020, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by TBirch
Hi, first time poster.
So to start off i have a 2011 A4 with a Stage 2 APR tune. About a year ago the piston rings went and blew the engine. I found a reasonabaly priced replacement engine from a 2013 Q5 2.0 TFSI engine with under 100k on it and swapped that in. Everything ran great and had no problems. About a month ago on my way home from work i got a check engine light and the car started misfiring. I pulled over and scanned the car and got a P0016 code, a P0301, and P0303 codes. Knowing how scary the P0016 code can be, I got the car towed home thinking of the worst. I took apart the engine to replace the timing chain and tensioners, figuring that was what casued the P0016 code. The chain had streched but not jumped any teeth so i replaced it as well as tensioner, and re-set all the timing. When i put it back together the P0016 code temporaraly disappeared but the misfire on cylinder 1 and 3 were still there. I got new injectors, did hardcore carbon cleaning, checked all valves for damage, got a new PCV and nothing changed the car was still misfiring and giving off P0301 and P0303 codes. Then the P0016 code resurfaced. Thinking the timing could still be the issue i changed both the Cam and Crank sensors. Still got the same misfire codes and the P0016! So i took the engine apart again to double check, and the timing is bang on! but still getting the P0016 code. I checked the Camshaft Adjuster Valve and it was working perfectly, as well as its solenoid. I'm out of options and dont know what else to check. Wiring? CPU? What? Any help would be greatly apprecaiated.

Attached are pcitures of my timing

Timing chain linning up with crank shaft.

measures roughly 62mm

measures roughly 125mm
Hi! I just wanted to know if you did find what was the problem on your engine?
Old 12-29-2021, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Any update on this issue, I am experiencing the same problem.
Old 03-20-2022, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Any luck?

Originally Posted by jknowles
Any update on this issue, I am experiencing the same problem.
I have the P0016 error since 19k, with no chain stretch etc, has anyone had anyluck fixing it??
Old 03-20-2022, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,869 Likes on 1,588 Posts

One person's problem was the chain sprocket was not on the crank correctly.

But ever since the car had 19k miles? Why wasn't it fixed under warranty?
Old 03-21-2022, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

people need to learn how to use dial indicator gauges to verify TDC .

also not once in this thread did anyone indicate what the timing adaption of the intake cam . far too much blind shotgunning and not enough solid troubleshooting in my mind.

for example people should research the code and the test the car runs through to understand exactly what they are being told , setpoint test is a good read. Car advances and retards timing in the car to make sure it gets back to set point. if static timing is correct when verified properly it is likley in the dynamic timing.

Last edited by Airbag; 03-21-2022 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Re

Originally Posted by SMac770
One person's problem was the chain sprocket was not on the crank correctly.

But ever since the car had 19k miles? Why wasn't it fixed under warranty?
Sorry let me rephrase, it first came on at 19k and i would get it come on every now and then (in winter) until recently, now its on permanently (car is on 44k), car runs fine. Im leaning towards it may have slipped a tooth but its just odd it came and went away and the car was such low mileage

Im just going through the process of elimination at the minute, ive checked the chain elongation and all in tolerance as per this guide below. Id really like to log the raw inputs on VCDS of the camshaft(G40) and crankshaft sensors(G28)

Quick Reply: Help 2011/2013 A4 Timing Problem!