A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Help: Water leaking from sunroof + amp fried

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the regular update! Please let us know the progress of the amp repair work.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last update: Ed from Paulison Corp did a great job, the amp works as new after coding. Don't hesitate to go with Paulison Corp. Home - Paulison Corporation | Bose Amplifier Spares & Repairs, great service.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I am glad to know that all is well with your amp!
Old 06-23-2017, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

[QUOTE=marulo;24899398]Thanks a lot!! Yes. That's what I did yesterday. I took the rear wheel off and then the panel. There's no need to remove the whole panel but I wasn't sure so I did. Also, I was afraid of ripping the clips apart (see picture) but it was easy once I got a plastic flat pryer.

I used the odometer cable to run it through the drain hose. I didn't see water coming out though I wasn't paying much attention. I did notice some grease and small debris on the cable after I pulled it out. What could have happened is that the drain was never fully clogged, so water would overflow only if the rain is heavy (or if the rain is moderate and the car is parked in a hill so that all the water goes to the same drain as in my case). Anyway, I put the car back on the driveway and through a lot of water to it. Nothing came to the interior!! I'm not claiming victory yet, I will try to view or access the connector nipple before I put the trims back.

I have the same issue but on the opposite side the water i found under the fuses box on the passenger side behind the tail lights, the water is accumulating and i am planning to do exactly as per your instructions. However i really don't know how to find the fasteners holding the back end of the headliner. Can anyone help me out . Also can i clean the drain from the bottom up or i need to get access from the top. ???

thanks fro all the help what i can get
Old 07-01-2017, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,586 Posts

You removed the top plastic panel on the roof between the headliner and tailgate? (Pull it out horizontally to the back, not down or you'll break it). You should see the only clip that holds the headliner to the chassis in the middle of the back edge. But you still need to remove the A/B/C/D pillars for the headliner to freely move, though they do not hard secure it. The headliner is primarily secured by the four grab handles (use the special screwdriver) and the four mounts for the cargo net (bolt inside the plastic flap), along with the sun visors and the sunroof controls module on the front end.
Old 12-27-2018, 12:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Same problem with a leaky sunroof - UK Audi Owner

I own an Audi Avant (B8 - registered 2013) - see pictures.

I have also recently had a major problem with a leak in the same part of my vehicle. My amplifier is also fried and the entire MMI system is refusing to work. I am very pissed off!!!

What was the cause of this leak - my local Audi dealership are refusing to look at my vehicle any more!!!

Old 01-06-2019, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hello, folks. New here, but I've been lurking for a while. I have a 2009 A4 (B8) with a similar issue. That is, after some rain, I find the passenger side floorboard (front and back, but more in the front) completely soaked. A particularly bad storm had the front passenger side so full of water I could have put a goldfish in it. Anyway, I've since done the following:

1) Ran a cable through the front sunroof drains, from the top, out the exits in the door jams.
2) Cleaned the leaves out of the plenum tray and unblocked the two drains.
3) Checked the gasket/seal on the plastic box that holds the blower motor (in the plenum tray area on the passenger side).

When I cleared the sunroof drains, no stuck water or debris came out. The cable was clean and dry, so I know those were not clogged. I couldn't readily find the rear sunroof drains, but since the front were clear, I know the water could not be coming from the sunroof. The plenum tray drains were definitely both clogged. Audi's design here is astonishingly bad. How leaves can make their way in there so easily is ridiculous. Cleaning these out was tough, especially the one on the driver side. It's UNDER the brake master cylinder, so getting to it is tough already. The perfect tool to grab leaves is this $9 gizmo from Home Depot. It even has a little light on the end, which sort of helps. I'll link it below. That blower box was dusty and showed no signs of ever having gotten wet, so there's no water coming in from there.

Problem is, after all that, I'm still finding water on the floorboard after rain. Anyone have any ideas as to where the water could be coming in?

Since it's going to rain tonight, I cleaned everything out again (found a few more leaves), and it is now CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. I dried the interior. I covered the sunroof in plastic as a means to eliminate that as a possibility. We'll see how bad it is in the morning.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by motofabio
The perfect tool to grab leaves is this $9 gizmo from Home Depot. It even has a little light on the end, which sort of helps. I'll link it below.
Here's the link: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-24...396H/206264355
Old 01-07-2019, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default No dice.

Drizzled all night, woke up to this...
Old 01-07-2019, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by motofabio
Drizzled all night, woke up to this...
“This” being a puddle of water on the passenger floorboard. Picture wouldn’t attach. I did find some water coming in behind the fuse box.

Quick Reply: Help: Water leaking from sunroof + amp fried