A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

How do you all get mods past the wife?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How do you all get mods past the wife?

I don't get it. All I've wanted to do so far is the APR ECU upgrade which is $600 and it's next to impossible to convince my wife. It's also not worth doing it behind her back (although I'm sure I could ) so what's your secret?

It's not a money thing for her but just principle. She sees it all as a complete waste of money that could be used on other things. I don't really want to do any major mods such as body kits or lowering the car or even different wheels but can only imagine the drama if I wanted to!!

Her logic is hard to overcome - "What's wrong with the way it is now?"
Old 08-07-2009, 05:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't mod, but if I did it would be with "my" money. My feeling is that both spouses really should have some amount of money that is theirs alone, to be spent how they like. That way every purchase or financial decision doesn't have to be a joint agreement (or argument).

My wife and I both contribute to our common expenses, but we also each have some spending money that is totally at our individual discretion. If she wants to go to the spa or buy a handbag, she can do so without getting grief from me. If I want to buy something or mod my car I can do so as well. You need to have some ability to do things that don't require spousal approval, IMO. It has worked well for us and contributed greatly to marital harmony.

Of course, this only works if you aren't living paycheck to paycheck and barely scraping by.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Hobbes.

When the time comes for me.. I personally think I will have three accounts.. one joint savings, one joint checking, and one for personal spending..

A $600 mod to them makes as much sense as a $600 Coach purse to us..
Old 08-07-2009, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Hobbes
I don't mod, but if I did it would be with "my" money. My feeling is that both spouses really should have some amount of money that is theirs alone, to be spent how they like. That way every purchase or financial decision doesn't have to be a joint agreement (or argument).

My wife and I both contribute to our common expenses, but we also each have some spending money that is totally at our individual discretion. If she wants to go to the spa or buy a handbag, she can do so without getting grief from me. If I want to buy something or mod my car I can do so as well. You need to have some ability to do things that don't require spousal approval, IMO. It has worked well for us and contributed greatly to marital harmony.

Of course, this only works if you aren't living paycheck to paycheck and barely scraping by.
I've tried that approach with her but that turned into a nightmare so I dropped it. To her credit she is very reasonable in most cases and it's not like I can't buy or do anything without her permission. Although I agree there are benefits to having a separate spending account, I feel like having only a joint account is the most transparent and also helps keep each other in check.

I like to think we live a very comfortable life but yet we save a lot of money every month as well - probably due to me not being able to blow it all away
Old 08-07-2009, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 08-07-2009, 06:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

LOL this is a great post... I think we all can in some way resonate with these thoughts!! I am still cracking up... I have gone through this many a times.

My take on it is ... that if you cant get her to agree, wait for the opportune time... keep throwing it out there.

For her its a waste of money thing... but she needs to know how important it is for you and the pleasure you would derive from it.

Level it in her head... tell her you won't buy that extra shoe or postpone clothing purchase by a couple of months. I think she is looking for justification of this expense which she feels is useless.

Drop hints as to why would want it... heck act like a child if needed :P
Or just wait for a 'big' event ... your b'day or christmas or any other holiday that you celebrate which involves gift giving.
And make it easier for her ... tell her "if you are planning on giving me a gift, i would really hope to get the car chipped"

good luck... and great post!
Old 08-07-2009, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

LOL....I usually just keep bringing it up every once in a while until she gives in. In fact, she didn't want me to get the B8 itself for good reason. We live in an apartment building where we have to pay for parking, she already has a company car that we pay nothing for and I walk to work!!

But I've wanted an Audi A4 for years and after continuously selling her on it (with some surprising help from my family) was able to get it. So the fact that she gave in on a $40k purchase would make it seem a $600 would be easy right? No. The downside to these type of situations is she gets to hold the B8 A4 over my head for some time along with all the other big ticket items I buy.

"But I let you get the Audi right?" LOL!
Old 08-07-2009, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

i don't want to waste $650, so i need to spend $600 now with 50%+ dicount off regular price um...about $1250.. that'll make YOUR new car smoother and have higher MPG....
Old 08-07-2009, 09:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i would focus more on the anti theft system and the increased fuel economy that comes with the $600. i also like the early christmas present idea.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The chick im dating now drives a Boxter but wants to upgrade to a Carrera, so i dont foresee any issues in the future is she one day gets upgraded to Wife 1.0.
She even called me yesterday when she saw her first R8 and asked when i was getting one.

But to answer your question, i think the only way you can sell it is by using increased MPG, security feature (which may lower your insurance) and the valet mode.

If none of that works on her there is only one way

"It's easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission." - Grace Hopper

Quick Reply: How do you all get mods past the wife?