A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

How is your trip computer display set up?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How is your trip computer display set up?

When I first got the car and started reading the manual, I got lost in the trip computer settings and modes. I felt like there was a ton of unnecessary info and it all seemed very complicated. It took me a few days to get used to it. I read that section of the manual once again and I discovered a few more features such as the digital speedometer, the blown up gear info, when the trip computer 1 gets reset, etc.

It may be useful to chat about this in case people haven't had the patience to thoroughly understand it.

I've configured mine to show the digital speedometer because the dial is not very useful for its dense ticks. Most of the time I have the gas mileage of trip computer 1 on. I have turned off the gear info to reduce the clutter. I look at the other display for the clock.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gunsmoker
When I first got the car and started reading the manual, I got lost in the trip computer settings and modes. I felt like there was a ton of unnecessary info and it all seemed very complicated. It took me a few days to get used to it. I read that section of the manual once again and I discovered a few more features such as the digital speedometer, the blown up gear info, when the trip computer 1 gets reset, etc.

It may be useful to chat about this in case people haven't had the patience to thoroughly understand it.

I've configured mine to show the digital speedometer because the dial is not very useful for its dense ticks. Most of the time I have the gas mileage of trip computer 1 on. I have turned off the gear info to reduce the clutter. I look at the other display for the clock.
It's pretty straightforward once you get used to it. Trip computer 1 resets after 2 hours, trip computer 2 must be manually reset. There are instantaneous and averages for speed and mileage in both trip computers as well. The average number has the circle with the line through it.
Old 12-13-2010, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by quality_sound
It's pretty straightforward once you get used to it. Trip computer 1 resets after 2 hours, trip computer 2 must be manually reset. There are instantaneous and averages for speed and mileage in both trip computers as well. The average number has the circle with the line through it.
It's the different display modes that one needs to read the manual to realize they are there. Who would have thought that pressing and holding the reset button would not reset anything, but which between the time/date display, the digital speedometer, and the gear shift info/suggestion.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's the different display modes that one needs to read the manual to realize they are there. Who would have thought that pressing and holding the reset button would not reset anything, but which between the time/date display, the digital speedometer, and the gear shift info/suggestion.
When I press and hold the reset button it absolutely resets the info on the FIS. Weird. I use the up/down buttons on the side of the wiper stalk to change display modes.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had Audi's for the past 11 years and the B8 certainl has more info than any of those before and lots of selections per page (e.g. mpg, avg mpg, speed, avg speed, range etc).

I have a MY2010 so of course have the extra page and all the extra options for the Stop/Start Economy etc. I've also enabled the lap timer/oil temp page so I've ended up with loads of choice.... oh and of course the Nav page, the phone page (not really used) and the music page!

It's great to have choice and it depends entirely on what I'm doing and what's displayed.

It's not uncommon for me to have Instant mpg and Avg mpg display as I've been showing my wife how driving style massively affects comsumption amd then other days the digital speedo is just what's called for.

There's certainly plenty of info there if you want it.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Scotty (UK)
I've had Audi's for the past 11 years and the B8 certainl has more info than any of those before and lots of selections per page (e.g. mpg, avg mpg, speed, avg speed, range etc).
My 04.5 B5.5 Passat had all of this in both trip computer 1 and 2. Granted, I couldn't see two of them at once but none of this is new stuff in the VAG world.

I usually had mine showing outside temp, time, and avg. consumption, then the default mileage and trip mileage at the bottom.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Scotty (UK)

I have a MY2010 so of course have the extra page and all the extra options for the Stop/Start Economy etc. I've also enabled the lap timer/oil temp page so I've ended up with loads of choice.... oh and of course the Nav page, the phone page (not really used) and the music page!

It's great to have choice and it depends entirely on what I'm doing and what's displayed.

It's not uncommon for me to have Instant mpg and Avg mpg display as I've been showing my wife how driving style massively affects comsumption amd then other days the digital speedo is just what's called for.

There's certainly plenty of info there if you want it.
I don't recall seeing in the manual the lap timer, oil temp, and start/stop economy options for the US model. My recollection is that the start/stop feature is not supported in the US models.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don't recall seeing in the manual the lap timer, oil temp, and start/stop economy options for the US model. My recollection is that the start/stop feature is not supported in the US models.
You have to use a VAG-COM to enable these.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Frankly, I leave my trip computer on basic mode... showing the speed in the center, and only the "duration of trip"

showing the cruising distance, distance, fuel economy etc drive me nuts because i start adjusting my driving to make those numbers better... and then im not focused on driving and whatever im doing.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

My new 2012 A4 does not have the same buttons\rocker on the windshield wiper stalk as my 2011 Q5.

How do I switch center display to show the digital speedometer, avg mpg, etc…?

Quick Reply: How is your trip computer display set up?