A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

I flat out need assistance about buying...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I flat out need assistance about buying...

I flat out need a hand in making a decision about an A4 purchase. I have done a lot of internet searching and the difference in years, specs, purchase price, resale etc have my head spinning. If you are still reading here goes... I am seeking a 2012 to 2015 Audi A4 essentially loaded. the Tecnik package isn't a must but a nice to have. I live in Vancouver, Canada where every second car on the road is an Audi or other premium brand. The 2014's with options I want are about $36-38,000 from a dealer. The 2013's seem to be $6,000 less and the 2012's even more.

My thoughts are the 2014 would be nicer and a bit newer but taking such a huge hit over the next couple years does turn me off. Buying a 2012/13 and giving up some interior styling may make sense but now I am getting into an older car. I do have some concerns about reliability as I have been an MB/BMW owner in the past.

Any advice on what direction to head? Is it really worth buying a 14 or even 15 to get into a new model or is a 12/13 very comparable and less depreciation to come.

I realize this question may be asked in various ways often, but I am seriously turning to this forum for some help from actual drivers and not Audi rep's...

Thank you kindly,

A.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try eBay. I am not suggesting that you buy from other than a dealer.
But before I bought my A4 I found some really great deals on Audis, (sitting down), in Florida. I was going to fly down and drive one home but finally found mine locally.
Attached Thumbnails I flat out need assistance about buying...-cimg0683.jpg  
Old 03-10-2017, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

OP, get what car fits your budget and comfort zone, first and foremost. Since you're in Vancouver, I'd also recommend give Richmond Audi a try...my father bought his Q5 (3.0T) there and imho got an outstanding deal on a vehicle with full Audicare. Furthermore, they've been great with addressing any issues and concerns he's had with the vehicle.

When buying used, make sure that maintenance has been addressed and if you aren't comfortable with working on the car yourself, look into CPO or some aftermarket warranty...although I've never bought one for any of the Audi's I've owned.

Lastly, due to your proximity, I'd avoid a US car, since you'll be required to pay the exchange rate, shipping, you'll require a compliance letter from Audi, and then need to ensure the car meets CMVSS standards...all of that isn't worth it. Also, I'd personally avoid cars from FL like the plague...the DMV is VERY lax with their rules & regulations and there are horror stories of cars coming from Florida that would have SALVAGE or BRANDED titles, come with CLEAN ones...just not worth the risk, imho.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Loving my '12 A4 Avant great buy I looked and looked and looked before I bought the one I did and even then it was a pain in my *** freaking dealers, from what I know I will never ever buy a car from up north nor drive in the North during winter (I had a truck and it was a rust trap)

Personally take your time and find the car you want balancing needs with wants, I cared more about keyless entry than I did about P+, i found a nice RS4 Styled A4 here in FL, but it had been salvaged, make sure you check the CarFax I ended up with a new 2012 with 50K that hadn't been driven hard or used exuberantly like I drive lol. I love the '12 and have yet to have any issues with 52K on her now.

I admit I will be doing all my own maintenance as things arise and plan on keeping the car past when I will rebuild the engine (forging everything and adding massive boost). So I have high hopes and love the series, saying this I will be upgrading the interior on my own with custom carbon holds of the Arm rest and all accents as I move along, it takes time to carbon everything lol. Just take your time and find the right car for the right price and keep in mind the timing chain vs the timing belt which I will have to do @ 65-75K miles. It's a $300 fix on your own and 1.5-2K fix in a shop. So keep things like that in mind, otherwise the car should go till 150K up north before engine and trans overhaul is needed. (I hate salt)

My Audi is from Florida so I have to respectably disagree with raj99 Fl cars from the lower West coast will be okay, between Naples-Sarasota. Otherwise yes stay away from Fl lol
Kurt
Old 03-10-2017, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Did Raj99 say he hated Florida cars or am I mistaken. :-)
Old 03-13-2017, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just bought a 2013 a4 with only 15k miles on it, it looks brand new and paid less than 25k for it. Only issue is I expected to be ale to play music over Bluetooth from my phone and realized that wasn't standard in 2013 so look over the options carefully
Old 03-16-2017, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by rrr5454
Just bought a 2013 a4 with only 15k miles on it, it looks brand new and paid less than 25k for it. Only issue is I expected to be ale to play music over Bluetooth from my phone and realized that wasn't standard in 2013 so look over the options carefully
I ended up buying a 2014 A4 Progressive S-Line. Paid about $35K Canadian for it. 33,000 Km's.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Dolvio, that's sounds great. I hope the car does well for you. Good luck, and be safe out there! Don't hesitate to share your experiences with it.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Dolvio, that's sounds great. I hope the car does well for you. Good luck, and be safe out there! Don't hesitate to share your experiences with it.
I traded my truck and some cash back... I am actually very excited and saved about $25K over buying new. It is in 99% condition and I am happy with the packages. I will share!
Old 03-16-2017, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Have searched tirelessly... unless I am typing in the wrong thing... where can I find a 2014 A4 brochure from Canada ?