A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

ignition lock defective

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition lock defective

Hi I have an Audi A4 2010 and when i put the key in the hole (ignition) the dashboard says !Ignition lock defective call workshop! I take off the key and try pushing again in the ignition and no responde and the dashboard no turn on the lights of the dashboard any,
I try to change the battery and the same results
Please any suggestions
Old 02-07-2017, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Tried another key? Forinstance the spare (plastic) key (with the adapter).
If those work, check and clean the locking groves from dirt in the problem key.
Chances are that the car already told you what to do
Old 02-08-2017, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by audi8k
Tried another key? Forinstance the spare (plastic) key (with the adapter).
If those work, check and clean the locking groves from dirt in the problem key.
Chances are that the car already told you what to do
Yes I try with the original key and the fob key too
same results nothing
Old 03-29-2017, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hey guys- this same issue happened to me recently.Note: I have push-start button also. I had an issue removimg the Fob from ignition hole; then car won't start. then after car started--it wont turn off--YIKES. To turn it off my indie tech suggested, i press and hold the fob in for 30sec to 1 min. That did turn it off. Next day, I got the "defective ign lock; call workshop" msg on dash. CAR WOULD NOT Start at all. Had it flatbed to my indie mechanic, and he diag it as defective ignition switch. Faily cheap part but more involved to replace. took him about 2-3 days from time to get OEM part to install. Will be picking up car tomorrow; will report how it works.
No idea why it suddenly failed; I've had no related issues with my ignition system. Also car only have 60K miles....SIGH
Old 07-12-2017, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by GT854T5
Hey guys- this same issue happened to me recently.Note: I have push-start button also. I had an issue removimg the Fob from ignition hole; then car won't start. then after car started--it wont turn off--YIKES. To turn it off my indie tech suggested, i press and hold the fob in for 30sec to 1 min. That did turn it off. Next day, I got the "defective ign lock; call workshop" msg on dash. CAR WOULD NOT Start at all. Had it flatbed to my indie mechanic, and he diag it as defective ignition switch. Faily cheap part but more involved to replace. took him about 2-3 days from time to get OEM part to install. Will be picking up car tomorrow; will report how it works.
No idea why it suddenly failed; I've had no related issues with my ignition system. Also car only have 60K miles....SIGH
Exact same situation? Did you figure out what the problem was?
Old 04-02-2018, 02:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Faulty ignition defective

I dropped my car Audio Q5 to berry’s to have bodywork and when they returned it the was a key Sybil with a line through it saying ignition lock defective, they have said it’s nothing to do with them although the car was fine when they took it off me 4 days before . Can someone help me please?
Old 04-04-2018, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,871 Likes on 1,590 Posts

If you gave the car with no problems to a shop and the shop returned the car with a problem, and the shop denies any responsibility, then it's time to get a lawyer. But you probably need to have the problem analyzed and see what the possible causes are. Maybe something just needs to be reset/cleared; maybe the likely cause makes it obvious that the shop's work was in a relevant area. How did you drive the car away from the shop with that code? Prior posts in the thread seem to imply the car won't start with that error.
Old 04-09-2019, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Ignition lock defective

Hello, I have just had this warning occur having got home after Audi had done mot and interim service, have you managed to fix yours and if so what was it? Unfortunately my car is going in for some insurance repairs tomorrow so can’t take it back to Audi till I get it back but it is still drivable. I have informed them but all there technicians had finished for the day, I have seen plenty of YouTube fixes for the yellow warning but nothing about this red warning
Old 05-27-2020, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Procomm
Hello, I have just had this warning occur having got home after Audi had done mot and interim service, have you managed to fix yours and if so what was it? Unfortunately my car is going in for some insurance repairs tomorrow so can’t take it back to Audi till I get it back but it is still drivable. I have informed them but all there technicians had finished for the day, I have seen plenty of YouTube fixes for the yellow warning but nothing about this red warning

Apologies on reviving such an old thread, however, I am having this issue currently and a new Ignition Switch (8K0909131C) did not resolve the issue.

I also clear codes and they come right back.

What was the fix for you?
Old 06-03-2020, 01:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Suruki
Hi I have an Audi A4 2010 and when i put the key in the hole (ignition) the dashboard says !Ignition lock defective call workshop! I take off the key and try pushing again in the ignition and no responde and the dashboard no turn on the lights of the dashboard any,
I try to change the battery and the same results
Please any suggestions
I had this last year when I put my A6 in for MOT with Audi, came back with defective lock, had to have my lock replaced at Audi cost just under £500 Because I couldn’t prove it was their fault

Quick Reply: ignition lock defective