A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

install autodimming mirror in 2010 A4

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 07:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default install autodimming mirror in 2010 A4

Audi, in its wisdom, has included interior autodimming mirrors only in its most expensive option-package, the Prestige, for the latest A4's. I just bought a 2010 A4 with the Premium-Plus package, which comes with lots of bells and whistles, except for the one I really want - interior autodimming mirror. It is not even available as a stand-alone option. I don't know what Audi was thinking, since most near-luxury or middling cars have them these days.

I would like to install one in my car. Several dealer service depts. I spoke to said they have never done such a modification before, and thought it may involved major dissembling of the windshield and electrical harness. I have looked at the website for Gentex autodim mirrors, but there is no specific info on what needs to be done for my particular car model.

It seems to me that my current mirror already has an electrical harness running into it. I think there is a forward light sensor in the mounting bracket (for use by the auto-on headlights). Would it be possible to leave the bracket in place and just exchange out the mirror itself?

I would prefer to have this done by a professional who has done this before. Since my local dealers know nothing about it, where should I go look?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bill
Old 10-31-2009, 08:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My dealership said they could install the item if I wanted. I didn't get any specifics on it though. I am also interested.

Criswell Audi in Annapolis MD

They also said they could install wood inlays at around $1400 as opposed to the $400 from the factory so i have no clue what they would charge. I was also disappointed that the factory could not install it at the factory. I ordered mine. Only 3 months to go.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by goshjup
My dealership said they could install the item if I wanted. I didn't get any specifics on it though. I am also interested.

They also said they could install wood inlays at around $1400 as opposed to the $400 from the factory so i have no clue what they would charge. I was also disappointed that the factory could not install it at the factory. I ordered mine. Only 3 months to go.
Your car is still waiting to be built and they can't change this option? This smells like BS so the dealer can charge you a $1,000 premium.
I was able to change my interior trim 11 days before my car entered production.

I'd talk to the sales mgr @ your dealer to get this changed asap.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Gawd, I'm glad I didn't end up going there... I almost called them to see what I could get in terms of an S4. Your issue is dishonest at best and complete fraud at worst.
Not a dealer I would be comfortable going forward with if I were in your position. I'd say threaten them to walk away from the order if they don't change it, since it's still able to be done.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Its possible, but its expensive. You need the side mirror glass and the auto dimming rear view mirror. Luckily P+ cars have the rain/light sensor already. Wiring may or may not be in place for the side mirrors, the wires for the auto dim go into the door controllers. The center mirror likely has all the wires in place due to the rain/light sensor.

Installing the option requires the Bentley manual and careful study of the electrical wiring diagrams. You will likely have to run some wires, it isn't easy. After all that you will need VCDS to reprogram a module or two so the car knows you have autodimming mirrors. This is not an easy DIY job, and its also close to $1000 in parts.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Let me clarify. I was going to get a car off the lot and they said they could change the inlays for that price. I just ended up ordering and getting exactly what I wanted. They are a great dealer so far.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, news to me that Premium Plus dont' have auto dim mirrors. I guess is't time to download pdf file from Audi web site and start reading.
Thanks, Bill

Trending Topics

Old 10-31-2009, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Let me clarify. I was going to get a car off the lot and they said they could change the inlays for that price. I just ended up ordering and getting exactly what I wanted. They are a great dealer so far.
Thanks for clarifying. I almost feel bad for vilifying the dealership now
Old 10-31-2009, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by TIME89
Wow, news to me that Premium Plus dont' have auto dim mirrors. I guess is't time to download pdf file from Audi web site and start reading.
Thanks, Bill
Better yet, download the MY2010 Order Guide with pricing breakdown and available options:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/44nss2
Old 10-31-2009, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
Better yet, download the MY2010 Order Guide with pricing breakdown and available options:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/44nss2
Done. Thank You.
Just hope that our plan for summer ED on Q5 don't get screw up by our employers. You never know......
Edit: Just drive to my very local Audi dealer and ask for A4 and Q5 (and why not, bring A3 also) brosure. Sorry, we out of all printing material.

Last edited by TIME89; 10-31-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Quick Reply: install autodimming mirror in 2010 A4