A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Little Accident

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little Accident

On Thursday, 6/14, I was driving through at a light. A Ford F350 was making a left from the opposite way and clipped me as I was going by. Tore off my rear bumper

Sorry. Not sure how to get the Shutterfly link to work better. Just click the link below for pictures.

<object name="Slideshow" id="Slideshow" width="425" height="425" align="middle" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://www.shutterfly.com/flashapps/flashslideshow/Slideshow.swf" /><param name="flashvars" value="configurl=http%3A%2F%2Fws.shutterfly.com%2F share%2Fexternal_slideshow_config%3Fsid%3D0BasWbdo 0bMXUA" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed id="Slideshow" width="425" height="425" name="Slideshow" align="middle" quality="high" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" flashvars="configurl=http%3A%2F%2Fws.shutterfly.co m%2Fshare%2Fexternal_slideshow_config%3Fsid%3D0Bas Wbdo0bMXUA" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" bgcolor="#869ca7" src="http://www.shutterfly.com/flashapps/flashslideshow/Slideshow.swf"></embed></object><p style="width:425px;margin-top:0;text-align:center;"><a href="http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0BasWbdo0bMXUA&eid=118">Click here to view these pictures larger</a></p>

Last edited by trlyka; 06-16-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is too bad. I am glad the car did its job and kept you safe inside.

Looks like they got the wheel, fender, and bumper. Car might need a ride on a frame jig to make sure the body is still straight. Seems incredible, but a compentent repair of something like this can run 6 to 8K! Hopefully this is your last accident ever.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Moviela
That is too bad. I am glad the car did its job and kept you safe inside.

Looks like they got the wheel, fender, and bumper. Car might need a ride on a frame jig to make sure the body is still straight. Seems incredible, but a compentent repair of something like this can run 6 to 8K! Hopefully this is your last accident ever.
His huge tire rubbed the side and wheel and then caught the bumper just right. 1/2 inch probably would have made the difference :roll eyes:

He was actually a nice guy. He helped my take my bumper off from the passenger side where it was still hanging. He owns a local landscape company and his brother was on the board of my association and is a Realtor like me. Small world!

I'll mention the frame jig to the body shop, but it was a small hit that just did a lot of cosmetic damage I think. I'm still waiting for them to call me with the estimate.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

That should buff right out.

Seriously, what a bummer. I'm going to guess about $3500-$4000 all in before any insurance or reimbursement (I doubt from your description that the frame is bent). Let's see if I'm close. Good luck. A good shop will make it look like new.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
That should buff right out.

Seriously, what a bummer. I'm going to guess about $3500-$4000 all in before any insurance or reimbursement (I doubt from your description that the frame is bent). Let's see if I'm close. Good luck. A good shop will make it look like new.
Whoa! That much? I only have to pay the $500 deductible, then I will get that back. The other guy has NJM too, so I hope it goes smoothly.

We know I need a bumper, then a couple of brackets I assume. I don't think the rim was scratched, but I don't know for sure. Not sure how the paint on the fender did though. I think his tire was the only thing that did the damage.

It better look like new! I will take nothing less.The body shop is right across from the Audi dealership and behind their service garage. I saw mostly Audis in their lot, so I assume they know what they're doing. I was actually going to go to another shop because they didn't fix something on my Moms Escape after her accident last year. The grill was detached, but it was hard to notice. They were supposed to replace/fix it, but they never did. I showed them again and they are ordering the part, so I hope they make good. I only went there because they really do work on a lot of Audis, so there was a certain comfort level I felt. Let's hope I'm right
Old 06-16-2012, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by trlyka
Whoa! That much? I only have to pay the $500 deductible, then I will get that back. The other guy has NJM too, so I hope it goes smoothly.

We know I need a bumper, then a couple of brackets I assume. I don't think the rim was scratched, but I don't know for sure. Not sure how the paint on the fender did though. I think his tire was the only thing that did the damage.

It better look like new! I will take nothing less.The body shop is right across from the Audi dealership and behind their service garage. I saw mostly Audis in their lot, so I assume they know what they're doing. I was actually going to go to another shop because they didn't fix something on my Moms Escape after her accident last year. The grill was detached, but it was hard to notice. They were supposed to replace/fix it, but they never did. I showed them again and they are ordering the part, so I hope they make good. I only went there because they really do work on a lot of Audis, so there was a certain comfort level I felt. Let's hope I'm right
I had someone ding my back bumper. One shop told me I would have to replace the bumper and I seem to recall it was going to be around $1700 to r&r, paint, clear coat, etc. Turn out they were trying to sell me a bill of goods as the shop my audi dealer uses told me they could remove and refinish for about $400. I've had several body work repairs done over the years and everyone I've used did a great job. If your dealer uses these guys, don't sweat it - it's be fine.

Also, I hope the other guy's insurance co. is paying for your repairs if he was at fault. You shouldn't have any deductible or insurance premium bump to worry about. That should be his problem.
Old 06-16-2012, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I had someone ding my back bumper. One shop told me I would have to replace the bumper and I seem to recall it was going to be around $1700 to r&r, paint, clear coat, etc. Turn out they were trying to sell me a bill of goods as the shop my audi dealer uses told me they could remove and refinish for about $400. I've had several body work repairs done over the years and everyone I've used did a great job. If your dealer uses these guys, don't sweat it - it's be fine.

Also, I hope the other guy's insurance co. is paying for your repairs if he was at fault. You shouldn't have any deductible or insurance premium bump to worry about. That should be his problem.
Well, I don't doubt the estimate. I mean nice car=expensive repairs. There were no tickets issued, but it was his fault. I was told I would have to pay the deductible to the body shop and then I would get it back once his insurance paid. Maybe because it would be considered a no fault claim? I will have to call again on Monday to clarify. That was a rough morning, and between the accident, body shop, and car rental, I may not be remembering all that I was told.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, I don't doubt the estimate. I mean nice car=expensive repairs. There were no tickets issued, but it was his fault. I was told I would have to pay the deductible to the body shop and then I would get it back once his insurance paid. Maybe because it would be considered a no fault claim? I will have to call again on Monday to clarify. That was a rough morning, and between the accident, body shop, and car rental, I may not be remembering all that I was told.
In my experience, if the other guy admitted he was at fault, the way it typically works is you and your body shop would be working through his insurance company directly and you shouldn't have to pay anything including a deductible - your insurance co wouldn't even be involved.

If the other guy is not admitting fault then your insurance company comes into play and deductible could apply. If your insurance company goes after his insurance co and recovers, then you should get your deductible back. Watch out though for your insurance company kicking your future premiums up in this case.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

In my experience, if the other guy admitted he was at fault, the way it typically works is you and your body shop would be working through his insurance company directly and you shouldn't have to pay anything including a deductible - your insurance co wouldn't even be involved.

If the other guy is not admitting fault then your insurance company comes into play and deductible could apply. If your insurance company goes after his insurance co and recovers, then you should get your deductible back. Watch out though for your insurance company kicking your future premiums up in this case.
The cop never said anything about fault. I don't know what the other guy told him. I do know I had all the damage and the direction my car was traveling (straight through a light) vs. him making a turn into me before I cleared his vehicle, should be a no brainer.

I called my insurance company to let them know what happened and to make sure I get covered. My insurance company indicated that there won't be any increase in our rates. And they will be going after the other guys insurance for the damage and my deductible. I have to get the difference for my rental from his insurance too. I get $20/day from my ins co and the car is $38.69/day.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The cop never said anything about fault. I don't know what the other guy told him. I do know I had all the damage and the direction my car was traveling (straight through a light) vs. him making a turn into me before I cleared his vehicle, should be a no brainer.

I called my insurance company to let them know what happened and to make sure I get covered. My insurance company indicated that there won't be any increase in our rates. And they will be going after the other guys insurance for the damage and my deductible. I have to get the difference for my rental from his insurance too. I get $20/day from my ins co and the car is $38.69/day.
Sounds like you had no choice in this case but to go through your insurance co. The police report should show you were not at fault and your ins co will collect from his co.

Quick Reply: Little Accident